Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a Sony BDP-S6700 from 220 Electronics for around $200, now I know normal ones are less than $100 but this one is a Multi REGION player for both DVDs and BDs...
I have another one that I got at Walmart in 2017 for about $100 that is only region A and 1...I noticed this one has had a firmware update cause the home screen is different...now...I wonder... would it be possible to convert the old one to MultiRegion ???
Make your BDP player region free

Use the Sony remote to bring the player out of standby, make sure there isn't a disc in it;

Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the OneForAll remote. The light will start flashing;

Put the player back into standby with the Sony remote.
Setting free my Sony Blu-ray DVD playback | david.roess.li https://davidroessli.com > logs > 2011/11

Make your BDP player region free

Use the Sony remote to bring the player out of standby, make sure there isn't a disc in it;

Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the OneForAll remote. The light will start flashing;

Put the player back into standby with the Sony remote.
Setting free my Sony Blu-ray DVD playback | david.roess.li https://davidroessli.com > logs > 2011/11

May not work for your model.
Addendum: apparently, this procedure also works for the following Sony Blu-ray players:

• Sony BDP-BX1
  • Sony BDP-BX2
  • Sony BDP-BX37
  • Sony BDP-BX57
  • Sony BDP-BX58
  • Sony BDP-CX7000ES
  • Sony BDP-CX960
  • Sony BDP-N460
  • Sony BDP-S1
  • Sony BDP-S2000ES
  • Sony BDP-S270
  • Sony BDP-S280
  • Sony BDP-S300
  • Sony BDP-S301
  • Sony BDP-S350
  • Sony BDP-S360
  • Sony BDP-S363
  • Sony BDP-S370
  • Sony BDP-S380
  • Sony BDP-S383
  • Sony BDP-S470
  • Sony BDP-S480
  • Sony BDP-S5000ES
  • Sony BDP-S500B
  • Sony BDP-S550
  • Sony BDP-S560
  • Sony BDP-S570
  • Sony BDP-S580
  • Sony BDP-S760
  • Sony BDP-S770
  • Sony BDP-S780

Disappointing news I'm afraid. Following the advice to leave the player powered on, nothing happened.
The steps? Turned player on. Inserted USB stick. Waited until the drawer opened, stuck in "Songs Of Faith And Devotion" on SACD, and then let the drawer close. Player showed "loading" in the display, then the total time of the disc. I left it an hour and a half. Nothing.
Any suggestions?

I bought the player in January 2017

(just to note, there maybe a delay in responding. My player isn't where I'm currently residing)

Last edited:
May not work for your model.
Addendum: apparently, this procedure also works for the following Sony Blu-ray players:

• Sony BDP-BX1
  • Sony BDP-BX2
  • Sony BDP-BX37
  • Sony BDP-BX57
  • Sony BDP-BX58
  • Sony BDP-CX7000ES
  • Sony BDP-CX960
  • Sony BDP-N460
  • Sony BDP-S1
  • Sony BDP-S2000ES
  • Sony BDP-S270
  • Sony BDP-S280
  • Sony BDP-S300
  • Sony BDP-S301
  • Sony BDP-S350
  • Sony BDP-S360
  • Sony BDP-S363
  • Sony BDP-S370
  • Sony BDP-S380
  • Sony BDP-S383
  • Sony BDP-S470
  • Sony BDP-S480
  • Sony BDP-S5000ES
  • Sony BDP-S500B
  • Sony BDP-S550
  • Sony BDP-S560
  • Sony BDP-S570
  • Sony BDP-S580
  • Sony BDP-S760
  • Sony BDP-S770
  • Sony BDP-S780
....thanks for this, my Sony S560 could do with being region free.

Disappointing news I'm afraid. Following the advice to leave the player powered on, nothing happened.
The steps? Turned player on. Inserted USB stick. Waited until the drawer opened, stuck in "Songs Of Faith And Devotion" on SACD, and then let the drawer close. Player showed "loading" in the display, then the total time of the disc. I left it an hour and a half. Nothing.
Any suggestions?

I bought the player in January 2017

(just to note, there maybe a delay in responding. My player isn't where I'm currently residing)
You will likely need to enable the Quick Start mode in the player's settings menu first.
Then start with the player OFF, insert the pen drive with A6, player should awaken and open the disc drawer, and then it will close it again, so have an SACD ready to drop in.

You will likely need to enable the Quick Start mode in the player's settings menu first.
Then start with the player OFF, insert the pen drive with A6, player should awaken and open the disc drawer, and then it will close it again, so have an SACD ready to drop in.
I'll give that a rattle

I'm going to use S560, Do I extract the whole A1neo file onto the USB drive (has three files, one .sh file, and two just called file. 1KB, 1Kb, and 343KB.)?

Last edited:
Suffice to say I couldn't get it to work.

Well I could build you a special A6 variant, which will behave similar to the old A1 or A2 scripts.
But before doing that, we have to make sure whether your player is really lacking the sleep mode.

If the Sony UHP-H1 is OFF and you insert the USB flashdrive with A6 on it, does the tray open ?

Presumably the network option used for other Sony players is a dead end?

No at all, but that approach is more complex.

I'll recheck that in due course. If I recall I had to turn the player on to trigger the drawer to open

Unfortunately the S560 is not a compatible unit.
Sorry, that was a typo, I had just read post 463 where that was mentioned as a possibility,

I'm using BDP-S590. I'll double check quick start and auto play. Still wondering if I want all three files from A1neo, or just SACD_Extract on the USB stick?

To confirm. When I insert the USB stick into the player, with the player turned off, nothing happens. I have to turn the player on.
Also there is no quick start option available anywhere in the menus or submenus

Oh well these new Japanese 🌸 cherries 🍒 are certainly playing hard to pick!

So at least the UK version of the Sony UHP-H1 is lacking the sleep mode (= no quick start option).
I wouldn't be suprised if some regulation from Brussels is responsible for this.

In any case, here is a modified AutoRip A6 script, requiring an additional task from you:

1. Turn on the player and insert the USB flash drive
2. Tray will auto-open
3. Place the disc within 10 SECONDS onto the tray, which will auto-close
4. NEW - Wait until the disc has been recognised by the player and album title / length is shown
5. NEW - Change the SACD channel output setting (2CH <-> MultiCH) from the player's OnScreenDisplay menu (within 50 SECONDS)

6. ISO-Ripping will commence - observe disc spinning noise & USB flash drive LED activity
7. Disc will be ejected as soon as the ripping has finished

SACD channel swap is covered on page 34 of the player's manual - it does not matter from -> to which value you change it.

Good luck, maintain course and rest assured we have not come to the end of the road yet - even if the above fails too. :cool:

Loaded the latest version of the script, followed the revised steps and it's only just gone and bloody worked.
1595945917341.png

Superb job, absolutely superb job.

Superb job, absolutely superb job.
A plan is only as good as its execution - well done! 👏

Though we have a working solution now - featuring a manual channel swap, which btw is also necessary for a remote rip (via LAN) - there might be something better.

This could be a long shot, but here is yet another modified A6 script - very similar to the neos.

1. Turn on the player and insert the USB flash drive
2. Tray will auto-open
3. Place the disc within 10 SECONDS onto the tray, which will auto-close
4. Player will go into a special mode and might indicate a continues "OFF" or "LOAD" on its front panel display
5. ISO-Ripping will commence - observe disc spinning noise & USB flash drive LED activity
6. Disc will be ejected as soon as the ripping has finished
7. Player will turn itself off

As you can see no more manual action is required here - my major concern is however, that the shut-off command (issued between no.3 & 4) might be too old and hence ignored by newer Sony players.

Good luck!

Just received a Sony BDP-S7200 that I bought on eBay. So far I have ripped 12 SACD discs.

But there are 3 discs that generated error messages when using "SACDExtractGUI" to extract the ISO files (some of my discs are Multi-Channel). By disc:
  • "Boston" (original Sony/Epic single-layer SACD issued 22 years ago)
    • Program terminates! Warning: can't read Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-2 !! There are some errros on disc !

• "Blood, Sweat & Tears 3" (Mobile Fidelity 2003 Hybrid reissue)
    • Program terminates!
    • Warning: Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-1 did not match with Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-2. Disc has some errors !! Using TOC-2...
      libsacdread: Not a valid Area TOC!
      libsacdread: Erors processing Area 1 (TWOCHTOC)!!

• "Let's Dance" - David Bowie (EMI UK import Hybrid reissue from 2003)
    • Program terminates!

Warning: Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-1 did not match with Area 1 (TWOCHTOC) TOC-2. Disc has some errors !! Using TOC-2...
      libsacdread: Not a valid Area TOC!
      libsacdread: Erors processing Area 1 (TWOCHTOC)!!
The discs play fine on my Oppo. Does anyone have ideas about these errors?

Back