Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seemed to work simply and flawlessly on my old Sony S590. Used a 32G USB stick (NTFS) with the Autoscript folder copied to it. Followed the simple instructions and the display just kept flashing LOADING. Went off to vacuum (retiree taking up housewife chores!) and returned to find the player off. Took the USB and plugged into my PC with Foobar (SACD component installed) and it opened the ISO up to display the MC tracks followed by the stereo tracks. Couldn't be easier. Thanks to all involved!

You might also want to check out xrecode.com . It's $15 (there is a free trial period, I believe), but it is one of the most extensive file conversion programs I've seen, especially at such a low price. And the 64 bit version is multi threaded, so it is fast.

Last edited:
I am happy to report success using the process so thoroughly laid out by @beerking - made through about 20 rips so far, using the Sony BDP-S590. I will point out a few bumps in the road I encountered. First, it took me a while to figure out that I needed to add "2002" to the IP address in the Server line in SACDExtractGUI (you might want to add that important point in your initial instructions). Once I had that figured out, I was able to successfully run it for a few discs, before my Sony hit a snag - instead of just powering off, the front screen displayed "WAIT" for a couple of minutes. After it shut off, I tried to run the next disc but the GUI was saying something about not being able to open the port. The only thing that worked for me at that point was I started the process over - set up the thumb drive exactly as it was before (I removed a new folder "buda" that wasn't there before), reinserted into the Sony, followed the steps from the begining and was off and running again.

Many thanks to @beerking for taking the time to lay this out and for spending the time to keep everyone moving forward!

First, it took me a while to figure out that I needed to add "2002" to the IP address in the Server line in SACDExtractGUI (you might want to add that important point in your initial instructions).

The port 2002 should be pre-populated in the GUI on first launch, only the IP itself needs adjusting.

Once I had that figured out, I was able to successfully run it for a few discs, before my Sony hit a snag
There is a 6-7 consecutive disc limit before you need to reboot the machine, likely caused by a memory leak in the sacd_extract executable. Just power cycle the machine with the flash drive removed, then reinsert after the machine has completed it's initial boot sequence.

I removed a new folder "buda" that wasn't there before

You can just safely ignore that folder, it will not interfere with the rips, and the machine will always just rewrite that folder again anyway, so don't worry about it at all.

Last edited:
If anyone is interested: I have succeeded in directly connecting a Sony BDP-S4100 to a spare Windows 10 laptop using a twisted LAN cable, completely separate from my home network. The laptop is also disconnected from the intenet. I set fixed IP addressed on laptop and player, which saves me the bother of re-doing the IP address each time I switch everything on. Write me a message if you want more details. I have taken photos of every page with settings.

Question for @beerking or @SACD_ripper (or anyone else that might be able to help). I have successfully ripped most of my SACD collection using this method. However, there are 3 that are giving me problems. All 3 are Telarc classical SACDs feature Paavo Jarvi. I suspect the problem is that there are characters in Jarvi's name that don't translate when creating a folder path when ripping - specifically the "a double dot" in Jarvi's name. Here is a copy of the path it is trying to create:

C:\Users\Owner\Music\SACD Rips\Paavo J�rvi Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra - Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet - Suites from the Ballet

Note the bad character name in Jarvi. Anyone know how to get around this? Is there a way to manually override the name that seems to be embedded in the disc itself?

Question for @beerking or @SACD_ripper (or anyone else that might be able to help). I have successfully ripped most of my SACD collection using this method. However, there are 3 that are giving me problems. All 3 are Telarc classical SACDs feature Paavo Jarvi. I suspect the problem is that there are characters in Jarvi's name that don't translate when creating a folder path when ripping - specifically the "a double dot" in Jarvi's name. Here is a copy of the path it is trying to create:

C:\Users\Owner\Music\SACD Rips\Paavo J�rvi Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra - Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet - Suites from the Ballet

Note the bad character name in Jarvi. Anyone know how to get around this? Is there a way to manually override the name that seems to be embedded in the disc itself?
Your suspicion is indeed correct. I too have 4 SACD's that will not rip because of unreadable characters.
I'm not sure if there is a workaround for this problem.
Maybe Nexus3 can shed a light on this ripping error.

Your suspicion is indeed correct. I too have 4 SACD's that will not rip because of unreadable characters.
I'm not sure if there is a workaround for this problem.
Maybe Nexus3 can shed a light on this ripping error.
Yes I've experienced the same thing on a couple of European titles.

I am happy to report success using the process so thoroughly laid out by @beerking - made through about 20 rips so far, using the Sony BDP-S590. I will point out a few bumps in the road I encountered. First, it took me a while to figure out that I needed to add "2002" to the IP address in the Server line in SACDExtractGUI (you might want to add that important point in your initial instructions). Once I had that figured out, I was able to successfully run it for a few discs, before my Sony hit a snag - instead of just powering off, the front screen displayed "WAIT" for a couple of minutes. After it shut off, I tried to run the next disc but the GUI was saying something about not being able to open the port. The only thing that worked for me at that point was I started the process over - set up the thumb drive exactly as it was before (I removed a new folder "buda" that wasn't there before), reinserted into the Sony, followed the steps from the begining and was off and running again.

Many thanks to @beerking for taking the time to lay this out and for spending the time to keep everyone moving forward!
There is a 6-7 consecutive disc limit before you need to reboot the machine, likely caused by a memory leak in the sacd_extract executable. Just power cycle the machine with the flash drive removed, then reinsert after the machine has completed it's initial boot sequence.

And if that doesn't work, try unplugging the machine, waiting a few seconds and then plugging it in again. That's what I've had to do with my Sony BDP-S5100.

Yes I've experienced the same thing on a couple of European titles.

Maybe give the newest version of the binary by EuFlo a try:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/sacd-extract
I think the problem is not special characters but excessive path length on Windows (it won't happen on Linux or Mac)?

Last edited:
I just signed up to the forum to get help with my SACD ripping problem - Sony S490 drawer didn't open automatically when it was supposed to, Port 2002 not accessible error mesage from the Java client after a doing successful ping, etc.

Reading through the posts on here I spotted that some people had the 3 Autorip files stored at the root of the USB stick, as did I, and similar problems.

Hey presto, looking back the original instructions are a bit ambiguous, so when I fixed the file structure problem on the USB suddenly I had the drawer opening automagically on cue, and ripping working!

So thanks to all the people on here from the original posters, to those who patiently explained their symptoms, you helped me sort it out and I'm ripping again at bargain basement prices!

Cheers
Mick

I just signed up to the forum to get help with my SACD ripping problem - Sony S490 drawer didn't open automatically when it was supposed to, Port 2002 not accessible error mesage from the Java client after a doing successful ping, etc.

Reading through the posts on here I spotted that some people had the 3 Autorip files stored at the root of the USB stick, as did I, and similar problems.

Hey presto, looking back the original instructions are a bit ambiguous, so when I fixed the file structure problem on the USB suddenly I had the drawer opening automagically on cue, and ripping working!

So thanks to all the people on here from the original posters, to those who patiently explained their symptoms, you helped me sort it out and I'm ripping again at bargain basement prices!

Cheers
Mick
Hi Mick
Very pleased you were successful in SACD ripping.
Also welcome to the forum.
Hope to see you here more often.

Here's an issue I'm having with certain titles like the new Japan 7" Santana (also with Japan 7" Bitches Brew); upon ripping I checked the dsf files and notice on the first song only (Waiting), that there is a very short pop coming mainly from the silent center channel. If you have your system turned up with loud volume it can be potent. I'm using a Sony 5100 and SACDExtractGUI with settings at either Padding-less DSF or turned off. Not sure if I'm getting it on an ISO rip yet or not. But I may try and ISO+DSF next and see what happens. I've only noticed it so far on these Japan 7" SACDs.

You may not even notice it as you can see from the screen shots in Audacity below. The first one is regular view, and the second one is with many levels zoomed in.
I could just convert to flac and take it out in Audacity but I'd prefer to keep the dsf resolution if I can. I don't believe I have any DAWs that handle dsf files.
If someone else could check their files and see if that also happens to theirs I'd appreciate it?

Waiting SACD-1.jpg

Waiting SACD-POP.jpg

Here's an issue I'm having with certain titles like the new Japan 7" Santana (also with Japan 7" Bitches Brew); upon ripping I checked the dsf files and notice on the first song only (Waiting), that there is a very short pop coming mainly from the silent center channel. If you have your system turned up with loud volume it can be potent. I'm using a Sony 5100 and SACDExtractGUI with settings at either Padding-less DSF or turned off. Not sure if I'm getting it on an ISO rip yet or not. But I may try and ISO+DSF next and see what happens. I've only noticed it so far on these Japan 7" SACDs.

You may not even notice it as you can see from the screen shots in Audacity below. The first one is regular view, and the second one is with many levels zoomed in.
I could just convert to flac and take it out in Audacity but I'd prefer to keep the dsf resolution if I can. I don't believe I have any DAWs that handle dsf files.
If someone else could check their files and see if that also happens to theirs I'd appreciate it?

View attachment 56825

View attachment 56826
Can you really hear the difference between dsf and 96/24 flac, especially considering the resolution of the original recording? Or is it just knowing that the dsf is higher resolution that bothers you?

Can you really hear the difference between dsf and 96/24 flac, especially considering the resolution of the original recording? Or is it just knowing that the dsf is higher resolution that bothers you?
Ha, probably not, but I figure since I paid for it, I'm gonna squeeze every last drop of fidelity out of it :)

Back