Songs CHANGED in Quad/5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells - The extra Sailors Hornpipe bit at the end.... I was reminded by seeing him at the opening cermony of the Olympics!!

There are other changes also..

My ex-bro-in-law played Tubular Bells at a party back in the 70s and I was in the quad seat. There was an out-of-the-blue chain saw roaring at the very end.

Great Thread!

On the Wish You Were Here Quad, the most dramatic departure comes at the end of Have A Cigar, where there are several bars of the closing guitar solo that are absent from the stereo release. For years I have been blowing minds of hardcore Floyd Heads by playing them this section. When you know the solo note for note, as most Floyd hardcores would, this extra bit sticks out like a ripe plumb (as opposed to a sore thumb). The solo then proceeds to last longer after the swoosh to mono.

Ken

Yes, there were lots of differences in the quad vinyl copy of Wish You Were Here that I had. (I've dug around but I can't find it now in my collection, but it was my most-played copy of my fave album.) There were different guitar solos, extra bars here, fewer bars there, different wind sounds and the preprise of the last Crazy Diamond part at the end of the first side.

Yes, there were lots of differences in the quad vinyl copy of Wish You Were Here that I had. (I've dug around but I can't find it now in my collection, but it was my most-played copy of my fave album.) There were different guitar solos, extra bars here, fewer bars there, different wind sounds and the preprise of the last Crazy Diamond part at the end of the first side.

Looks like you quoted my 14th post ever on the forum. Cool to see it pop up again! Thanks!

Looks like you quoted my 14th post ever on the forum. Cool to see it pop up again! Thanks!

Actually, that was just my own current recollection. I'd love to read your post, if you can post a link.

I was disappointed that the Wish Immersion box did not have the version from my quad vinyl included. I did not have a quad system back then, but loved to play that in stereo. My fave Dark Side was the British quad, as I found the bass was more solid, so I bought Wish in quad too, and was blown away that it was actually different versions of several songs and not just a different mix.

Eddie's passing reminded me that "Running With The Devil" on VH's Best Vol. 1 has the verses and guitar solo in different order than the original album version. The solo that comes after the second verse on the original album version moves to after the first verse, the third verse becomes the second verse and the second verse becomes the third. The second solo moves between the second and third verses instead of after the third verse. With this arrangement the song ends with a verse and chorus rather than a solo and chorus. It sounds like it its the same take (I think the solo in both versions is actually the same recording repeated), just a different arrangement via editing.

Last edited:
The first one that popped into my head was Bon Jovi - "Livin' on a Prayer". 5.1 DVDA version has a completely different ending. I guess I'm the only hair band kid from the 80s. I must've heard it on MTV a million times, it has been burned into my brain and the different ending still makes me smirk a little every time I listen to it.

The first one that popped into my head was Bon Jovi - "Livin' on a Prayer". 5.1 DVDA version has a completely different ending. I guess I'm the only hair band kid from the 80s. I must've heard it on MTV a million times, it has been burned into my brain and the different ending still makes me smirk a little every time I listen to it.

In addition to the extended ending, there are a few other differences - the intro has extra sound effects (what sounds like birds chirping?) and the signature talkbox part comes in earlier. Also, the talkbox track was left open during the verses on the 5.1, whereas it was brought in-and-out at key moments on the original stereo.

"Running With The Devil" on VH's Best Vol. 1 has the verses and guitar solo in different order than the original album version.

If you’re going to bring up, on a surround forum, tracks that have never been available in surround it’s probably best to at least mention that. Many newcomers will get their hopes up and wonder why they can’t find the surround release.

[from Wikipedia]

Initial pressings of the Van Halen compilation Best Of, Vol.1 contained an alternate edit of "Runnin' with the Devil" where the verses, chorus and solos were arranged in a different order than that of the original album version. It was reported that this was accidental and subsequent pressings have replaced this version with the one found on Van Halen.

If you’re going to bring up, on a surround forum, tracks that have never been available in surround it’s probably best to at least mention that. Many newcomers will get their hopes up and wonder why they can’t find the surround release.

[from Wikipedia]

Initial pressings of the Van Halen compilation Best Of, Vol.1 contained an alternate edit of "Runnin' with the Devil" where the verses, chorus and solos were arranged in a different order than that of the original album version. It was reported that this was accidental and subsequent pressings have replaced this version with the one found on Van Halen.

Plus some veterans who wonder if they were asleep and somehow missed out on yet another Holy Grail. :sleep:

I don't think anyone has mentioned this one yet, but Atom Heart Mother is probably my favorite Floyd album—I play the title track in quad pretty regularly (from the Early Years BD) but last night let the whole album play through for a more critical listen and realized the guitar solo in Fat Old Sun is a completely different take!

I posted this in the poll thread for James Taylor's "One Man Dog", but not many noticed it, so here it is again. Listen to the file, it's pretty cool

Here's the deal with 'One Man Dog'. I spent an afternoon with the Quad Reel and the CD of the title. Here's what I found. The tracks with significant differences I put in bold:

01-One Man Dog (Different Lead Vocal, Longer Fade-Out on the Quad, considerably longer)
02-Nobody But You (Longer Fade on Quad, considerably longer)
03-Chili Dog (Both the Same)
04-Fool For You (Different Lead Vocal)
05-Instrumental I (Quad Fade lasts longer at higher level, but about the same length)
06-New Tune (Both the Same)
07-Back on the Street (Both the Same)
08-Don't Let Me Be Lonely (Both the Same)
09-Woh, Don't You Know (Completely Different Take, Vocal, Time)
10-One Morning in May (Both the Same)
11-Instrumental 2 (Both the Same)
12-Someone (Both the Same)
13-Hymn (Both the Same)
14-Fanfare (Different Vocal Track)
15-Little David (Both the Same)
16-Mescalito (Both the Same)
17-Dance (Both the Same)
18-Jig (Both the Same)

Now, here's a treat for those that can play quad (6ch) files. I am posting a link (for informational purposes only. like they do on YouTube). It's a file with the STEREO version of the title track in the FRONTS, and the front channels of the QUADRAPHONIC reel in the rears. If you play it here, or download it and play it, you can hear James sing the stereo vocal in the fronts while he sings the quad vocals in the rears.

If you play it right from the link, you should get a stereo blend, which will allow you to hear the two lead tracks together

It's pretty closely in sync. It wasn't easy for me to do, so it's not totally perfect, but you can clearly hear the passages where his voice goes up or down on one track while he goes in the opposite direction in the other. Most of the track he stays the same, which is pretty amazing if the entire track is two completely different takes.

You can also hear (or see and watch) the extended fade. In fact, on the CD, the next tune had already started before the fade was over on the quad, thus extending the length of the entire recording, which is duplicated with a few other tracks. That is why the quad version clocks in longer than the stereo.

https://mega.nz/file/7UozGSKa#8dbFLOXmTXWJ0_Te-vSrHQiKTGGeCUWWRjLC0M4woQ8

Just re-visited this title (first surround disc I bought), came looking for a place to post, saw this thread had revived. :)

A wonderful minute-long intro with Joe South noodling on guitar as Aretha warms up her pipes in the gospel tradition, much like Pop Staples and Mavis.
A bonus that makes this disc literally worth its weight in gold.

https://www.discogs.com/release/6087883-Aretha-Franklin-The-Best-Of-Aretha-Franklin
The disc also includes a rare version of “Chain Of Fools” with an extended introduction.
This version was released in stereo in 1995 as part of Rhino’s expanded edition of Lady Soul."

The trademark tremolo guitar licks at the introduction were played by Joe South.
The song was edited for LP & 45;
the original long version appeared on the quadrophonic LP The Best of Aretha Franklin in 1973
(later released on a quadrophonic DVD by Rhino in 2010), and on the 1995 Rhino remastering of Lady Soul.

RecordedFebruary 16 – December 20, 1967
StudioFAME Studios (Muscle Shoals, AL)

Screen Shot 2022-03-29 at 11.41.52 AM.png

A wonderful minute-long intro with Joe South noodling on guitar as Aretha warms up her pipes in the gospel tradition, much like Pop Staples and Mavis.
A bonus that makes this disc literally worth its weight in gold.

Well over 40 years ago I heard the quad version on a mono clock radio when a then-quad radio station played it. As soon as that little guitar lick popped up at the beginning, I knew what the song was...but then suddenly it was COMPLETELY different! I had no clue what was going on and didn't figure it out definitively until decades later when a stereo mixdown appeared on a reissue of Lady Soul.

In the SQ album of David Essex “Rock On,” the title track has an extra echo in the back. Kind of disturbing.

Quite right, Penny restored loads of elements that were muted on the originals. A few more that come to mind are Writing (backing vocals during guitar solo) and We All Fall in Love Sometimes (additional Mellotron and string synth, if memory serves, in bridge).

Most thrilling for me is that occasionally we‘re treated to Elton’s piano during sections where muted in the stereo mix. These include Lucy in the Sky and Saturday Night’s Alright.

Lots of little bits added into the Greg Penny 5.1 mixes of Elton albums, including..

- added effects in "Jamaica Jerk Off" on the GYBR SACD/DVDA (including Bernie shouting in his best cod-West Indian accent.. "Watch out now!"),

- new guitar parts by Caleb Quaye in "Where to now St.Peter" on the Tumbleweed SACD,

- longer version "Razor Face", with extended jam, on the Madman SACD.

There are others, that's just a few examples off the top of my head.

Back