Sonic Benefits of 8 Channel exaSound e38 DAC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Interesting topic. I too was of the opinion that stereo SACD offered no advantage over well done red book CD. I actually sold several stereo SACDs because of this conclusion. Then I got the Oppo 205. As Ralph said, its SACD performance is superb...so much so that I now regret selling those SACDs. So perhaps the machine plays a significant role in the comparison.

It definitely does. You'll find further sonic benefits to the DSD 64 files from SACDs on a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) like the exaSound e38 compared to an SACD player.
Not to mention recordings in DSD 128 and DSD 256.

More listening enjoyment - and sonic improvements - as the DAC improves. :)

You'll find further sonic benefits to the DSD 64 files from SACDs on a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) like the exaSound e38 compared to an SACD player.
Not to mention recordings in DSD 128 and DSD 256.

That exaSound e38 costs about $4k if I recall correctly. How much more bang for the buck is there over a lowly Oppo 205? Let's face it, the sky is the limit on the cost of audiophile equipment! And size too when it comes to speakers.

That exaSound e38 costs about $4k if I recall correctly. How much more bang for the buck is there over a lowly Oppo 205? Let's face it, the sky is the limit on the cost of audiophile equipment! And size too when it comes to speakers.

I have no doubt that the exaSound unit sounds impressive...but the $4k is just the beginning...it will only be as good as it's supporting cast...you have to have balance....if the other elements of your system aren't equally impressive you are wasting your time and money...

I have no doubt that the exaSound unit sounds impressive...but the $4k is just the beginning...it will only be as good as it's supporting cast...you have to have balance....if the other elements of your system aren't equally impressive you are wasting your time and money...

Every upgrade in an audio system adds more benefits. Adding an exaSound e38 DAC to an audio system is a fine start! :)

BlackFriday-day-e38-header.png

https://www.exasound.com/Products/e38MarkII8-channelDAC.aspx

The new model of the exaSound e38 - the e38 Mark II - will be debuted at the AXPONA Audio Show next month in Chicago.
That will include a demo of Multichannel DSD music in the exaSound room at the show. Definitely worth checking out for QQ members in the Chicago area.
http://www.axpona.com/exhibitors_detail.asp?ID=23427

Another thing to mention is that exaSound does offer a 30-day money back guarantee on all of their products since all but one (PlayPoint DM) are only available direct from exaSound.
So you can buy one, try it and if it doesn't pass master, it can be returned. (I'm told by exaSound that once their DACs are sent out they rarely come back).

As for the price, the reason exaSound is able to sell most of their audiophile DACs at under $4,000 is that they sell direct - eliminating the distributor and dealer markups.
The one product they have through dealers, the Stereo PlayPoint DM, sells for $14,000 which includes the markups.

There is something you have to realize....you can't compare an Oppo to a Digital Processor...they are two different machines with different objectives...I agree that the exaSound is superb...and to be candid... it should outperform an Oppo for the limited things it does and the cost of the unit.....conversely the Oppo does many things an exaSound can't do....that's why I call the Oppo the swiss army knife of electronics...the reality is that anyone that has discs or still buys discs needs a disc player...something the exaSound can't do...if doesn't have to be an Oppo....you can go the inexpensive route...to get by with limited playing of actual discs...although I think some are realizing now that the Sony X800 isn't the great bargain most thought it was and I suspect more problems will arise in the future with this model....

Every upgrade in an audio system adds more benefits. Adding an exaSound e38 DAC to an audio system is a fine start! :)

Sure it's a "start"...but if you don't continue upgrading your system you won't utilize the potential of the exasound...I've been toying with the idea of getting one...this isn't one of those companies that all of a sudden strikes gold with a specific model....they have offered outstanding models for several years...and you are spot on that their business model actually lends itself to a better situation for consumers...and most of all you deal with THE company...not some retailer who sells many product lines and can't offer you the type of service that the manufacturer can provide...

One of these days Brian I might just take the plunge🤓

There is something you have to realize....you can't compare an Oppo to a Digital Processor...they are two different machines with different objectives...I agree that the exaSound is superb...and to be candid... it should outperform an Oppo for the limited things it does and the cost of the unit.....conversely the Oppo does many things an exaSound can't do....that's why I call the Oppo the swiss army knife of electronics...the reality is that anyone that has discs or still buys discs needs a disc player...something the exaSound can't do...if doesn't have to be an Oppo....you can go the inexpensive route...to get by with limited playing of actual discs...although I think some are realizing now that the Sony X800 isn't the great bargain most thought it was and I suspect more problems will arise in the future with this model....

Yes, you do need a disc player to play discs directly and to transfer the DSD music files from the SACD discs to files for playback on a DAC like the exaSound e38 (or others).
I have an Oppo 105 here for that very purpose.

And yes, a dedicated Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) generally provides better sound quality than an SACD player in large part because the DAC section of an SACD player only makes up part of the cost of that player.
I've been told by audio manufacturers that the disc play mechanism in a CD/SACD/DVD/BD player is a) the "part most likely to fail" on these products and b) in some cases 30% to 40% of the cost of such a product.

So it's no surprise that many audio companies are anxious and indeed happy to exit the disc player part of the market.
It also tells me that it is time to back up the optical discs to files before the remaining players exit the disc player field.

I am sorry, we offer the e38 only with silver-aluminum finish. The only available upgrade is balanced outputs with Mini-XLR connectors.

Now we have the official word from George Klissarov at exaSound (aka exo065 here on QQ).
Silver Aluminum finish only on the e38 Mark II.

Thanks to George K. for the info/clarification.

Great to see Teddy Pardo products on QQ, albeit only as a power supply to the Exasound DAC. I've got a TP amplifier and barring a seismic shift in my finances, it's the amplifier I expect to own till death do us part. I used to use a TP PSU with my old Naim amp and it made music so much better all round so anyone who manages to get a TP PSU with the new Exasound DAC can rest assured that the PSU will be a step-up in the right direction... heck, make that a step-up in All Directions when it comes the kind of music we like at QQ :)

51P2HIudYVL.jpg

Great to see Teddy Pardo products on QQ, albeit only as a power supply to the Exasound DAC. I've got a TP amplifier and barring a seismic shift in my finances, it's the amplifier I expect to own till death do us part. I used to use a TP PSU with my old Naim amp and it made music so much better all round so anyone who manages to get a TP PSU with the new Exasound DAC can rest assured that the PSU will be a step-up in the right direction... heck, make that a step-up in All Directions when it comes the kind of music we like at QQ :)

51P2HIudYVL.jpg

Looks like a great piece (s) of gear; I'd need to audition it first to see if I can even tell the difference between DSD 64 to DSD 128 and DSD 256.
- Papa -all he left us was alone. Could have been a loan. Either wayo_O

The exasound has been on my radar since Brian turned me onto it awhile ago. All my music is played via JRiver from my Intel Nuc/ Synology NAS hard drive USB out into my McIntosh D150 external DAC, super great for stereo only.
My MCH files are played via JRiver Intel NUC/ Synology NAS hard drive HDMI out into my AVR.

My ultimate hope is that McIntosh makes an external DAC that plays MCH like the exasound38 does, plus the D150 only plays DSD up to single and double rate DSD, max.

Almost 2 years ago I talked to the owner of exasound, very nice guy, how to intergrate the exasound into my system, (not as simple as plug and play with amps and stuff) he actually took the time and laid out what I need to purchase along with the exasound, but I lost email and at that time I was unable to take the plunge as it was to overwhelming. Now I am better at the whole digital file/playing thing.
I emailed him a few months ago, but he either was very busy or thought, same guy/same question and did not reply.

I know the exasound would be perfect for me, I just need to get confirmed on the connections to have it play within my entire system. I might be happier with a McIntosh mch DAC but if you ask McIntosh about a possible future release they will answer with "we only comment on current releases, not future releases).

The exasound has been on my radar since Brian turned me onto it awhile ago. All my music is played via JRiver from my Intel Nuc/ Synology NAS hard drive USB out into my McIntosh D150 external DAC, super great for stereo only.
My MCH files are played via JRiver Intel NUC/ Synology NAS hard drive HDMI out into my AVR.

My ultimate hope is that McIntosh makes an external DAC that plays MCH like the exasound38 does, plus the D150 only plays DSD up to single and double rate DSD, max.

Almost 2 years ago I talked to the owner of exasound, very nice guy, how to intergrate the exasound into my system, (not as simple as plug and play with amps and stuff) he actually took the time and laid out what I need to purchase along with the exasound, but I lost email and at that time I was unable to take the plunge as it was to overwhelming. Now I am better at the whole digital file/playing thing.
I emailed him a few months ago, but he either was very busy or thought, same guy/same question and did not reply.

I know the exasound would be perfect for me, I just need to get confirmed on the connections to have it play within my entire system. I might be happier with a McIntosh mch DAC but if you ask McIntosh about a possible future release they will answer with "we only comment on current releases, not future releases).

The guy you need to talk to was here today...here is a little trip on the forum time machine...back to 2011

I might be happier with a McIntosh mch DAC but if you ask McIntosh about a possible future release they will answer with "we only comment on current releases, not future releases).
AFAIK, the only multichannel components McIntosh makes are power amps and the MX160 and MX122 A/V PROCESSORs. I would be surprised if they would make a mch DAC.

Back