Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I saw it said here that the 7200 needs a different set of files for the USB drive. Does anyone have a link to those files?

Sony BDP-S590 is declared to read SACD-R discs. But only up to firmware version M12.R.0430, according to the list on link.

I was offered here in Brazil an used S590 for just US$ 25. My current "SACD" player is the Sony BDP-S380, which supports SACD-R in any firmware version, but it has no DLNA, which S590 has.

I don't want to search for an old firmware version to downgrade this S590 and keep alert to never upgrade it online, although. I don't the current version of this one and the seller is very newbie and can't inform this.

Is this information absolutely right? The latest firmware version on my country seems to be M12.R.0510. Is absolutely right that a S590 with M12.R.0510 firmware can't read SACD-R discs?

https://github.com/sacd-ripper/sacd-ripper/wiki/A-list-of-SACD-R-compatible-players.

One of my backup players is a Sony BDP-BX59, which is essentially the same machine as the S590. Mine currently has firmware M12.R.0510, and it definitely will not recognize SACD-R. (I'd like to know how to "downgrade" the firmware to version 0430, though!)

I'd like to give a huge thank you to @beerking and everyone else who helped on this thread. I just picked up a used BDP-S390 for less than $30 and was able to rip my Pictures at an Exhibition SACD to ISO and DSF (stereo and multi)....worked on the first try, too!
Hi, very pleased this thread is still working for folk.
Happy SACD ripping!!
Cheers
Mike

One of my backup players is a Sony BDP-BX59, which is essentially the same machine as the S590. Mine currently has firmware M12.R.0510, and it definitely will not recognize SACD-R. (I'd like to know how to "downgrade" the firmware to version 0430, though!)

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience. I will pass this S590, and look for an used S580 instead.

This guy has detailed instructions about downgrade firmware downgrade. Both with a hard and meticulous manual work and with a Windows program designed for this.

http://www.malcolmstagg.com/bdp-s390-downgrade.html#

I haven't tried yet, as I am not sure it's going to go well and I don't want to get all pissed off and frustrated during the work week.

I haven't tried yet, as I am not sure it's going to go well and I don't want to get all pissed off and frustrated during the work week.
It's hard to imagine a more pessimistic and presumptively negative response. The power of positive thinking goes a very long way.
I'd hope you might have taken about 5-10 minutes each night this week to do the following:

1. Download and install the Java Runtime Environment (64-bit)
2. Download and install SACDExtractGUI and sacd_extract 0.3.9.3.88
3. Specify the path to sacd_extract in the Program field using the Browse button (overwrite that field)
4. Write the AutoScript folder to a USB flash drive
5. Enable the Quick Start mode in the S7200 player's Settings

Each of the above is a quick 5-10 minutes or so, and would help ensure a fast and painless transition to ripping with the least amount of prerequisite work. If the above were already completed, ripping with an S7200 consists of the following steps (as described on HFH):

1. With the S6200/7200 in a sleeping/OFF state, insert the USB flash drive.
2. Player awakens, disc tray auto-opens, place a disc in the tray but don't close it.
3. Disc tray auto-closes, player auto-enters sleep mode once the LED display goes dark.
4. Run the rip from the GUI.

I've done a few of those steps already. Questions so far:
  • I have version 0.3.9@setmind-13-g58db5f16fcf410ae4d6aeca226a067b37ade136a. Is that new enough or should I get 0.3.9.3.8?
    • If so, where do I get that specific file?
  • Also, I cannot remember where I get the AutoScript folder. Where do I get that for the 7200?

I have version 0.3.9@setmind-13-g58db5f16fcf410ae4d6aeca226a067b37ade136a. Is that new enough or should I get 0.3.9.3.8?
Setmind's version works just fine with the exception of any discs that were authored with too long a meta data string (more than 260 characters in any given field), and the Windows OS (only).
Again, thats a Windows only problem, no issue at all when using Mac, or Linux. If you are using Windows and have a bunch of Classical music SACDs, you might run into that issue, which is solved only by EuFlo's enhanced sacd_extract 0.3.9.3-88 (actually now -89 for Windows only).
You can find EuFlo's enhanced sacd_extract here. I see no reason why you would not want to use the latest version of sacd_extract, there are other improvements too, but certainly Setmind's version works well excepting on Windows with those classical discs that have stupid ridiculous meta data strings.
Also, I cannot remember where I get the AutoScript folder. Where do I get that for the 7200?
Did you ignore Post #623?

OK, complete noob to SACD ripping here and thanks all for the info provided. I havent managed to get the network part working but Autorip to the flash drive works great. Only niggle with that method seems to be lack of metadata though probably my bad as only took delivery of a Sony S4100 yesterday. Did read through the thread and tried everything I read but that port 2002 just not playing ball lol.

Anyway. Upshot is the only SACD I own is now on my NAS in glorious Flac 96/24 along with all my DVD-A & Bluray-A rips in Flac. I have my eye on a number of reasonably priced SACDs on Fleabay so anticipate the collection growing fairly rapidly

I've done a few of those steps already. Questions so far:
  • I have version 0.3.9@setmind-13-g58db5f16fcf410ae4d6aeca226a067b37ade136a. Is that new enough or should I get 0.3.9.3.8?
    • If so, where do I get that specific file?
  • Also, I cannot remember where I get the AutoScript folder. Where do I get that for the 7200?
And... 2 weeks later, were you able to rip any SACDs using the S7200?

Last edited:
A question that I cannot find an answer for:

I'm trying to rip an SACD using sacd_extract but it's not working (I think) because an artist whose name is in the title has a diacritical mark (also called an accent or unusual character) in his name and Windows 10 cannot handle the special character as part of a file name. So the ripping process just stops dead cold and says "Done" before it even starts once it sees that odd character.

I see no solution to this problem online - there's no way to change the name of the file being saved by sacd_extract and no way I see to enable Windows to accept the unusual character.

I've been able to rip all my other SACD's but not this one - of course it's my favorite: Getz/Gilberto bossa nova from the early 60's (and a great recording, too).

Anybody know if it 's possible to accomplish this? Thanks much.

I'm trying to rip an SACD using sacd_extract but it's not working (I think) because an artist whose name is in the title has a diacritical mark (also called an accent or unusual character) in his name and Windows 10 cannot handle the special character as part of a file name. So the ripping process just stops dead cold and says "Done" before it even starts once it sees that odd character.

I see no solution to this problem online - there's no way to change the name of the file being saved by sacd_extract and no way I see to enable Windows to accept the unusual character.

I've been able to rip all my other SACD's but not this one - of course it's my favorite: Getz/Gilberto bossa nova from the early 60's (and a great recording, too).

You must be using an old version of sacd_extract, or AutoRip, is that correct?

Welcome to the QQ Les_H, not sure about a solution for this as of yet, but we'll contemplate and hopefully come up with something!

Back