Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the QQ Les_H, not sure about a solution for this as of yet, but we'll contemplate and hopefully come up with something!

Thank you, this is an interesting forum which I just discovered. I'm pulling out my hair on this one and there's not much left anyway. Maybe there's no solution. I'm still searching and thinking about it.

I'm using SACDExtractGUI and I believe it's the latest version downloaded yesterday: v0.1-5g97d05f95
That should work, the special characters issue with the Windows version of the binary was resolved a long time ago, nearly 2 years ago if I'm remembering it right.
I suggest this might be a damaged disc? Can you see any big scratches or other signs of damage?

That should work, the special characters issue with the Windows version of the binary was resolved a long time ago, nearly 2 years ago if I'm remembering it right.
I suggest this might be a damaged disc? Can you see any big scratches or other signs of damage?

The disc looks in perfect condition and has been rarely played. It plays fine in normal mode. I'm not sure the special characters issue has been fully solved. I'm having the same problem with another disc which also has a special character in the title and cannot be ripped - it just stops as soon as it hits the title with the special character.

I'm using SACDExtractGUI and I believe it's the latest version downloaded yesterday: v0.1-5g97d05f95
Actually, I stand corrected, that's Setmind's original version of October 2018, and it may not have had that fix in the Windows binary. His update of March 2019, or better yet the most recent enhanced version by EuFlo from August 2020 should solve that problem.
You can keep the same GUI, just replace the sacd_extract.exe file with this one (scroll to the very bottom to see the download links). The .89 is the most recent update.

Actually, I stand corrected, that's Setmind's original version of October 2018, and it may not have had that fix in the Windows binary. His update of March 2019, or better yet the most recent enhanced version by EuFlo from August 2020 should solve that problem.
You can keep the same GUI, just replace the sacd_extract.exe file with this one (scroll to the very bottom to see the download links). The .89 is the most recent update.

Thank you! I'll give it a try and let you know.

Hi:

With Sony ARMv7 this should work in my SONY BDP S-790 but it doesn't. Doesn't recognize usb. What am I doing wrong?
OK. it was a problem with the usb stick. Now all the process it is ok but I don't get in the last step extract the files from the sacd, using DSD2FLAC app

I am using this process but with a Mac and SONY S-790

Configure Windows PC
-- Create a folder where ripped files will be collected. FYI I made a folder: “ISO2DVD Cache”
-- Install ISO2DSD program into this folder (content is automatically recorded into subfolders generated by the program as each disc is being ripped). Place a shortcut to ISO2DSD on the desktop for convenience.

Configure USB memory stick
-- Connect USB to PC
-- Unzip the Autoscript folder and copy it to USB
-- Remove USB

Configure S390
-- Connect S390 to same LAN as the PC via Ethernet cable. Can use WiFi if preferred.
-- Restore to factory settings
-- Update to latest software (My eBay unit had “0422” and did not work until updated with “0502”)
-- Enable “Quick Start” mode
-- Deactivate HDMI CEC controls
-- Look at the System Information and note the IP Address your router assigned. (If you unplug the S390 from AC power, it may get a new IP address when reconnected.)
-- Turn off player

Configure ISO2DSD program
-- Open the program
-- Enter the IP address for the S390. The Port should default to 2002.
-- Set your preference for stereo or multichannel audio, in case the disc has both
-- Set your preference for output file type, DSF or DFF (Sony or Philips style). Quality is same but I use DSF as that works better with Roon.
-- Close program

The Process:
Step 1: Power on S390
Step 2: Insert USB stick into S390. Tray opens after a few seconds.
Step 3: Place SACD to be copied in tray. Touch the S390 Power button. Tray closes automatically. Power light goes off. She’s asleep. Remove thumb drive from S390.
Step 4: Launch ISO2DSD program. Click Execute. S390 drive should start up right away. Watch data flow at about 2 MB/sec.

Ah! I've lost track of how many of these old Sony players I've picked up in thrifts and then given away. I don't have a one! At least I have two Oppos...

Well, now I am able to rip my sacd collection with my SONY S-790.

I am using SACDExtractGUI to get the .dsf files and then I convert these to flac files using DSD2FLAC.

I use a OPPO UDP-203 to play flac files from external usb hard drive. I think I understand that the oppo´s dac does not support sample rates higher than 192 kHz. Then I think that 24 bit/176400 Hz is the best choose? Or there is not audible differences between 176400 Hz and 88200 Hz for a SACD rip?

Last edited:

I am using SACDExtractGUI to get the .dsf files and then I convert these to flac files using DSD2FLAC.

I use a OPPO UDP-203 to play flac files from external usb hard drive. I think I understand that the oppo´s dac does not support sample rates higher than 192 kHz. Then I think that 24 bit/176400 Hz is the best choose? Or there is not audible differences between 176400 Hz and 88200 Hz for a SACD rip?
I find that SACD via its's native DSD sounds better than when converted to PCM. Just keep the .dsf files as is and play via USB to the Oppo.

I rip mine all at 88200 Hz. I can't tell one bit of difference. But, that's me.

I find that SACD via its's native DSD sounds better than when converted to PCM. Just keep the .dsf files as is and play via USB to the Oppo.

This has 3 problems for me:

1.-Oppo doesn't play in gapless mode with dsf files
2.-Oppo doesn't show the cover of the album with dsf files
3.-I don't have unlimited space

It has been explained to me here that because dsd is bitstream, when converting to flac there is no need to go higher than 88.2 because that essentially captures everything.
Now DSD 256 I assume you could encode to a higher Hz rate but don't have any so can't test ... probably couldn't tell anyway.

In reality there's no need to go higher than 16/44 Redbook, that will capture anything that you can hear. If going higher gives you piece of mind, do so, storage is cheap today.

I can't imagine going through all the trouble and saving at only 16 bit, but that is me, and you can do what you want.

I can't imagine going through all the trouble and saving at only 16 bit, but that is me, and you can do what you want.
That's right, the dynamic range spec of SACD is about 20-bit, so it certainly makes sense to use 24/88.2 at a minimum, the recording may or may not possess that kind of dynamic range, but there's no reason to arbitrarily cut it off any lower.
One can argue 'till the cows come home about whether or not Redbook is "good enough", but it would be off-topic for this thread.

Last edited:
That's right, the dynamic range spec of SACD is about 20-bit, so it certainly makes sense to use 24/88.2 at a minimum, the recording may or may not possess that kind of dynamic range, but there's no reason to arbitrarily cut it off any lower.

One can argue 'till the cows come home about whether or not Redbook is "good enough", but it would be off-topic for this thread.

I chose 24/88.2. I let Saracon do all the work including the FLAC encoding. I keep the origional images and also the ripped dsd (multichannel only). I also make sure all the FLACs are 5.1 rather than 5.0 for Plex server compatibility. Nice having everything organized and served up from Plex. I also ripped all my multichannel DVD DTS and DD stuff to 24/16 48/96 FLAC, depending on the bit depth and sample rate of the DVD.

This has 3 problems for me:

1.-Oppo doesn't play in gapless mode with dsf files
2.-Oppo doesn't show the cover of the album with dsf files
3.-I don't have unlimited space

The only way I get DSD cover on my oppo 203 is when I stream DSD files through JRiver (UPnP/DLNA), other options (USB, connect directly to my file server) won't display it.

I chose 24/88.2. I let Saracon do all the work including the FLAC encoding. I keep the origional images and also the ripped dsd (multichannel only). I also make sure all the FLACs are 5.1 rather than 5.0 for Plex server compatibility. Nice having everything organized and served up from Plex. I also ripped all my multichannel DVD DTS and DD stuff to 24/16 48/96 FLAC, depending on the bit depth and sample rate of the DVD.
What device are you using to stream your Plex music? I've been waiting for over a year and a half for them to fix the Apple TV version. I've had to use VLC or jRiver to hear music on my Home Theater system.

Back