Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerking

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
The purpose of this thread is to provide a clear way to rip SACD's using a Sony Blu-Ray player.

To start off, you will need to purchase (if you do not have one!!) one of the following.
This is a list of those players that are known to work with the process.

Sony brand compatible Blu-ray players:

BDP-S390 (also sold as BX39 in some markets)
BDP-S490
BDP-S590 (also sold as BX59 in some markets)
BDP-S4100
BDP-S5100 (also sold as BX510 in some markets)

Firstly, I must make it clear, that I will be using information from a site called HI FI Haven along with my own experiences.
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/

This site is extremely useful to read up on the process and the Moderator is genuine and very helpful.
Pupster and myself have both used the site and discussed our issues with the Moderator (Mikey Fresh)
My intention is to consolidate the information provided and not to replace the hard work that has been used in the thread on HI Fi Haven.
If this has already been covered elsewhere on QQ specifically for Sony Blu-Ray players please let me know.
More to follow....

Great initiative for those that don’t want to track down the fairly prizey Oppos/Pioneers/Cambridges or the cheaper but at the same time harder to find Pioneers. At least in Sweden and Europe, Sonys players are pretty easy to track down to good prizes.

Looking forward to read this, I plan on getting a Sony for backup to my existing Pioneer.

The next item I recommend purchasing brand new, is a USB 2.0 thumb drive. The reason for a '2.0' drive is that its been proven to work with these older Sony players.

This drive will need to be completely clear of any files or folders that may have been shipped with it. It will also need to be formatted to FAT32.
As it will need a programme installed to enable the ripping to start.
The following : is the link to download the Autoscript folder for the USB drive

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gnpma48c...kFSa/AutoScript?dl=0&subfolder_nav_tracking=1

The link contains the appropriate AutoScript folder for the Sony units that are listed as compatible models. (download the entire enclosing folder called AutoScript):

index.php

The above links contain AutoScript folders and file contents that are known to work using the Blu-ray player as the 'server method' in conjunction with SACDExtractGUI ( I will explain about this method in subsequent posts) applications.

Alert Please do not open or do anything else with the files once on the USB drive, as this could potentially stop the process working.

The download will arrive in a zip format to be extracted to the USB drive.

The USB drive in Windows 10 will look like this:

index.php

I have been using a Sony S4100 model and have updated the software to the latest available which is M15-R-0255
These updates have not shown any adverse effects to the process.

More to follow:

Once you have the Sony Player it needs to have an initial set up:

1. Setup -> Audio Settings -> DSD Output Mode (Off)

2. Setup -> BD/DVD Viewing Settings -> BD Internet Connection (Do not allow)

3. Setup -> Music Settings -> Super Audio CD Playback Layer (SACD)

4. Setup -> System Settings -> Quick Start Mode (On)

5 Also make a note of the IP address as this will be required in the SACDExtractGUI ripping process.

Last edited:
This entire process relies on your system having a network correctly enabled so that all the relevant equipment can 'talk' to one another.

Once you are confident that is the case the next part is where the ripping process begins.

With the Sony player powered off insert the USB drive into the rear of the unit.( there is a front port but I'm sticking with what I know works)

Power on the Sony player

After a short pause the disc tray will open

Place SACD disc in the tray and power off.

Then wait until there is nothing showing on the Sony player as to its current state (It should show nothing)

This will prove that the USB drive is set up correctly and the next process is ready to be started.

Once that is the case the USB drive can be removed

Last edited:
Setting up the the SACDExtractGUI ripping software.
1549794369474809961370.jpg

This picture shows how mine is set up to rip and proof that it works with a current rip in process.

The first hurdle is checking the IP address, it normally needs changing to exactly what you recorded from the Sony player and that will, normally, result in replacing the information in box 4 in the server code.

It's then down to you to set your preferences. I only require dsf and multichannel music. And then select where you would like the rip folder to go. I just set up a simple folder in my external hard drive as is shown.

Once you a happy that you have set the correct parameters and pinged and tested it, you should be ready to press rip.

This takes a few seconds for the Sony to respond but you should then see the process starting.

More to follow:

I hope all this has worked!!
The next step is to rip the next and subsequent SACD's

After the first rip shows done, open the disc tray on the Sony player.
Replace the SACD with another one.
Power off the machine.
Wait until nothing shows on the player then start the rip process again.

This can be repeated for as long as you wish to rip.
If for whatever reason the Sony player has a change of heart the USB process can be used over and over again by just following the initial USB instructions.

In shutting down the PC all the relevent information will have to be re-entered in the SACD Extract Gui, before using it again.

I would keep the USB safe and not use it for anything else.

I have purchased JRiver to play my dsf folders and the rest of my music files as I find it more intuitive.

I am a complete novice when it comes to this process and my only hope is that I've given you some help in completing a successful rip.
I will try to answer what I can but my advice is to connect with Mikey Fresh over at Hi-Fi Haven.

Happy ripping!!(y):LB

Last edited:
I successfully ripped my entire 100+ disc SACD collection using a Sony BDP-S5100 and an iMac. If anyone gets into a snag feel free to send me a PM...although beerking seems to have graciously volunteered to be the QQ Sony Blu-ray SACD ripping ambassador.

Also, I have not had any problems using a SanDisk 16GB USB drive (FAT32 pre-formatted), available at Walmart, for the AutoScript program.

I successfully ripped my entire 100+ disc SACD collection using a Sony BDP-S5100 and an iMac. If anyone gets into a snag feel free to send me a PM...although beerking seems to have graciously volunteered to be the QQ Sony Blu-ray SACD ripping ambassador.

Also, I have not had any problems using a SanDisk 16GB USB drive (FAT32 pre-formatted), available at Walmart, for the AutoScript program.

Which software version ? I have found a S5100 nearby for sale.

Brilliant reply AR!!
Always good to hear of another QQ'r who has used this process successfully. It can seem a bit daunting at first to complete the ripping of SACD's..it certainly was for me.:unsure::)

Is it possible to connect the Sony player directly to the PC via ethernet ? A crossed Cat6 ?

I would say no...although I don't know. My PC and player are individually connected to the router. My home internet system uses Ethernet power adaptors this proved fatal to the ripping process...hence going back to basics and hard wiring the two machines while I'm ripping.
I havnt tried using Wi-Fi as my player doesn't have it.

Last edited:
This is my question as well. Why can't we go Blu-ray player to Windows PC?
I have all I need to start, but just how safe is this software to go over a router?
So far, sort of a deal breaker going over the router. But might try it. The Sony has WiFi.

Unfortunately the network sytem used for this ripping wont work if you do.
I know as i tried it..As like you I had concerns.
But I'm happy now that that it's up and running and ripping away..(which I'm still doing as I type..SACD disc 101!!)

Back