Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all, just wanna said I managed ripped my sacd collection yesterday. I learned how to rip from this post here. Great info!
My bdp is Sony bdp S790, bought 2 months ago from Singapore (200 miles) away. I not that lucky can get in usd10 like some of you, but paid for usd60, have remote control.
The whole process took me around 2 hours to start the first ripped. More important I finally can enjoy back the sacd sound which I lost it since 10 yrs back after my Sony player fail to read sacd layer.
Well sound a lot better than cd format ... I only has 20 copies, most are Chinese from hk taiwan album. After ripped, most albums I need manually key in the track name.

Hi all, just wanna said I managed ripped my sacd collection yesterday. I learned how to rip from this post here. Great info!
My bdp is Sony bdp S790, bought 2 months ago from Singapore (200 miles) away. I not that lucky can get in usd10 like some of you, but paid for usd60, have remote control.
The whole process took me around 2 hours to start the first ripped. More important I finally can enjoy back the sacd sound which I lost it since 10 yrs back after my Sony player fail to read sacd layer.
Well sound a lot better than cd format ... I only has 20 copies, most are Chinese from hk taiwan album. After ripped, most albums I need manually key in the track name.
Welcome to the forum and the SACD ripping club. You will enjoy what you find on this site.

Hi guys, just to give another update from last successful ripped. Last night out of sudden, my Sony S790 built in wifi adapter not able to detect, not found, mean no more function. My desktop area no LAN. Was thinking dame, I then go online order a Sony compatible dongle (usd 6 bucks) but need few weeks delivery from China.

This morning, I figured out I can actually move my wifi Deco unit (has LAN port) to my desktop area. My desktop has no LAN port, Sony S790 has LAN.

In short, I connect Deco LAN to Sony player, and pc remain wireless wifi.

Guess what, it can start rip sacd again. I did reformat the flash drive reinstall the script whenever I found the ripping process cant start.

I tried one cheap tplink 2.4g wifi adapter. The Sony bdp said unknown usb device. I google, it said require sony driver wifi dongle.
Thats not exactly right, it requires a WiFi dongle whose chipset is compatible with the drivers present in Linux kernel version 2.6.35, these days harder to find, but not at all impossible.
Probably easier to use a WiFi access point, variously also referred to as a media bridge, or WiFi extender, which connects to your network via WiFi but offers Ethernet output.

I was attempting to rip the new DV Kris Kristofferson SACDs today (first disc); and I got the 'Print disc summary' again running through the tracks but saying it was done without actually ripping.

I had a hunch that seemed to work out. I had named the folder to rip to: 'The Silver Tongued Devil and I - Kris Kristofferson - DV SACD QUAD'

Well that's a very long title, and combined with what the disc title throws on top of it as it rips, of- Border Lord, his name again and the song title; I guess it's just too long. So I was going to split up the albums into their own folders anyway, so I just switched the output directory to a shorter 'Border Lord' name and then it ripped fine.

I was attempting to rip the new DV Kris Kristofferson SACDs today (first disc); and I got the 'Print disc summary' again running through the tracks but saying it was done without actually ripping.

I had a hunch that seemed to work out. I had named the folder to rip to: 'The Silver Tongued Devil and I - Kris Kristofferson - DV SACD QUAD'

Well that's a very long title, and combined with what the disc title throws on top of it as it rips, of- Border Lord, his name again and the song title; I guess it's just too long. So I was going to split up the albums into their own folders anyway, so I just switched the output directory to a shorter 'Border Lord' name and then it ripped fine.
I’ve gotten error messages, but not yet with SACD ripping, which said that the entire path cannot be over 256 characters. That seems long, but you‘ve noted how much information is already tagged in the name of the base DV file; and then there is the file path on top of all of that.

I’ve gotten error messages, but not yet with SACD ripping, which said that the entire path cannot be over 256 characters. That seems long, but you‘ve noted how much information is already tagged in the name of the base DV file; and then there is the file path on top of all of that.
Are you guys using EuFlo's enhanced sacd_extract version 0.3.9.3-107 yet?

Is it faster?
Depends on what version you are comparing it to, but speed is not the benefit, it's the fixing of the character limits in the file path and also the checks for disc integrity and proper read of all sectors, putting to rest the paranoia of "how do I know these are bit perfect?" as if anyone ever knew that with the PS3 method or otherwise.

Can it convert to flac as it extracts dsd?
No

Am I being a pain in the butt?
No but like many others, you are overthinking it if you think this is a difficult decision to make, it's not, and it's a very fast easy upgrade. Read the release notes at EuFlo' s GitHub.

I should have been specific about the speed question: Is the EuFlo program significantly faster than Sonore’s?
This is where lots of confusion reigns. The Sonore program is just a Java-based front end tool known as a GUI (graphical user interface). It allows you to point and click, instead of issuing text based commands on a CLI (command line interface).
You do not need to change Sonore ISO2DSD as the front end GUI tool, but you can if you want to and there is an upgrade available there too, called SACDExtractGUI, which is also a Java-based point and click GUI.
Both ISO2DSD and SACDExtractGUI are known as Java applets, but they are not the actual ripping engine, they merely instruct the ripping engine via point and click.

The actual ripping engine or application that performs the rips is called sacd_extract (Mac and Linux), or sacd_extract.exe (Windows).
All you need to do, as mentioned several pages back to @J. PUPSTER , is swap out the version of the sacd_extract file you currently have for the updated version. In fact, you can even keep the one you have, you don't need to discard it if that bothers you, just stick it in a temporary folder and place the new version in the ISO2DSD folder.
ISO2DSD requires that sacd_extract file to reside in its folder, you can't place it elsewhere, so you do need to move the old version out in order to place the new one in because they have the same file name, and you can't change it or it won't work.

Alternatively, just leave everything you currently have exactly as is, there is no requirement that anything be deleted, you can keep the Sonore program and the old executable for posterity.
Instead just download and install both the newer SACDExtractGUI and then EuFlo's enhanced sacd_extract executable. Hint: scroll to the bottom of EuFlo's repository to reveal the Assets.
Stick the sacd_extract.exe file in the SACDExtractGUI folder, then launch it by clicking the .jar file (with Windows you might have to right-click the .jar and choose Run or Open with Java or some such Windows-only madness).
The last step is to setup SACDExtractGUI's settings, first and foremost you must set the correct path to the sacd_extract.exe file in the Program field.
Now you have not one but two functioning SACD ripping tools, though you will find that the SACDExtractGUI is superior from a functionality perspective, and the new executable won't have any special characters or file path character length errors, plus it checks the disc integrity and ripped tracks for accuracy, and it's a touch faster.

This is new to me and very interesting. I would love to take an SACD and rip it to 4 channel quad for my quad system. This foobar can do this it seems. My questions would be when you rip it on the computer, can the disc player read the SACD layer and does it rip it into 4 channels? If so, how can I get those 4 channels into my quad system yo put them on tape? I apologize, I am a complete noob here on this.

This is new to me and very interesting. I would love to take an SACD and rip it to 4 channel quad for my quad system. This foobar can do this it seems. My questions would be when you rip it on the computer, can the disc player read the SACD layer and does it rip it into 4 channels? If so, how can I get those 4 channels into my quad system yo put them on tape? I apologize, I am a complete noob here on this.

I'm pretty sure you can only rip SACDs on a compatible blu-ray player (or early firmware, 1st gen PS3), listed on this thread (of the original thread on hifi haven, I think). Once you rip it using whichever software/method you prefer (I use Autorip for convenience, but it hasn't worked with a couple SACDs) you can extract the multichannel audio (DSD/DSF) using one of a couple options, which you can then stream if your system can decode DSD/DSF (if you have a Mac, I've found Sonore's freeware, DSD2FLAC, to be the easiest way) or you can convert to a different format like FLAC. I'm a noob too so I'm sure someone will correct anything I wrote that is inaccurate/wrong.

The disc has to be multichannel. I figure it couldn't hurt to state the obvious, it might not be so obvious to some. Four channels on the recording, four on the files. Two on the disc, two in the files.
5.1 discs give six channels. And some (most?) quad recordings on SACD might have six, with center and sub empty.
But yeah, foobar doesn't rip in this case, it is file conversion. The compatible player with proper tools does the rip. Need to start earlier in the process looking at the list of compatible players and methods. The method doesn't use the CD layer for anything.

Here's an odd issue on which I would appreciate some suggestions or clarifications. I've used this program successfully in the past and as recently as yesterday, but for some reason today I am unable to connect using 192.168.1.100.2002, which has worked for me in the past. I don't get any response by pinging the address. Has anybody else had this issue? Thanks.

Back