Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Setting up the the SACDExtractGUI ripping software.
View attachment 38381
This picture shows how mine is set up to rip and proof that it works with a current rip in process.

The first hurdle is checking the IP address, it normally needs changing to exactly what you recorded from the Sony player and that will, normally, result in replacing the information in box 4 in the server code.

It's then down to you to set your preferences. I only require dsf and multichannel music. And then select where you would like the rip folder to go. I just set up a simple folder in my external hard drive as is shown.

Once you a happy that you have set the correct parameters and pinged and tested it, you should be ready to press rip.

This takes a few seconds for the Sony to respond but you should then see the process starting.

More to follow:
Hi,

I'm a rookie here and I'm trying to rip a few SACD's to my music collection. I was good till I hit this spot, I can not get the program sacd extract to open. Screen blinks but nothing opens. Am I doing something wrong?

Hi,

I'm a rookie here and I'm trying to rip a few SACD's to my music collection. I was good till I hit this spot, I can not get the program sacd extract to open. Screen blinks but nothing opens. Am I doing something wrong?
Hi and Welcome,
Always frustrating to read when folk have initial issues with ripping SACD's.
What equipment are you using in terms of PC and a ripping vehicle?
We need to start with the basics and, hopefully, move you forward.
Cheers
Mike

Edit : You are using a Mac PC .
With Mac's there is another action to take
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/page-15Post 284 states what is required. I understand that this is the action needed to get the SACD GUI up and working in MAC books.

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome,
Always frustrating to read when folk have initial issues with ripping SACD's.
What equipment are you using in terms of PC and a ripping vehicle?
We need to start with the basics and, hopefully, move you forward.
Cheers
Mike

Edit : You are using a Mac PC .
With Mac's there is another action to take
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/page-15Post 284 states what is required. I understand that this is the action needed to get the SACD GUI up and working in MAC books.

Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome! All you guys have my interest piqued with these SACD ripping and playing DSD files!. LOL! I tried using my Dell pc using windows 10 but the SACDExtract page wouldn’t open for me. I tried several times removing the program and retrying but it would not open. I have a Mac mini that I use Audirvana to listen to my music and I thought, what the heck I’ll try that. I added java added the programs and then it opened on the mini Mac! I am able to see the Sony BDP-S5100 player. When I test the connection it shows it works. I will look at your info today and try again. Thank you for your help!

Hi Mike, thanks for the welcome! All you guys have my interest piqued with these SACD ripping and playing DSD files!. LOL! I tried using my Dell pc using windows 10 but the SACDExtract page wouldn’t open for me. I tried several times removing the program and retrying but it would not open. I have a Mac mini that I use Audirvana to listen to my music and I thought, what the heck I’ll try that. I added java added the programs and then it opened on the mini Mac! I am able to see the Sony BDP-S5100 player. When I test the connection it shows it works. I will look at your info today and try again. Thank you for your help!
You are welcome.
Very surprised it didnt work through your Windows PC...this is normally the easier route to take as opposed to using the Mac.
I haven't used the Mac route as I'm purely a Windows man.
I presume the USB stick is up and running and fully tested. This can cause everything to halt if not set up exactly as described.
If it still plays up it might be worth reaching out to Mikey Fresh over on HIFIHAVEN.
Although we will try and get you to that ripping Holy Grail as well!!
Good luck.

Last edited:
You are welcome.
Very surprised it didnt work through your Windows PC...this is normally the easier route to take as opposed to using the Mac.
I haven't used the Mac route as I'm purely a Windows man.
I presume the USB stick is up and running and fully tested. This can cause everything to halt if not set up exactly as described.
If it still plays up it might be worth reaching out to Mikey Fresh over on HIFIHAVEN.
Although we will try and get you to that ripping Holy Grail as well!!
Good luck.
Mike,I was able to rip the Dire Straits 20th Anniversary Edition after making the change you showed me in the other post. Thank you so much for the help! Now I have to start buying SACD’s!😃

Mike,I was able to rip the Dire Straits 20th Anniversary Edition after making the change you showed me in the other post. Thank you so much for the help! Now I have to start buying SACD’s!😃
Fantastic, always great to read about folks success stories!!
Yes, for the top ones I recommend checking out our Hi-rez polls, that's how I started, after I remembered the code to unlock my wallet!! :D

Yes, for the top ones I recommend checking out our Hi-rez polls, that's how I started, after I remembered the code to unlock my wallet!! :D

And a wallet unlocked can be a dangerous thing !

quRHm1REjjxtu.gif

Afternoon

Just stumbled on this thread after looking at the Oppo 103/105 thread.

While I have an Oppo 105 it has been modded so may not work.

But this route, looks slightly easier than the Oppo. And there are a couple of suitable players going on eBay at the moment.

But anyone used a Mac Pro? Or am I Bette off trying to get my Windows 10 machine working (not sued for over a year!)

Shopping list:

Suitable Sony Player (from Page-1?)
An ethernet cross over cable?
A new 16GB USB drive?

And ensure I have a working Windows 10 PC?

Also what other software do I need, please to generate multi-channel Flacs?

Any assistance would be helpful.

I am UK based

A.

Afternoon

But this route, looks slightly easier than the Oppo. And there are a couple of suitable players going on eBay at the moment.

But anyone used a Mac Pro? Or am I Bette off trying to get my Windows 10 machine working (not sued for over a year!)

Shopping list:

A new 16GB USB drive?

I am UK based

A.
I found a Sony BDP-S5100 Like new with the remote for $70.00. I had to hook it up to my network and assign it a IP address. I had trouble using Windows to access the SACD Extract, but I used my mac and it worked perfectly after Mike helped me out. I just wish I would have bought SACD's 45 years ago when I started buying cd's! Instead of having 15,000 flac songs I'd have all DSD!

I found a Sony BDP-S5100 Like new with the remote for $70.00. I had to hook it up to my network and assign it a IP address. I had trouble using Windows to access the SACD Extract, but I used my mac and it worked perfectly after Mike helped me out. I just wish I would have bought SACD's 45 years ago when I started buying cd's! Instead of having 15,000 flac songs I'd have all DSD!

Hi Hamptonman,

thanks for your post.

What Mac did you use, please? I have a Mac-Pro connected via ethercable (most of the time?)

Also DSD or am I overlooking something simple?

And another question,

Was, am starting to read the Hifi-Heaven thread when they only mention the 2-channel layer.

Can I assume that people have extracted the multi-channel Layer? In particular, I would love to extract both Bat out of Hell and the War of the worlds 5.1 versions...

Again clarification would be appreciated :)

Many Thanks

Yes I did install Java. went to my mac mini, installed jave and then got it to open on the Mac. I changed the ip address to the assigned dvd and tested. It worked! then went down to run , but it says SACDs extract doesn’t exist or not executable.
I think the mistake that you and another poster are making is that you don't try to install the program, it just resides in a folder on your computer. You then click on click on SACDExtractGUI.jar (executable jar file) to run the program.

Last edited:
Afternoon

Shopping list:

A new 16GB USB drive?

I am UK based

A.
Hi again
Windows should be fine, although if not used for a year or so, will need updating!!
And as you have already seen, it's perfectly possible with a Mac.
Just follow the instructions, carefully, at the start of this post and you will be good to go.
I was lucky , I found a Sony Blu ray player, that can rip, for a good price on EBay.
Any information you need, ask away, it's not a problem.
Cheers
Mike

HiFiHaven is where I started to learn how to rip but found that it needed consolidating, hence constructing this thread to , hopefully, making it easier for other folk and to help me remember too!! :D

Last edited:
Can I assume that people have extracted the multi-channel Layer? In particular, I would love to extract both Bat out of Hell and the War of the worlds 5.1 versions...
Of course. Just select the layer you want.
I just wish I would have bought SACD's 45 years ago when I started buying cd's!
........but could you have bought SACDs in 1985?

Hi Hamptonman,

thanks for your post.

What Mac did you use, please? I have a Mac-Pro connected via ethercable (most of the time?)

Also DSD or am I overlooking something simple?
I used a 2014 Mac Mini with the latest version of Catalina loaded up. I used a 64 gig Scan Disk thumb drive formatted to Fat 32 and loaded the 3 files on as stated. I also reserved the Sony DVD player ip address so it won’t change on my router in case I turned it off and lost the ip. I modified the file on the Mac when I unzipped it to make it an application and it worked perfectly! 10 minutes later I was listening to the dsd files!

There is some breaking news about a new easier way to rip SACD's.

I have just used it, on my Sony Blu-ray player and it worked like a dream!!

I will come back shortly, with how it works. (Just need to water the garden!!)

So for all those about to, or wishing to, rip SACD's, this is an amazing development.
LOL! Now you tell me!

Back