Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The discs play fine on my Oppo. Does anyone have ideas about these errors?
The errors on all three are with the TOC (table of contents). First move is to carefully and thoroughly clean the play surface of the disc. If that doesn't work, does SACDExtractGui have an "ignore TOC" checkbox option? I can't remember. If so, try that.

A plan is only as good as its execution - well done! 👏

Though we have a working solution now - featuring a manual channel swap, which btw is also necessary for a remote rip (via LAN) - there might be something better.

This could be a long shot, but here is yet another modified A6 script - very similar to the neos.

As you can see no more manual action is required here - my major concern is however, that the shut-off command (issued between no.3 & 4) might be too old and hence ignored by newer Sony players.

Good luck!

I can't get this to work at all. The drawer opens, disc inserted then nothing. But I've ripped more using the previous version of the script.

The errors on all three are with the TOC (table of contents). First move is to carefully and thoroughly clean the play surface of the disc. If that doesn't work, does SACDExtractGui have an "ignore TOC" checkbox option? I can't remember. If so, try that.

I second this, that's too coincidental that all 3 discs are showing an error related to reading the TOC, those discs must be scratched or dirty.
The TOC is found along the inner hub where the drive spindle clamps the disc, so towards the very center of the disc and not the outer edge.
Unfortunately there is no such option in the GUI to ignore the TOC.

Hello everybody, I am a newbie to SACD ripping. I made the USB drive as instructed, my Sony BDP-S4100 behaves as described, I taught myself how to execute a Java program in a DOS box. The program is SACDExtractGUI.
The ping shows the correct IP address but the TEST gives the following answer: [FAILURE] Port 2002 of 192.168.2.12 is inaccessible.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful. Thank you all!

EDIT: Well actually it is working now. I have to sheepishly admit that I have re-read the instructions with more care and discovered that I need to leave the player tray OPEN when switching it into sleep mode. Also a BUDA folder had to be removed from the USB drive.

As an aside for everybody, I updated the S4100 player today 31 july 2020 and it all still works perfectly.
Best wishes to all.

Last edited:
Hello everybody, I am a newbie to SACD ripping. I made the USB drive as instructed, my Sony BDP-S4100 behaves as described, I taught myself how to execute a Java program in a DOS box. The program is SACDExtractGUI.
The ping shows the correct IP address but the TEST gives the following answer: [FAILURE] Port 2002 of 192.168.2.12 is inaccessible.

EDIT: Well actually it is working now. I have to sheepishly admit that I have re-read the instructions with more care and discovered that I need to leave the player tray OPEN when switching it into sleep mode. Also a BUDA folder had to be removed from the USB drive.

As an aside for everybody, I updated the S4100 player today 31 july 2020 and it all still works perfectly.
Best wishes to all.
Congratulations!

Just to clarify, the Buda folder will be rewitten to the drive by the player, you can ignore it, it will not interfere with ripping.

Best wishes to all.
Brilliant Bas
Always great to read of folks success with this potentially, daunting task.
Happy ripping!! :SG

PS: You have the same player as me, which I use solely for ripping.

Sorry I didn't make that clear. The tray retracts.
Well the suspect really ignores the old IR commands via script, I tried to come up with an alternative as a shutdown command:

CLI(CLI_exec reboot) instead of CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0x8f000)

but this one does not delay for any player activity and reboots right away. I will give this a rest for now and release the semi-automated script 🥴.
Thanks for all the testing @Sixtyten - at least owners of the Sony UHP-H1 from the US if not the rest of the world, won't need this workaround.

SACD AutoRip_overview_v6.png

At the other end of the spectrum there is also a new SACD-ripping compatible model - the Sony BDV-E190.

According not only to the manuals but also to the firmware update notes (US/UK) the following product family members should join this list sooner or later:

• BDV-E290
  • BDV-E385
  • BDV-E390
  • BDV-E490
  • BDV-E690
  • BDV-EF220
  • BDV-EF420
  • BDV-T39

@kap'n krunch , how are those S6700 tests coming along?

Last edited:
Well the suspect really ignores the old IR commands via script, I tried to come up with an alternative as a shutdown command:

CLI(CLI_exec reboot) instead of CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0x8f000)

but this one does not delay for any player activity and reboots right away. I will give this a rest for now and release the semi-automated script 🥴.
Thanks for all the testing @Sixtyten - at least owners of the Sony UHP-H1 from the US if not the rest of the world, won't need this workaround.

At the other end of the spectrum there is also a new SACD-ripping compatible model - the Sony BDV-E190.

According not only to the manuals but also to the firmware update notes (US/UK) the following product family members should join this list sooner or later:

• BDV-E290
  • BDV-E385
  • BDV-E390
  • BDV-E490
  • BDV-E690
  • BDV-EF220
  • BDV-EF420
  • BDV-T39

@kap'n krunch , how are those S6700 tests coming along?
oh, shit... was I supposed to have been testing???
sooo.. let me know how I should start!

Not spending enough on MCH BR and DVD releases I say to myself, how can QQ further spike my spending. If I pick up a Sony BDP-S6500 then it looks like SA-CD answers that question. It seems straightforward enough, any compelling reason to get a different model?

Brilliant Bas
Always great to read of folks success with this potentially, daunting task.
Happy ripping!! :SG

PS: You have the same player as me, which I use solely for ripping.
Hi Beerking and of course everybody else here.
Since I would prefer a standalone SACD-ripping system without impacting on the computer network in my home/office, I just went ahead and tried to connect my Windows-10 Dell laptop directly to my Sony BDP-S4100 player. I used a twisted LAN cable. Please don't ask me about the connections. Every hardware store sells these in the cable section. Just look for the word TWIST on the packaging. I used the Network menu in Windows 10. After switching everything on it took a minute or more before the Sony player appeared in the list of (Network) Media Devices. Clicking properties on that icon will reveal the player's new IP number, in my case it was 169.254.59.248, quite different from the IP address it gets from the home network. I entered this number in the relevant area of the java program that I use (SACDExtractGUI.jar). And everything is working beautifully, all by itself. I'm getting a little over 2.1 MB/Sec on the MC files.

I hope to have been some use to you all. Please ask anything you like, although my IT skills are fragmentary at best.

Love to all!!
Bas

Last edited:
Hello Bas,

if directLAN ripping is your thing - check whether your client machine (e.g. laptop) supports the Auto MDI-X feature on the LAN port.
This way you can also take a normal LAN cable and hook it up to the blu-ray player (works nicely with a Raspberry Pi for instance).

Take care

Is it at all possible to RIP.....SACD's, DVD-A and Blu Rays from a Sony UBP X800M2? If not without buying another Blu Ray player is there a system/program I can hook up to my computer that will do it? Thanks

Since I would prefer a standalone SACD-ripping system without impacting on the computer network in my home/office, I just went ahead and tried to connect my Windows-10 Dell laptop directly to my Sony BDP-S4100 player. I used a twisted LAN cable. Please don't ask me about the connections. Every hardware store sells these in the cable section. Just look for the word TWIST on the packaging.
Did you mean "cross" or "crossover" cable, not "twist" ?

Is it at all possible to RIP.....SACD's, DVD-A and Blu Rays from a Sony UBP X800M2? If not without buying another Blu Ray player is there a system/program I can hook up to my computer that will do it? Thanks
I just feel by purchasing a used BDP-S4100 or S5100 for maybe $50-75 and just use that as a dedicated SACD ripper, has been well worth it for me. Heck that's only the price of 1 to 3 good SACDs (well maybe 4-5 DVs) but still 🤷‍♂️

Back