Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread!. I have been using a S590 for a while and it works great. I am happy to help with any issues as well, though it appears most of it has been covered. I have the player connected to a network switch via ethernet. This switch is then connected to my router viat ethernet. Though the S590 can connect via Wifi, I would strongly recommend against it. It is ok for the receiving PC/laptop to be connected wirelessly to the router however, just not the player.

Is it loss of connectivity? I've had minimal problems going over WiFi.

Here are a few observations I have made after one day at it. My cable providers modem changed the IP address for the S5100 twice since I first set it up. Once I forgot to remove the USB jump drive after the SACD loaded and the S5100 added the BUDA folder to the drive rendering it not working until I deleted the BUDA folder. The jump drive I used was an just old one that I emptied before adding the Autoscript folders. The front USB works the same as the rear for the USB jump drive. This morning I used a wired connection to the laptop from the router and found the transfer speed increase from 2.1MB/sec for WiFi to around 3.0MB/sec.

Last edited:
Here are a few observations I have made after one day at it. My cable providers modem changed the IP address for the S5100 twice since I first set it up. Once I forgot to remove the USB jump drive after the SACD loaded and the S5100 added the BUDA folder to the drive rendering it not working until I deleted the BUDA folder. The jump drive I used was an just old one that I emptied before adding the Autoscript folders. The front USB works the same as the rear for the USB jump drive. This morning I used a wired connection to the laptop from the router and found the transfer speed increase from 2.1MB/sec for WiFi to around 3.0MB/sec.

Interesting point regarding the speed increase using the wired connection. I'm using sacd_extract v3.9 which is faster than the version supplied with the basic download of ISO2DSD (at least that's what the situtation was when I first installed it last November.); so I can get transfer speeds over WiFi that are closer to the limits of the disc drives according to HiFiHaven's Mikey Fresh. Also, SACDs rip at different speeds...for example a recall a number of DV multichannel discs ripping at slower speeds than those from other companies...might have something to do with the DV two-fers. But from your experience, it seems that one can get the higher transfer speeds using the wired connection rather than enduring the drama of compiling sacd_extract v3.9.

Interesting point regarding the speed increase using the wired connection. I'm using sacd_extract v3.9 which is faster than the version supplied with the basic download of ISO2DSD (at least that's what the situtation was when I first installed it last November.); so I can get transfer speeds over WiFi that are closer to the limits of the disc drives according to HiFiHaven's Mikey Fresh. Also, SACDs rip at different speeds...for example a recall a number of DV multichannel discs ripping at slower speeds than those from other companies...might have something to do with the DV two-fers. But from your experience, it seems that one can get the higher transfer speeds using the wired connection rather than enduring the drama of compiling sacd_extract v3.9.

Mine are ripping at an average speed of 3.35MB/sec using a wired connection. They are taking between 8 and 10mins to rip, per disc. Funny that I still keep my fingers crossed after every rip...must learn to relax more around these new gizmo's!! (y)

Mine are ripping at an average speed of 3.35MB/sec using a wired connection. They are taking between 8 and 10mins to rip, per disc. Funny that I still keep my fingers crossed after every rip...must learn to relax more around these new gizmo's!! (y)

At least for my Oppo, the only time out of hundreds that it failed me was when the IP for my Oppo had changed and I needed to edit that number in the application.

Is it loss of connectivity? I've had minimal problems going over WiFi.
In my case, I didn't think it was a loss of connectivity, but more likely buffering issues due to a poor wifi connection give the placement of the player, although other equipment in the same vicinity don't seem to have speed issues. I noticed a lot of stuttering in the ripping process where it would read data and pause.

Last edited:
Hi, let us know how the direct connection works. I'm okay with the router way, but would like to simplify, in terms of amount of gear to do the backups. Also, if it does work with direct connection, perhaps a link to which cable to use between PC and player would be great. Thanks.

It might be up to a week until the cable I ordered arrives from Amazon. It is under $10. It is an RJ45 crossover ethernet cable. Those cables seem to have disappeared from the big box stores.

Here are few other observations/differences in the process I follow for the S590:
1) After inserting an SACD, I have to go into the menu and toggle the output from multichannel to stereo or vice versa. I dont notice this mentioned above, perhaps something else in the setup obviates this ?
2) Once the player has started up with the USB, I leave it in there. I don't have to restart the player between SACD rips. I simply insert another SACD and go to the menu and toggle the Stereo/MCH settings.
Sure would be nice if I didn't have to do this.

Anyway these are my 2 cents.

Here are few other observations/differences in the process I follow for the S590:
1) After inserting an SACD, I have to go into the menu and toggle the output from multichannel to stereo or vice versa. I dont notice this mentioned above, perhaps something else in the setup obviates this ?
2) Once the player has started up with the USB, I leave it in there. I don't have to restart the player between SACD rips. I simply insert another SACD and go to the menu and toggle the Stereo/MCH settings.
Sure would be nice if I didn't have to do this.

Anyway these are my 2 cents.
You are correct on both counts.

This is karma in action: Sony's own inexpensive hardware can be used to read the bytes off their own ridiculous proprietary storage medium :)
Love It!! Smiling away! Now that is just one of the better odes of karma in a while. FU Sony. These bastards were just obnoxious at the CES shows when they were releasing SACD. They knew they were gonna mess things up. DVD-audio was making waves and all us old farts who were pushing it and multichannel could see the replication of the quad era exploding before our eyes. We all knew that another competitor format was gonna screw up multichannel. The public was not interested in figuring it out, they were just getting used to dvd's. We were just learning about dvd-audio. Public had no idea. May not have been the total failure of the multichannel resurgence, but a big part of it. MP3 helped also. Now post those conversions somewhere and keep the prices in reason for out of print discs.

This is my question as well. Why can't we go Blu-ray player to Windows PC?
I have all I need to start, but just how safe is this software to go over a router?
So far, sort of a deal breaker going over the router. But might try it. The Sony has WiFi.

I had success with a crossover RJ45 cable directly from my laptop to the BDP-S5100. This one https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cat6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B009GUMD3C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550666469&sr=8-4&keywords=crossover+cable+3'

Enable File Sharing. Go to Network in File Explorer and click on Bluray Player (or whatever your PC calls it). Click on Properties and copy down the IP address your PC has assigned to it. Enter that number into the SACD Extract interface and you should be good to go. I disabled WiFi (Airplane Mode) I don't know if that makes a difference. Rip speed is not increased.

I left the jump drive in at all times (except when I shut the player down at night) and just pushed the Power On button to change to the next disc when the tray ejected. I did not have a display attached to the S5100.

I had success with a crossover RJ45 cable directly from my laptop to the BDP-S5100. This one https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Cat6-Ethernet-Patch-Cable/dp/B009GUMD3C/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1550666469&sr=8-4&keywords=crossover+cable+3'

Enable File Sharing. Go to Network in File Explorer and click on Bluray Player (or whatever your PC calls it). Click on Properties and copy down the IP address your PC has assigned to it. Enter that number into the SACD Extract interface and you should be good to go. I disabled WiFi (Airplane Mode) I don't know if that makes a difference. Rip speed is not increased.

I left the jump drive in at all times (except when I shut the player down at night) and just pushed the Power On button to change to the next disc when the tray ejected. I did not have a display attached to the S5100.
That's great filper, I'm all for anything that makes the process easier. Thanks for the detailed how/what to do as well👍

Rip speed is not increased.

Interesting that rip speed didn't increase with the crossover cable. IIRC MickeyFresh said something about the limitation being the speed of the disc drives. I know that rip speed (over WiFi) increased for me when I upgraded to sacd_extract v3.9; but I never tried using a crossover cable.

Thanks! I'll give it a try. I have some rare SACDs that are irreplaceable. I plan to keep my original discs. As a collector, one thing does not replace the other, but it's nice to have a backup. Thanks.

Just to add another success story to your list. I was able to use an old BDP-S390 to perform the server duties, and once I understood the process, everything ran like a charm. The ethernet connection on this unit did not appear to work, so I used the Wi-Fi instead but I did not have any problems doing it this way. I was able to achieve speeds of up to 2.25 MB/sec. I used the 'Super Audio CD Decoder' plug-in for Foobar 2000 to convert the created DSF files directly to FLAC at 88.2/24 resolution - a simple process. To correct and improve some of the tags I ran mp3tag on the FLAC files. Nothing to it!

A few points about the S390:
This is an old machine and if you need to connect using the Wi-Fi it's not quite as easy as newer ones. It doesn't have auto-discovery of available networks, so you need to type in the network ID yourself. This was a little problematic because it won't accept a network ID with a hyphen in the name. All but one of mine do, so I was forced to use that one specific network, which was not my first choice. But it all worked regardless.

I logged in to my router to look for the IP address allocated to the S390 unit. It was there, but showed as 'unknown', which is not very helpful. I verified the IP address by moving temporarily to a location with access to a TV screen.

This unit only has one USB port, which is on the front. I was able to use it without any problems.

Overall, I would recommend using a newer model than the S390, but I'm happy to be able to say that the procedure described in this thread worked without any problems at all. Thanks to everyone involved in putting it together!

Just to add another success story to your list. I was able to use an old BDP-S390 to perform the server duties, and once I understood the process, everything ran like a charm. The ethernet connection on this unit did not appear to work, so I used the Wi-Fi instead but I did not have any problems doing it this way. I was able to achieve speeds of up to 2.25 MB/sec. I used the 'Super Audio CD Decoder' plug-in for Foobar 2000 to convert the created DSF files directly to FLAC at 88.2/24 resolution - a simple process. To correct and improve some of the tags I ran mp3tag on the FLAC files. Nothing to it!

A few points about the S390:
This is an old machine and if you need to connect using the Wi-Fi it's not quite as easy as newer ones. It doesn't have auto-discovery of available networks, so you need to type in the network ID yourself. This was a little problematic because it won't accept a network ID with a hyphen in the name. All but one of mine do, so I was forced to use that one specific network, which was not my first choice. But it all worked regardless.

I logged in to my router to look for the IP address allocated to the S390 unit. It was there, but showed as 'unknown', which is not very helpful. I verified the IP address by moving temporarily to a location with access to a TV screen.

This unit only has one USB port, which is on the front. I was able to use it without any problems.

Overall, I would recommend using a newer model than the S390, but I'm happy to be able to say that the procedure described in this thread worked without any problems at all. Thanks to everyone involved in putting it together!

The model I'm using is the BDP-S5100 and using it with a wired network. This works easier for me than ripping DVD-A or anything else. It gets the Metadata right most of the time. I notice than some discs will transfer much faster than others (not sure why.) I'm also using Mp3tag for clean-up and attaching photos; however my Oppo 205 does not recognize the dsf files when it comes to its database for Genres and Artists etc., only folders and thankfully songs. Overall, very quick and slick!

Back