Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The way I understand it is that the memory addresses are not adequately protected and stuff starts getting corrupted and the software ends up in a blind alley
and doesn't continue the operations. The blu ray players that do this have a particular chipset and use an abbreviated Linux operating system which is not intended nor designed to be doing these things.

This is not a comprehensive explanation. That would have to come from someone else than me.

2 types or memory leak, one like described above where stuff is there but no longer accessible, e.g. corrupt.
The other, and more common, is when an application doesn't release memory properly so continues to request and consume more and more. Think about how chrome or firefox slow down as you open windows and closing them without exiting the app doesn't always help. that is a memory leak.

OK about memory leaks (although this is digressing somewhat). Please note that for the sake of discussion, this is a very simplified explanation, but for the purposes here will probably suffice.

As you know, programs in general use memory to store data and load them in between operations. There are commonly two types of problems that can be insidious and difficult to find:
1) Memory leaks
2) Memory corruptions.

I discuss both here, because they are commonly conflated.

Memory leaks. This is where the program requests a certain amount of memory from the operating system and never gives it back after it's done with it. Potentially, this can continue until the OS runs out of memory that it can provide. You often end up with an "out of memory" problem.

Memory corruption. A program allocates some memory (as requested from the OS and provided by it), and does something with it. Let's say that when it requested it, it used it to represent an orange (that needs say 32 bytes). Then later, it encounters some bug and tries to interpret it as an pineapple (much larger, so 64 bytes). And voila`, the data that it's trying to access as a pineapple doesn't represent a pineapple at all, so it ends up reading past the end of the apple's 32 bytes and it crashes because the rest of them are uninitialized or say points to invalid memory and ends up being in an invalid state. Often in Windows, this is the blue screen of death when the OS is in some invalid state. On a Mac, since it's Unix-based, you'll end up with what's called a core dump--the OS never crashes, but programs do often.

I hope that helps. There are many subtleties about both of these, but as I said, it's a simplification.

Last edited:
The impression I have from grunting through all the posts in the HiFi Haven thread is that what happens is that the operating part of the program seems to paint itself into a corner from which it doesn't return for whatever the reason in the programming structure. The symptom is that the BluRay player stops accepting the next SACD which quitting happens between two and eight rips.

Cycling the power and doing the procedure over clears the problem. None of the folks complaining of this have mentioned the SACD files being corrupted. It seems like it might be on some particular stub of the program. (just a guess on my part)

The impression I have from grunting through all the posts in the HiFi Haven thread is that what happens is that the operating part of the program seems to paint itself into a corner from which it doesn't return for whatever the reason in the programming structure. The symptom is that the BluRay player stops accepting the next SACD which quitting happens between two and eight rips.

Cycling the power and doing the procedure over clears the problem. None of the folks complaining of this have mentioned the SACD files being corrupted. It seems like it might be on some particular stub of the program. (just a guess on my part)
I'm fairly confident that it is not faulty SACD's. I think because there is this program which overrides Sony's, mean spirited, decoding saga, that the Blu-ray player has a default, where it will only allow a certain amount of rips before it returns to its previous status.
I also think the developer of these ripping programs is either not aware of, or been asked to look into this specific issue.
Like I said, I just accept this quirk and have learned to live with it.
Not realising that quite a few other people have had the same issue.
Good to read that ssmaudio has solved his problem!! (y)

Thanks to all for all the great tips. I've got it working (sorta) but am still having one issue.

I'm using a Sony BDP-S390 and sacdextractgui. I've got an SACD ripped successfully, turn it on, eject the CD, put in a new one and then turn it off. Then when I get ready to rip it, it says libsacdread.so can't be opened. I can ping it just fine. If I hit Test it says port 2002 is accessible. (And I know that the IP hasn't changed etc. because I have my router reserve the address for it; and I've double-checked it.)

Sometimes if I turn on the player and turn it off again, it works (and I can rip the next CD successfully). Sometimes it doesn't; in that case, I have to start the whole process with sticking the USB stick in etc. etc. Then I can of course I can rip the CD successfully. But face the same issues after that disk.

Anyone have any ideas? Thank you. As I mentioned, I can get CDs to rip, just that I have to go through this rigamarole every couple of rips.
I realize the thread has moved forward, but I wanted to respond. Out of curiosity I decided to read your original post on this topic. From what you have written above, it makes sense that you get the libsacd… error, if I am understanding what you are saying. As soon as you turn it off after inserting the second disc, the operating system/system configuration is no longer in the "ripping back door mode" hence libsacd barfs (it unable to access the drive for ripping. After this point you need to re run the files on the USB stick so that the drive can be placed back in the read mode. I don't see anything to do with a memory leak here.
For discs after the first, simply ejecting the disc and reinserting the next disc should make it work. If the power button is hit, the whole process has to be started over.
This is of course unless I am missing something else in the thread.

Yes @bluelightning, you're right. Now I only hit the eject button after done with a rip.

So things were going great for around half a dozen disks. But now I've started hitting this "
Response result non-zero or disc opened". Resetting with USB, unplugging the player and starting again, etc. doesn't seem to work. Anyone hit this? Thanks!

[SUCCESS] Port 2002 of 192.168.68.116 is accessible.
[RUNNING][/Users/shankha/sacd-ripper/tools/sacd_extract/sacd_extract, -i, 192.168.68.116:2002, -s, -m, -o, /Users/shankha/SACD_rips]
Response result non-zero or disc opened
libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.68.116:2002 for reading

A
Yes @bluelightning, you're right. Now I only hit the eject button after done with a rip.

So things were going great for around half a dozen disks. But now I've started hitting this "
Response result non-zero or disc opened". Resetting with USB, unplugging the player and starting again, etc. doesn't seem to work. Anyone hit this? Thanks!

[RUNNING][/Users/shankha/sacd-ripper/tools/sacd_extract/sacd_extract, -i, 192.168.68.116:2002, -s, -m, -o, /Users/shankha/SACD_rips]
Are you sure it’s not a problem with that disc?

Maybe a screen shot here of your program- settings would help?

@pupster, this what you wanted? I'm not at home to try it (am at a craft brewery and actually working!) but this is what I used last.

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 5.28.57 PM.png

@pupster, this what you wanted? I'm not at home to try it (am at a craft brewery and actually working!) but this is what I used last.

View attachment 45524
Craft brewery mmm, well have one on me then please 🍻...

It would be helpful also to check the box "Print disc summary" while your problem occurs; so maybe later when you're able to be there. Also check out @ar surround's post number 103.

Yeah, I had already shortened the output directory... no dice.

Well, here's the weird thing. I got back from the brewery (so that's a couple of hours that the player was sitting idly) and stuck the USB stick in and started the process again. And it worked! I have no idea. No one touched it since the better half is away, so its state couldn't possibly has changed. A very long stretch: All I can think of is if the energy in the player dissipated as some capacitor discharged itself, so finally the player was in a steady state.

Who knows. One doesn't question why... one can only do or rip.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had already shortened the output directory... no dice.

Well, here's the weird thing. I got back from the brewery (so that's a couple of hours that the player was sitting idly) and stuck the USB stick in and started the process again. And it worked! I have no idea. No one touched it since the better half is away, so its state couldn't possibly has changed. A very long stretch: All I can think of is if the energy in the player dissipated as some capacitor discharged itself, so finally the player was in a steady state.

Who knows. One doesn't question why... one can only do or rip.
Power of the BREW 🍺

Back