Quantcast

Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

SACD_ripper

The word "sleeve" is missing from the description, it is a mini-LP sleeve.
The only thing 7" about it is the sleeve, the disc itself is of course the standard size of any CD/SACD/DVD optical media. I say "of course" because how the hell would anyone play a 7" disc without some new kind of optical disc spinning hardware? We all know that doesn't exist.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Here's an issue I'm having with certain titles like the new Japan 7" Santana (also with Japan 7" Bitches Brew); upon ripping I checked the dsf files and notice on the first song only (Waiting), that there is a very short pop coming mainly from the silent center channel. If you have your system turned up with loud volume it can be potent. I'm using a Sony 5100 and SACDExtractGUI with settings at either Padding-less DSF or turned off. Not sure if I'm getting it on an ISO rip yet or not. But I may try and ISO+DSF next and see what happens. I've only noticed it so far on these Japan 7" SACDs.

You may not even notice it as you can see from the screen shots in Audacity below. The first one is regular view, and the second one is with many levels zoomed in.
I could just convert to flac and take it out in Audacity but I'd prefer to keep the dsf resolution if I can. I don't believe I have any DAWs that handle dsf files.
If someone else could check their files and see if that also happens to theirs I'd appreciate it?

View attachment 56825

View attachment 56826
I would like to get back to my original concerns on this issue, for another bump! Has anyone also ripped these "Sony Japanese Hybrid SACD edition in 7" sized packaging" titles to dsf, and if they also see the same center channel problem?

albertop

QQ Supporter
Here's an issue I'm having with certain titles like the new Japan 7" Santana (also with Japan 7" Bitches Brew); upon ripping I checked the dsf files and notice on the first song only (Waiting), that there is a very short pop coming mainly from the silent center channel. If you have your system turned up with loud volume it can be potent. I'm using a Sony 5100 and SACDExtractGUI with settings at either Padding-less DSF or turned off. Not sure if I'm getting it on an ISO rip yet or not. But I may try and ISO+DSF next and see what happens. I've only noticed it so far on these Japan 7" SACDs.

You may not even notice it as you can see from the screen shots in Audacity below. The first one is regular view, and the second one is with many levels zoomed in.
I could just convert to flac and take it out in Audacity but I'd prefer to keep the dsf resolution if I can. I don't believe I have any DAWs that handle dsf files.
If someone else could check their files and see if that also happens to theirs I'd appreciate it?

View attachment 56825

View attachment 56826
Same here. I have a Sony BDP 5100 and I see exactly the same waveform with that pop at the very beginning of "Waiting". That's the only track I've checked so far.
I ripped the ISO file first, and then extracted the DSD files.

J. PUPSTER

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
Same here. I have a Sony BDP 5100 and I see exactly the same waveform with that pop at the very beginning of "Waiting". That's the only track I've checked so far.
I ripped the ISO file first, and then extracted the DSD files.
Thank you for confirming, another one that should be checked, if folks have it, is the 7" Miles Davis - Live Evil (I got the same thing there also on both discs, first track only.)

albertop

QQ Supporter
Thank you for confirming, another one that should be checked, if folks have it, is the 7" Miles Davis - Live Evil (I got the same thing there also on both discs, first track only.)
I also have the same BDP you used to rip this SACD. It's better to wait for confirmation from someone with a different player...

albertop

QQ Supporter
I've listened to the SACD from my BD Player. I cannot hear the pop at the beginning of Waiting, even when the volume is loud. I'm undecided whether this is only ripping/converting issue or an actual problem with the centre channel in the file. Let's wait for others to confirm this.

JediJoker

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I've listened to the SACD from my BD Player. I cannot hear the pop at the beginning of Waiting, even when the volume is loud. I'm undecided whether this is only ripping/converting issue or an actual problem with the centre channel in the file. Let's wait for others to confirm this.
Have you tried playing back the ripped file? Is the pop audible then?

albertop

QQ Supporter
Have you tried playing back the ripped file? Is the pop audible then?
I haven't yet... Will do! When I saw Pupster's post, I immediately checked my rip and fixed the centre channel (I remixed it with a totally silent channel) :) . Pupster said it was audible, but I haven't checked myself. Though, it's quite visible in the waveform...

EDIT: the pop peaks at 0dB. It should be audible from the rip.

Last edited: