Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not really a failure but a designed in anticopy protection by Sony the designer of SACD
Let's call it an intentional failure, then.

Sony has a long history of creating proprietary formats to use in place of perfectly good standards (e.g., Memory Stick, speaker connectors, WM-PORT/USB cables). I suppose SACD is pretty much par for the course.

Let's call it an intentional failure, then.

Sony has a long history of creating proprietary formats to use in place of perfectly good standards (e.g., Memory Stick, speaker connectors, WM-PORT/USB cables). I suppose SACD is pretty much par for the course.
Yea, it was a pretty strong DRM security measure that turned out quite a bit harder to hack than DVD's or BlueRay's. But in the end, just like the Japanese WW II code, it was eventually broken. LOL

I received my eBay BDP-S390 today as a backup to my Oppo 105 - first rip done successfully. This removed my single-point-of-failure and can now search out the dwindling supply of SACDs with impunity... :dance
Good to hear. Now get ready to start adding on some harddrive storage. It adds up super fast with multich sacd's. LOL

Greetings fellow Quadrophonetic Quintessentialists,

May I present to you a new ARMinfo script release.
It's purpose is rather simple - identify all MediaTek-based disc players which might be capable of ripping Super Audio-CDs.
The current & confirmed SACD-ripping device list is as follows:

SACD AutoRip_overview_v4a.png

Additional players of particular interest & likely compatibility are:

• Marantz UD7007
  • Pioneer BDP-LX58 / BDP-85FD
  • Pioneer BDP-LX88 / BDP-88FD
  • Sony BDP-S5200 / BDP-BX520
  • Sony BDP-A6000
  • Sony UHP-H1 (aka Sony's first DVD-Audio player)

Any feedback 📣 (preferably with txt files) is always welcome, even for incompatible models (=kernel mismatch)!

It's purpose is rather simple - identify all MediaTek-based disc players which might be capable of ripping Super Audio-CDs.

• Marantz UD7007
  • Sony BDP-A6000

Any feedback 📣 (preferably with txt files) is always welcome, even for incompatible models (=kernel mismatch)!
A huge welcome to QQ , Nexus 3, you know me better as Kingy over on HiFiHaven. Now you are here, I know we are in safe hands.
I look forward to you keeping the QQ SACD ripping community up to speed, with all the new developments.

• Marantz UD7007
  • Sony BDP-A6000

Thrilled to have you here @Nexus3 :D

On SACD's with multi-channel and stereo layers, does "AutoRip" put them in separate folders on the flash drive?

No, you get a FULL decrypted copy in a single ISO file.

This backup can be played back or even burned onto a DVD-R - the resulting SACD-R is playable on older disc players.
You would have to use sacd_extract (client tool for PC) to extract the stereo or multichannel tracks out of the ISO.

I've attached the output from a Sony UHP-H1. No clue what this means, or what I do next, but hopefully you'll find these useful

• Marantz UD7007
  • Sony BDP-A6000

Attachments

• chipsetinfo-v6.txt
    10.9 KB · Views: 177
  • kernelinfo.txt
    87 bytes · Views: 139
  • chipsetinfov7.txt
    10.5 KB · Views: 150
I've attached the output from a Sony UHP-H1. No clue what this means, or what I do next, but hopefully you'll find these useful

Most definitely they are very useful! Congratulations are in order - you might have discovered the newest & most advanced Sony player model capable of SACD ripping - providing none of the early UHD models join the club on a last note.

That looks promising for AutoRip A6.

Indeed AutoRip A6 is the way to go - if you have a SACD at hand please try to rip it, @Sixtyten !

As for the ongoing S6700 riddle or dilemma, we are now collecting Serial Numbers of this Sony unit in order to pinpoint (in the broadest sense of the word) the SN range or production year from when things became incompatible.

If you are willing to help out, just drop off your SN (first 5 digits) into the last sheet - HERE.

There is also a newly discovered player model capable of ripping SACDs worth mentioning - the Yamaha BD-S677 !
Hopefully we can also add the Sony UHP-H1 & other Yamahas onto this list soon:

SACD AutoRip_overview_v5a.png

Okay - how exactly do I do this? I've waited until the drawer opened, stuck in an SACD and watched the drawer close. Then what? Do I turn the player off (nothing happened) or leave the player on (ditto on the nothing happening)?

Okay - how exactly do I do this? I've waited until the drawer opened, stuck in an SACD and watched the drawer close. Then what? Do I turn the player off (nothing happened) or leave the player on (ditto on the nothing happening)?

You do not turn the player off with AutoRip.

Using AutoRip A6, if your flash drive has an LED activity indicator you will see it flashing if an ISO is being written. If you see that, congrats, it would appear you have a rip in progress.

If your flash drive does not have an LED activity indicator, just be patient, the disc tray a will reopen when the rip is done. Rip time varies by disc play time length, and also stereo only vs. stereo + mch.

Stereo only SACDs only take around 10-12 minutes, stereo+ mch about double that, depending on total play time of the album.

Bought a Sony BDP-S6700 from 220 Electronics for around $200, now I know normal ones are less than $100 but this one is a Multi REGION player for both DVDs and BDs...
I have another one that I got at Walmart in 2017 for about $100 that is only region A and 1...I noticed this one has had a firmware update cause the home screen is different...now...I wonder... would it be possible to convert the old one to MultiRegion ???

Back