Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, the problem was that I was hitting Run a bit too soon after shutting the player off. So the error was about it thinking that the door was still open. If I count to 10 and then do it, it works fine! Back in style.
Glad that you are back in business. Ripping an SACD often seems more like black art than science. ;)

Has anyone had an issue ripping Rolling Stones Hot Rocks and Depeche Mode Music for the Masses? The discs are playable just won’t rip. I get a can’t read/open error

Has anyone had an issue ripping Rolling Stones Hot Rocks and Depeche Mode Music for the Masses? The discs are playable just won’t rip. I get a can’t read/open error
I did not have a problem with Hot Rocks. (But the Hot Pockets lady just got thrown in the slammer for buying her kids way into USC.)

Hi and Welcome.
I presume all your other rips are okay?
The odd disc has the habit of playing up. The Depeche Mode for the Masses plays fine? Nothing else strange about the disc?
And the same for the Stones SACD?

Everything else rips fine. I found out the stones is an abkco disc and I probably have a mislabeled disc.....
The early Stones SACDs were on ABCO. For the earliest albums they even had separate releases of the UK and US versions. What's mislabeled? I think the set I have came with COAs as well.

Can you play the SACD layer but just not rip it??

Last edited:
Everything else rips fine. I found out the stones is an abkco disc and I probably have a mislabeled disc.....

Regarding Hot Rocks, the Stones SACDs were re-released as "DSD" but these were actually just redbook CDs. Perhaps that is causing the problem you are experiencing. I tried ripping the second disc containing the bonus material from the Moody Blues ISOTLC set three times. I got that "can't read/open" error each time. Then I looked at the disc and could not find the "SACD" designation. It was simply redbook...only the main disc with the 5.1 tracks was SACD.

Regarding Hot Rocks, the Stones SACDs were re-released as "DSD" but these were actually just redbook CDs. Perhaps that is causing the problem you are experiencing. I tried ripping the second disc containing the bonus material from the Moody Blues ISOTLC set three times. I got that "can't read/open" error each time. Then I looked at the disc and could not find the "SACD" designation. It was simply redbook...only the main disc with the 5.1 tracks was SACD.

That's a weird SACD package, if you look at the first SACD disc, it doesn't even show it's a SACD, or anywhere in the package.

MB-D.jpg

I got bitten by this. I inadvertently put what I thought was a Stones SACD (was labeled DSD) on eBay last year, luckily someone called out my mistake before it sold.

Both the SACD and the CD reissues of Hot Rocks were on the Abkco label, but only the paper sleeved digipak was an SACD. The plastic jewel case versions are all just a regular CD. This is true of the entire Stones catalog on Abkco, not just Hot Rocks.
Nothing is really mislabeled there, though they did paste a "DSD Mastered" sticker onto the packaging of the CD, which while a bit confusing is not actually false.

Only the EU reissue of Songs of Faith and Devotion is an SACD, because Depeche Mode was distributed by Mute/EMI in Europe. In the U.S. Depeche Mode was distributed by Sire/Warner, which was not a proponent of SACD in the format war, instead Warner championed DVD-Audio. The U.S. reissue on Sire/Rhino/Reprise is not an SACD for that reason.

Man oh man. The newly arranged daily email about what has been going on in the forum had a post about SACD ripping bluray players. Without this daily post, I would never have seen this thread. I JUMPED on it. I don't have many SACD's. Maybe the lack of being able to back them up made me steer clear. But now I have a new-to-me Sony BDP-S590 with a usb stick hanging out the front of it, and backups are happening. And being listened to using foobar2000 with the SACD plugin, albeit thru headphones at the moment. The only issue I had is that two of the files in the autoscript directory came down with a .flac extension. That's clever ( I thought ). Embed Linux cli commands in a .flac extension. They didn't work. Ditched the extensions. and all burst into life. I now remember just how clean the Isley Brothers 3+3 multichannel SACD layer sounds compared to the Stereo.

Hello, I'm not new to high res music but brand new to this forum. I've been using DVD Audio extractor to rip all of my surround DVD-A disks and am now ready to rip my SACD's and Blu ray audio. Due to this thread I have just gotten a Sony S5100 from eBay and all the files and software in place. The set up went fairly easily thanks to you all. I have the s5100 settings as shown and started up the unit with the thumb drive. . . all great. The IP address was shown in the settings clearly and to double check I unplugged it from the airport extreme and the numbers went away - replugged it in and they came back. I have iso2dsd_OSX_v6 in a folder with its companion files inside the hard drive folder. But when I opened the iso2dsd_gui.jar software and set up the IP address, checked "multi" and "Sony DSF" for output, all that was left was to hit "execute". When I do I get a "Failed to connect - libsacdread: Can't open 10.0.1.76: 2002". I've rechecked all the parameters I know about but it hasn't helped. I'm attaching screenshot of the Sonore window. Thanks for any advice you may have!

Attachments

• QQ - bFletch screen shot 1.png
    QQ - bFletch screen shot 1.png
    380.9 KB · Views: 161
Thanks, I check again and the 10.0.1.76 is the same but for the life of me and can't remember where I got the 2002 for the port. I got it along the way somewhere but I don't know how to recheck that.

Hello, I'm not new to high res music but brand new to this forum. I've been using DVD Audio extractor to rip all of my surround DVD-A disks and am now ready to rip my SACD's and Blu ray audio. Due to this thread I have just gotten a Sony S5100 from eBay and all the files and software in place. The set up went fairly easily thanks to you all. I have the s5100 settings as shown and started up the unit with the thumb drive. . . all great. The IP address was shown in the settings clearly and to double check I unplugged it from the airport extreme and the numbers went away - replugged it in and they came back. I have iso2dsd_OSX_v6 in a folder with its companion files inside the hard drive folder. But when I opened the iso2dsd_gui.jar software and set up the IP address, checked "multi" and "Sony DSF" for output, all that was left was to hit "execute". When I do I get a "Failed to connect - libsacdread: Can't open 10.0.1.76: 2002". I've rechecked all the parameters I know about but it hasn't helped. I'm attaching screenshot of the Sonore window. Thanks for any advice you may have!
Welcome to the QQ forum bFletch !

Hi. I have the same player and remember getting this error at least a couple of times during my rips. I would switch everything off and start again and it would then work. I had a look back through my notes and have a handwritten "2002 port" on a screen capture that I'd printed a hard copy of, so it's probably worth you keeping it there. I would first try and "switching everything off and starting again" method as it worked for me. Hope it behaves!

Hi. I have the same player and remember getting this error at least a couple of times during my rips. I would switch everything off and start again and it would then work. I had a look back through my notes and have a handwritten "2002 port" on a screen capture that I'd printed a hard copy of, so it's probably worth you keeping it there. I would first try and "switching everything off and starting again" method as it worked for me. Hope it behaves!
2002 is the port required. Perhaps it is a different port for the particular player you are using?

Back