Songs with 3 -- count 'em, THREE! Different Surround Mixes

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eggplant

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
There are many things I've lived to see that I never thought I would. Somewhere near the top is this: there are popular recordings that have three different, true discrete surround mixes. Quite a few, actually!

We could have started with those that have two, but amazingly, there's too many of them. In this case, three's not a crowd.

Here's the list:

Come on, you didn't really want me to spoil the fun, did you?
Course not. So I'll give you just one example to get you started:

Deep Purple Machine Head (entire album)

1) U.S. quad mix (CD-4, Q8, QR)
2) British quad mix (SQ, others)
3) DVD-Audio mix

But first, let's agree on the definition of an alternate mix. Each must be:

1) From the same recording. An instrument added or removed is okay, as are different effects, but all must be from the same performance. (Gets a little complicated for recordings with the same rhythm tracks but different vocals, but still.)

2) True surround from multitrack sources, 4.0 or higher.

Good hunting!

john lennon
Jealous Guy......Imagine Q8/SQ Quad

Jealous Guy.... Imagine dvd 5.1 (although the vocal is different, it is the same take and everything else is mixed differently)

Jealous Guy..... Lennon legend dvd 5.1

john lennon
Jealous Guy......Imagine Q8/SQ Quad

Jealous Guy.... Imagine dvd 5.1 (although the vocal is different, it is the same take and everything else is mixed differently)

Jealous Guy..... Lennon legend dvd 5.1

The Imagine DVD -- is that the feature film from the 90's?
How does that mix differ from that on Legend?

can't remember the exact dvd will know later tonight when i look,from memory it was the imagine lp sesions which had parts of the movie in it, plus more.
the quad mixes have the vocal double tracked stereo front left and right, whereas the 5.1 mixes have a mono centre channel lead vocal.
the imagine dvd has the orchestra in stereo , mainly in the rear speakers, with a lead vocal take that matches the video (like the Billy Joel dvd mixes).

I'm listening to the sacd (quad) and dvd-a of the Deep Purple right now. Both mixes are great. I'd like to take the center speaker of the dvd-a, a mix of the fronts from both and the surrounds from the quad and make a best of channels mix.

I'm listening to the sacd (quad) and dvd-a of the Deep Purple right now. Both mixes are great. I'd like to take the center speaker of the dvd-a, a mix of the fronts from both and the surrounds from the quad and make a best of channels mix.

Although I prefer the SACD (quad version), I agree the DVD-Audio mix is good.
One obnoxious flaw: the opening bass notes on Smoke on the Water are missing (track punched in late). Also the flanged drum effect on the ending is botched. Take a listen to both versions and you'll hear the difference.

Back