Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The word "sleeve" is missing from the description, it is a mini-LP sleeve.
The only thing 7" about it is the sleeve, the disc itself is of course the standard size of any CD/SACD/DVD optical media. I say "of course" because how the hell would anyone play a 7" disc without some new kind of optical disc spinning hardware? We all know that doesn't exist.

Here's an issue I'm having with certain titles like the new Japan 7" Santana (also with Japan 7" Bitches Brew); upon ripping I checked the dsf files and notice on the first song only (Waiting), that there is a very short pop coming mainly from the silent center channel. If you have your system turned up with loud volume it can be potent. I'm using a Sony 5100 and SACDExtractGUI with settings at either Padding-less DSF or turned off. Not sure if I'm getting it on an ISO rip yet or not. But I may try and ISO+DSF next and see what happens. I've only noticed it so far on these Japan 7" SACDs.

You may not even notice it as you can see from the screen shots in Audacity below. The first one is regular view, and the second one is with many levels zoomed in.
I could just convert to flac and take it out in Audacity but I'd prefer to keep the dsf resolution if I can. I don't believe I have any DAWs that handle dsf files.
If someone else could check their files and see if that also happens to theirs I'd appreciate it?

View attachment 56825

View attachment 56826
I would like to get back to my original concerns on this issue, for another bump! Has anyone also ripped these "Sony Japanese Hybrid SACD edition in 7" sized packaging" titles to dsf, and if they also see the same center channel problem?

Here's an issue I'm having with certain titles like the new Japan 7" Santana (also with Japan 7" Bitches Brew); upon ripping I checked the dsf files and notice on the first song only (Waiting), that there is a very short pop coming mainly from the silent center channel. If you have your system turned up with loud volume it can be potent. I'm using a Sony 5100 and SACDExtractGUI with settings at either Padding-less DSF or turned off. Not sure if I'm getting it on an ISO rip yet or not. But I may try and ISO+DSF next and see what happens. I've only noticed it so far on these Japan 7" SACDs.

You may not even notice it as you can see from the screen shots in Audacity below. The first one is regular view, and the second one is with many levels zoomed in.
I could just convert to flac and take it out in Audacity but I'd prefer to keep the dsf resolution if I can. I don't believe I have any DAWs that handle dsf files.
If someone else could check their files and see if that also happens to theirs I'd appreciate it?

View attachment 56825

View attachment 56826
Same here. I have a Sony BDP 5100 and I see exactly the same waveform with that pop at the very beginning of "Waiting". That's the only track I've checked so far.
I ripped the ISO file first, and then extracted the DSD files.

Same here. I have a Sony BDP 5100 and I see exactly the same waveform with that pop at the very beginning of "Waiting". That's the only track I've checked so far.
I ripped the ISO file first, and then extracted the DSD files.
Thank you for confirming, another one that should be checked, if folks have it, is the 7" Miles Davis - Live Evil (I got the same thing there also on both discs, first track only.)

Thank you for confirming, another one that should be checked, if folks have it, is the 7" Miles Davis - Live Evil (I got the same thing there also on both discs, first track only.)
I also have the same BDP you used to rip this SACD. It's better to wait for confirmation from someone with a different player...

I've listened to the SACD from my BD Player. I cannot hear the pop at the beginning of Waiting, even when the volume is loud. I'm undecided whether this is only ripping/converting issue or an actual problem with the centre channel in the file. Let's wait for others to confirm this.

I've listened to the SACD from my BD Player. I cannot hear the pop at the beginning of Waiting, even when the volume is loud. I'm undecided whether this is only ripping/converting issue or an actual problem with the centre channel in the file. Let's wait for others to confirm this.
Have you tried playing back the ripped file? Is the pop audible then?

Have you tried playing back the ripped file? Is the pop audible then?
I haven't yet... Will do! When I saw Pupster's post, I immediately checked my rip and fixed the centre channel (I remixed it with a totally silent channel) :) . Pupster said it was audible, but I haven't checked myself. Though, it's quite visible in the waveform...

EDIT: the pop peaks at 0dB. It should be audible from the rip.

Last edited:
So from the list of Sony Blu Ray players that can rip this way, which one(s) really seem to top the list of affordable and easy to get? Also, I cannot remember if I've asked this before, but is there a method of doing this if I own Mac?

So from the list of Sony Blu Ray players that can rip this way, which one(s) really seem to top the list of affordable and easy to get? Also, I cannot remember if I've asked this before, but is there a method of doing this if I own Mac?
There always seems to be plenty of S5100's on ebay for $25-50 with remote. I got one about 2 years ago and it has performed flawlesslly with the software. I highly recommend it.

I have been using the Sony S5100 with a Mac for some time now. You have to download the Sonore version for Mac.

I am a Mac user and have both the S5100 and S7200. I have the S5100 stored as a back up unit but use AND prefer the 7200. It's a more substantial build with a metal housing (the 5100 is plastic) and the 7200's "AutoScript" method (steps) of ripping is simpler and quicker. They are available on eBay but usually cost a bit more. I can give you my step by step notes (cheat sheet) if helpful.

I picked up a two examples of the BDP BX 59 on fleeb when I got interested in this process. They work fine. They were what looked good (very non specific looked good) to me when I was shopping. I mildly wanted to get two identical units. They were very reasonable.

I am a Mac user and have both the S5100 and S7200. I have the S5100 stored as a back up unit but use AND prefer the 7200. It's a more substantial build with a metal housing (the 5100 is plastic) and the 7200's "AutoScript" method (steps) of ripping is simpler and quicker. They are available on eBay but usually cost a bit more. I can give you my step by step notes (cheat sheet) if helpful.
Sure, would love a (Cheat Sheet) -for the AutoRip method with a USB flash drive, you verified it works?

What in your opinion is a good deal on a 7200? Yeah ,my S5100 is plastic/light as a feather gear!

It is possible to have one ripping to a computer (S5100) and at the same time another one (S7200) with AutoRip USB would be a time saver. I still have many discs to rip.

Back