Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good evening,

here comes a new SACD ripping device - the Sony BDV-NF720, yet another Blu-ray sound system (receiver + player & speakers).

SACD AutoRip_overview_v7.png

Linux sony-player 2.6.35 #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Nov 7 15:36:08 JST 2014 armv7l GNU/Linux
-------------------
IC Version: MT8580BCAG
MSB: 000000c3
LSB: 00000022
table1: ffddb7c4
table2: 00001afe
prot: 00000202
IPTV: 00000000
Byte28: 00000000
-------------------
MSB: 1100 - 0011
LSB: 0010 - 0010
DivXHT - 11
DivXUltra - 01
DivXHD - 00
-------------------
------------------------------
ROM: |x
TZ: |x
AACS: v|
---------
DivXHT: |x
DivXUltra: |x
DivXHD: |x
SACD: v|
DolbyTrueHD: v|
DTSHD: v|
3DVideo: v|
DolbyDDCO: v|
DivXPlus: |x
---------
DolbyHeadphone: v|
DolbyPLIiIixIiz: v|
DolbyEX: |x
DolbyDigitalPlus: v|
DolbyVSpeaker: v|
DTSSurdSensation: |x
Multichannel: v|
DVDAudio: v|
Playready: v|
RM: |x
WMDRM: v|
CinemaNow: v|
Netflix: v|
Macrovision: v|
YahooWidget: v|
Browser: v|
AVCHD: v|
AdobeFlashLite: v|
Rhapsody: v|
NTFS: v|
---------
2ndARM: |x
DolbyAAC: v|
AACPLUSv1: v|
AACPLUSv2: v|
HomeTheater: v|
HDCD: v|
---------
WMA: v|
WMV: v|
H264_Encoder: |x
HDMI_RX: v|
DUAL_TX: |x
2D3D_Conversion: v|
InternalDIR: v|
TransportStream: |x
---------
L2 cache: v|
------------------------------

A few oddities surrounding this device:

• Firmware needs to be updated, before unit becomes "AutoScript" compatible (a 1st)
  • Instead of the usual tray loader, this BDV series makes use of a slot-in drive mechanism (another 1st)
  • Lacking a USB-powered sleep mode & disobeying IR commands, a fully automated AutoRip script is not (yet) possible - hence the archaic type (regular remote & telnet ripping modes are working though)

Last but not least the Sony BDV-NF720, not only has a little sister model but shares its firmware pool with the following family models:

BDV-N990W
BDV-N890W
BDV-N790W
BDV-N590

BDV-NF620

BDV-T79

I would love to rip SACDS but this is way too complex.
If you have a compatible player, it could be as simple as putting some files on a thumb drive, plugging it in, inserting an SACD, letting it rip directly to the thumb drive, and coming back later when it's finished to retrieve the drive and transfer the files to your computer. @Nexus3 can tell you which files to download for your player.

My Sony 8500 showed up at work (my mistake) today so once I get it I will start this process from scratch.
It seems simple enough so if your player is on the supported chart, you should be good to go northernsoul.

OK, Sony BDP-S6500 works.
I had a bit of challenge getting it going, but that is my fault for not noticing the gee nifty chart that keeps getting posted is for autorip to usb and not across the network to a desktop. I finally noticed the slight name differences from the post by beerking when compared to the A6 files from the chart.
😔

It really is super easy to do. If you have a supported model there is nothing to fear.

next up, figure out how to convert dsf to flac.

Embarrassment aside, I don't think it is a bad idea for the instructions to note that there are two methods of extraction and even though the USB stick is built the same, the files and outcomes are different.

next up, figure out how to convert dsf to flac.

Embarrassment aside, I don't think it is a bad idea for the instructions to note that there are two methods of extraction and even though the USB stick is built the same, the files and outcomes are different.
Foobar2000 can do the dsf to flac conversion with the right plugin.

Haven't found it yet but my old buddy ffmpeg has provided the following:
1599191115751.png

The file names show stereo/mch and source.
ffmpeg -i <Input>.dsf -af lowpass=24000 -sample_fmt s16 -ar 48000 <Output>.flac

I have read a number of times that the conversion distorts the upper freq hence the use of lowpass to eliminate it. I'll have to convert one without it and compare to see if it is true or not.

Haven't found it yet but my old buddy ffmpeg has provided the following:
View attachment 55907
The file names show stereo/mch and source.
ffmpeg -i <Input>.dsf -af lowpass=24000 -sample_fmt s16 -ar 48000 <Output>.flac

I have read a number of times that the conversion distorts the upper freq hence the use of lowpass to eliminate it. I'll have to convert one without it and compare to see if it is true or not.
I believe a 24k LPF cut wouldn't be noticeable, but I'm wondering why limit yourself to 48 Khz, I typically convert to 88.2 khz in Foobar, just curious?

Back