Quantcast

Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Infomas

Well, now I am able to rip my sacd collection with my SONY S-790.

I am using SACDExtractGUI to get the .dsf files and then I convert these to flac files using DSD2FLAC.

I use a OPPO UDP-203 to play flac files from external usb hard drive. I think I understand that the oppo´s dac does not support sample rates higher than 192 kHz. Then I think that 24 bit/176400 Hz is the best choose? Or there is not audible differences between 176400 Hz and 88200 Hz for a SACD rip?
I rip 'em at 88.2. They sound great to me.

himey

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
What device are you using to stream your Plex music? I've been waiting for over a year and a half for them to fix the Apple TV version. I've had to use VLC or jRiver to hear music on my Home Theater system.
I was using a firestick 4k up until a few weeks ago before they updated the firmware and broke Kodi audio pass through.

Now I use a mini PC with Windows 10. Kodi v19 Matrix beta 2 with the updated PlexKodiConnect add-on. I have a Harmony hub remote that runs Kodi perfectly. I have no issues at this point. It was nice to use a $25 device for a couple years but this new setup, although more expensive, is better, especially with the new Kodi version. 4K movie rips with HDR works perfect without any modifications. 4K video just looks smoother. Also, for audio, I don't have to change any settings to switch between stereo and multichannel which was a bit cumbersome on the firestick. The only thing I use the firestick for now is ChannelsDVR, which works well, but is far from state of the art video or audio but it offers the ability to watch TV without commercials which is a must, and is inexpensive, unlike cable tv.

Infomas

I was using a firestick 4k up until a few weeks ago before they updated the firmware and broke Kodi audio pass through.

Now I use a mini PC with Windows 10. Kodi v19 Matrix beta 2 with the updated PlexKodiConnect add-on. I have a Harmony hub remote that runs Kodi perfectly. I have no issues at this point. It was nice to use a $25 device for a couple years but this new setup, although more expensive, is better, especially with the new Kodi version. 4K movie rips with HDR works perfect without any modifications. 4K video just looks smoother. Also, for audio, I don't have to change any settings to switch between stereo and multichannel which was a bit cumbersome on the firestick. The only thing I use the firestick for now is ChannelsDVR, which works well, but is far from state of the art video or audio but it offers the ability to watch TV without commercials which is a must, and is inexpensive, unlike cable tv.
Thanks for getting back to me. I really wanted it all under 1 roof, making it easier for both of us. If there was a streaming device that worked, and supported a few other things I require, I'd consider moving off ATV. JRiver is really good though. It sits on a Win 10 machine in my office (the same machine that is hosting plex) with excellent results. I too use a Harmony Hub and it switches between the two fine. But, I don't want to use my phone as a remote. Oh well.

himey

Thanks for getting back to me. I really wanted it all under 1 roof, making it easier for both of us. If there was a streaming device that worked, and supported a few other things I require, I'd consider moving off ATV. JRiver is really good though. It sits on a Win 10 machine in my office (the same machine that is hosting plex) with excellent results. I too use a Harmony Hub and it switches between the two fine. But, I don't want to use my phone as a remote. Oh well.
I use both hub add-on remotes, Companion Remote and Ultimate Remote. The ONLY reason I got the Ultimate, was because it adds 7 additional devices to the hub setup. The Ultimate Remote is not a good remote. The button layout is terrible. However, the Companion Remote is great in every way! Once you master Activities, understand long presses, and use the number keypad to your advantage, it is nearly perfect. There is no direct device usage like you have with the phone app and the Ultimate, so understanding and implementing Activities is the key.

Infomas

I use both hub add-on remotes, Companion Remote and Ultimate Remote. The ONLY reason I got the Ultimate, was because it adds 7 additional devices to the hub setup. The Ultimate Remote is not a good remote. The button layout is terrible. However, the Companion Remote is great in every way! Once you master Activities, understand long presses, and use the number keypad to your advantage, it is nearly perfect. There is no direct device usage like you have with the phone app and the Ultimate, so understanding and implementing Activities is the key.
I have a older Harmony remote from several years ago. I haven't used it since we dumped cable, I added the hub and went exclusively with the Apple TV. So, activities isn't a big deal for me. On the other hand, anything that isn't obvious will be a problem for my wife. If nothing else, I should look into replacing the Apple remote for the ATV. That is a pain in the butt. Have you used the Companion for any Apple products? Maybe that would be a good move for me.

himey

I have a older Harmony remote from several years ago. I haven't used it since we dumped cable, I added the hub and went exclusively with the Apple TV. So, activities isn't a big deal for me. On the other hand, anything that isn't obvious will be a problem for my wife. If nothing else, I should look into replacing the Apple remote for the ATV. That is a pain in the butt. Have you used the Companion for any Apple products? Maybe that would be a good move for me.
It works seamlessly with a Firestick 4K. That uses a bluetooth remote connection. If the Apple TV works with your app on the hub, it will work with the Companion remote.

Infomas

It works seamlessly with a Firestick 4K. That uses a bluetooth remote connection. If the Apple TV works with your app on the hub, it will work with the Companion remote.
Good to know. Thanks. I've also got my old remote. Maybe I'll dig it out and see if it can do anything. I appreciate you're getting back to me. Thanks.

dschamis

OK - I tried to put together a short how-to guide for the Sony S5100 and S390 (the two I have).

Please add or comment to this doc as you guys see fit.