Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay folks, hold on, this will really get your ripping skills made so much easier.

Although there is as light caveat in that it doesn't yet work for Mac users... :rolleyes:
But hopefully that will not take long, as it's being worked on as I type.

This is all courtesy from our good friends over at HIFIHAVEN .

In a nutshell, the ripping can all be done using a USB stick, with the correct autoscript, in the appropriate Blu-Ray player.
This will produce an iso image of the disc in stereo and multichannel, onto the USB stick.

No internet required for this process.

Amazing or what!!

To be continued.....

I have road tested this new procedure on a SACD disc and it worked flawlessly.
And I have played the ISO image through JRiver, again with no problems.

I used a Sony S4100 Blu-ray player and a 16gb USB2 stick (it needs to be either new or completely cleared of any existing info)

I will copy and paste details from the post over by Nexus3 on HIFIHAVEN:

Good evening everyone,

After a long hiatus, may I present to you - a complete set of AutoRip scripts to make SACD ripping as simple as possible:
AutoRip_overview_v1.png
As you can see it includes every Blu-Ray player known to work for ripping SACD's under the old format and it is being updated to confirm they also work with this new technique.

All that is required is:

1. Download the appropriate Autoscript for your Blu-Ray player.
2 . Copy it to the USB2 stick. (Ideally one that has a flashing indicator light)
3 Check it is all correct.
4 Follow the included instructions.( Very straightforward)
5. After ripping the ISO image onto the USB2 stick, check the contents of the image via a suitable source (I use JRiver)

And repeat the process for as many as you wish to rip, remembering to copy the image onto your windows PC.

That's it!!

There is a known issue which is being worked on:

There is an issue with AutoRip, which will sometimes refuse if the disc has special characters in the metadata, or at least that's what they think is happening.

Although there is as light caveat in that it doesn't yet work for Mac users... :rolleyes:
AutoRip does work on all platforms including macOS in the sense that you are not even using a computer to write the ISO to the flash drive, that happens automatically with no computer at all.
To then extract DSF from that ISO does require a computer, and either the SACDExtractGUI, or ISO2DSD program (Java required for either one) used in File mode, if you don't want to use a command line interface.
All of that works on macOS, Windows, or Linux.
I think you've confused the above with the current lack of sacd_extract v3.9.63 for macOS, I saw that on Sonore's download package, they have the newest binary on Windows and Linux only, but so far no macOS version.

AutoRip does work on all platforms including macOS in the sense that you are not even using a computer to write the ISO to the flash drive, that happens automatically with no computer at all.
To then extract DSF from that ISO does require a computer, and either the SACDExtractGUI, or ISO2DSD program (Java required for either one) used in File mode, if you don't want to use a command line interface.
All of that works on macOS, Windows, or Linux.
I think you've confused the above with the current lack of sacd_extract v3.9.63 for macOS, I saw that on Sonore's download package, they have the newest binary on Windows and Linux only, but so far no macOS version.
Yes, I was going on this info provided by Mikey Fresh
The updated sacd_extract 3.9.63 binary already exists for Windows and Linux, however my attempts to compile it for macOS failed, so I've asked Nexus3 to have a look at that.

While I have an Oppo 105 it has been modded so may not work.
It will work, and so will either Mac or Windows computers. There is just one small additional software setup step when using a Mac, almost no difference at all.
The only reason some people choose not to use an OPPO they already own is to keep that mileage off the nice machine, and use a cheap Sony to do the heavy lifting if they have hundreds of SACDs. So if you have only a small amount of SACDs, by all means use the OPPO. If you have hundreds of SACDs, perhaps picking up a cheap 2nd hand Sony to do the rips makes more sense.

Yes, I was going on this info provided by Mikey Fresh
The updated sacd_extract 3.9.63 binary already exists for Windows and Linux, however my attempts to compile it for macOS failed, so I've asked Nexus3 to have a look at that.

Right so apparently Sonore wasn't the only one with troubles getting the new sacd_extract version to compile on a Mac. Thats got nothing to do with AutoRip per se however, but if the new binary could be used in an updated version of AutoRip at some point, that might do away with the troubles caused by special characters in the metadata among other things.

To help Mikey Fresh out, he has asked if any QQ'rs use either a Marantz UD5007 or a 7007.
If so, can you PM me, as he would like these machines to show if they have the ability to rip.

In a nutshell, the ripping can all be done using a USB stick, with the correct autoscript, in the appropriate Blu-Ray player.
This will produce an iso image of the disc in stereo and multichannel, onto the USB stick.
Great but I recall that we used to do that with the old PS3s.
Internet has never been required AFAIK.
After a long hiatus, may I present to you - a complete set of AutoRip scripts to make SACD ripping as simple as possible:
AutoRip_overview_v1.png
As you can see it includes every Blu-Ray player known to work for ripping SACD's under the old format and it is being updated to confirm they also work with this new technique.
OK, A bit late for many of us who have found more efficient methods but, nevertheless, pretty cool.

Okay folks, hold on, this will really get your ripping skills made so much easier.

But hopefully that will not take long, as it's being worked on as I type.

This is all courtesy from our good friends over at HIFIHAVEN .

Amazing or what!!

To be continued.....

Thank you beerking!! 👏 This is great! It'll be so practical when you purchase 1 SACD and want to rip it. But if you are going to rip your whole collection, you must go the old way (computer required) just to avoid the transferring of every ISO file from the USB stick to your backup/file server ;)

Great but I recall that we used to do that with the old PS3s.
You did, but at considerably greater effort, cost, and complexity on the setup side, there is little or no comparison to the PS 3 method in that regard.

Internet has never been required AFAIK.
He meant network of course.

OK, A bit late for many of us who have found more efficient methods but, nevertheless, pretty cool.

Do elaborate, what are these more efficient methods? This looks pretty efficient, just plug the USB flash drive in and be ready to drop a disc in the tray, that's all. Then either play the resulting ISO, or extract DSF from it using the GUI. Easy.

Many are just getting started on ripping SACD, so while you've been at it for years, for many others this is not "late" at all. Please share these other more efficient methods you alluded to.

It should be noted that AutoRip has been around in beta form since at least Feb. 2019, this is just a finalization of sorts, after a lengthy hiatus.

Do elaborate, what are these more efficient methods? This looks pretty efficient, just plug the USB flash drive in and be ready to drop a disc in the tray, that's all. Then either play the resulting ISO, or extract DSF from it using the GUI. Easy.
OK. Efficiency is not simplicity and I do acknowledge that a simple USB plug-in autorip is appealing for beginners or casual users.

OTOH, what is more efficient is the ethernet-based procedure using sacd_extractGUI in which, with a single click, the system will rip the disc to an ISO that is stored on the appropriate device used for them and the DSF files (stereo and/or multichannel) are sent to the appropriate directory on a NAS for tagging and/or playback.

OK. Efficiency is not simplicity and I do acknowledge that a simple USB plug-in autorip is appealing for beginners or casual users.

OTOH, what is more efficient is the ethernet-based procedure using sacd_extractGUI in which, with a single click, the system will rip the disc to an ISO that is stored on the appropriate device used for them and the DSF files (stereo and/or multichannel) are sent to the appropriate directory on a NAS for tagging and/or playback.
Got it, and for the record, I too prefer SACDExtractGUI, in large part due to what you described. The naming of any output directory is highly useful and efficient, including Concurrent Mode (ISO+DSF) where an archival ISO and extracted DSF can be generated in a single pass of the optical media, with each one written to a different directory simultaneously.

But for beginners, or for anyone having problems with their network and associated firewall, or anti-virus/malware software simply not cooperating, this AutoRip method gets around all of that. While I have never had such problems myself, I've seen many others that do report that on various fora.

Last edited:
Was, am starting to read the Hifi-Heaven thread when they only mention the 2-channel layer.

Thats not what I see in the very first post in that thread. Rather, it says the following:

We'll focus on extracting the 2-channel stereo tracks, converting them directly to .dsf files and forgoing a full ISO disc archive, electing not to rip any multi-channel tracks. This saves significant storage space, ripping time, as well as the post-rip time and effort needed to split the stereo from the multichannel in a full ISO. Alternatively, opting to rip a full archival ISO (or even just the multichannel tracks) is only a difference of a couple of clicks in the GUI should one be so inclined.

Tried playing a MC SACD through my year-old Sony blu-ray player into my new Sony Atmos AVR. As expected, it doesn’t work. No doubt because I didn’t configure direct bitstream coding from the DSD multilayer up-conversion. Or something.

Sony’s failure, even after 20 years, to provide a reliable way to play MC SACD‘s directly through HDMI without an engineering degree is reason alone to drop the format.

Back