Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, now I am able to rip my sacd collection with my SONY S-790.

I am using SACDExtractGUI to get the .dsf files and then I convert these to flac files using DSD2FLAC.

I use a OPPO UDP-203 to play flac files from external usb hard drive. I think I understand that the oppo´s dac does not support sample rates higher than 192 kHz. Then I think that 24 bit/176400 Hz is the best choose? Or there is not audible differences between 176400 Hz and 88200 Hz for a SACD rip?
I rip 'em at 88.2. They sound great to me.

What device are you using to stream your Plex music? I've been waiting for over a year and a half for them to fix the Apple TV version. I've had to use VLC or jRiver to hear music on my Home Theater system.

I was using a firestick 4k up until a few weeks ago before they updated the firmware and broke Kodi audio pass through.

Now I use a mini PC with Windows 10. Kodi v19 Matrix beta 2 with the updated PlexKodiConnect add-on. I have a Harmony hub remote that runs Kodi perfectly. I have no issues at this point. It was nice to use a $25 device for a couple years but this new setup, although more expensive, is better, especially with the new Kodi version. 4K movie rips with HDR works perfect without any modifications. 4K video just looks smoother. Also, for audio, I don't have to change any settings to switch between stereo and multichannel which was a bit cumbersome on the firestick. The only thing I use the firestick for now is ChannelsDVR, which works well, but is far from state of the art video or audio but it offers the ability to watch TV without commercials which is a must, and is inexpensive, unlike cable tv.

I was using a firestick 4k up until a few weeks ago before they updated the firmware and broke Kodi audio pass through.

Now I use a mini PC with Windows 10. Kodi v19 Matrix beta 2 with the updated PlexKodiConnect add-on. I have a Harmony hub remote that runs Kodi perfectly. I have no issues at this point. It was nice to use a $25 device for a couple years but this new setup, although more expensive, is better, especially with the new Kodi version. 4K movie rips with HDR works perfect without any modifications. 4K video just looks smoother. Also, for audio, I don't have to change any settings to switch between stereo and multichannel which was a bit cumbersome on the firestick. The only thing I use the firestick for now is ChannelsDVR, which works well, but is far from state of the art video or audio but it offers the ability to watch TV without commercials which is a must, and is inexpensive, unlike cable tv.
Thanks for getting back to me. I really wanted it all under 1 roof, making it easier for both of us. If there was a streaming device that worked, and supported a few other things I require, I'd consider moving off ATV. JRiver is really good though. It sits on a Win 10 machine in my office (the same machine that is hosting plex) with excellent results. I too use a Harmony Hub and it switches between the two fine. But, I don't want to use my phone as a remote. Oh well.

Thanks for getting back to me. I really wanted it all under 1 roof, making it easier for both of us. If there was a streaming device that worked, and supported a few other things I require, I'd consider moving off ATV. JRiver is really good though. It sits on a Win 10 machine in my office (the same machine that is hosting plex) with excellent results. I too use a Harmony Hub and it switches between the two fine. But, I don't want to use my phone as a remote. Oh well.

I use both hub add-on remotes, Companion Remote and Ultimate Remote. The ONLY reason I got the Ultimate, was because it adds 7 additional devices to the hub setup. The Ultimate Remote is not a good remote. The button layout is terrible. However, the Companion Remote is great in every way! Once you master Activities, understand long presses, and use the number keypad to your advantage, it is nearly perfect. There is no direct device usage like you have with the phone app and the Ultimate, so understanding and implementing Activities is the key.

I use both hub add-on remotes, Companion Remote and Ultimate Remote. The ONLY reason I got the Ultimate, was because it adds 7 additional devices to the hub setup. The Ultimate Remote is not a good remote. The button layout is terrible. However, the Companion Remote is great in every way! Once you master Activities, understand long presses, and use the number keypad to your advantage, it is nearly perfect. There is no direct device usage like you have with the phone app and the Ultimate, so understanding and implementing Activities is the key.
I have a older Harmony remote from several years ago. I haven't used it since we dumped cable, I added the hub and went exclusively with the Apple TV. So, activities isn't a big deal for me. On the other hand, anything that isn't obvious will be a problem for my wife. If nothing else, I should look into replacing the Apple remote for the ATV. That is a pain in the butt. Have you used the Companion for any Apple products? Maybe that would be a good move for me.

I have a older Harmony remote from several years ago. I haven't used it since we dumped cable, I added the hub and went exclusively with the Apple TV. So, activities isn't a big deal for me. On the other hand, anything that isn't obvious will be a problem for my wife. If nothing else, I should look into replacing the Apple remote for the ATV. That is a pain in the butt. Have you used the Companion for any Apple products? Maybe that would be a good move for me.

It works seamlessly with a Firestick 4K. That uses a bluetooth remote connection. If the Apple TV works with your app on the hub, it will work with the Companion remote.

It works seamlessly with a Firestick 4K. That uses a bluetooth remote connection. If the Apple TV works with your app on the hub, it will work with the Companion remote.
Good to know. Thanks. I've also got my old remote. Maybe I'll dig it out and see if it can do anything. I appreciate you're getting back to me. Thanks.

OK - I tried to put together a short how-to guide for the Sony S5100 and S390 (the two I have).

Please add or comment to this doc as you guys see fit.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1beijAsSHgkFyy4PGRQhqOfO7YKncMs_X5F1kWXuiTNo/edit?usp=sharing
Thanks for putting this together. I just bought a Sony S5100 off of ebay for $35 and it's working great. One thing that wasn't very intuitive to me from the original instructions was that you connect to the player with SACDExtract while the player is off (I guess more like a sleep mode). Your guide made that much clearer to me.

Thanks for putting this together. I just bought a Sony S5100 off of ebay for $35 and it's working great. One thing that wasn't very intuitive to me from the original instructions was that you connect to the player with SACDExtract while the player is off (I guess more like a sleep mode). Your guide made that much clearer to me.
Just yesterday I started ripping SACDs again with the very same player after a bit of a hiatus (well over a year). I agree that turning the player off seems rather non intuitive so I jotted down a couple of notes to jog my memory for the next time. I like to click on the test button as well each time just to confirm that I'm still communicating with the player.

At the same time I was adding discs to the "My Collection" listing in Discogs I was a bit disappointed that many of the Abkco "Rolling Stones" SACDs are listed so cheaply, they must of produced a lot of them around 2002. I think that I'm only missing "Hot Rocks", I'm looking to pick up a copy.

I was a bit disappointed that many of the Abkco "Rolling Stones" SACDs are listed so cheaply, they must of produced a lot of them around 2002
Why would you be disappointed? So many SACD's and other multich disc's have become so expensive that they are unaffordable by many of us. I find low prices on used discs a good thing.

Why would you be disappointed? So many SACD's and other multich disc's have become so expensive that they are unaffordable by many of us. I find low prices on used discs a good thing.
I'm disappointed because I already have them in my collection, it's nice to see their value climb! As I recall I paid far more when they first came out. The Stones disc's mentioned are stereo only. I agree that low prices are a good thing if you're buying!

I'm disappointed because I already have them in my collection, it's nice to see their value climb! As I recall I paid far more when they first came out.
Are you planning to sell them? If not, so what?

Not planning to sell. It just seems strange to me that these discs are selling so cheaply, comparable to the prices being asked for regular CDs! I didn't expect my comment to spark controversy, I guess that I should of said surprised or shocked rather than disappointed?

Last edited:
@beerking Just ripped my first SACD today! Thank you so much for putting these details together!

I thought I'd share a few of the things I learned. Beerking's instructions are very good but I still made a few mistakes on the way. These are all pretty basic errors and may seem obvious but I thought if I mention them here it might help somebody else if they have a similar problem.

When I first tried the USB in the blu-ray it didn't work. This might have been because once connected to the internet it did its own software update check and was asking me if I wanted to install the latest updates. So it might be worth turning off the auto update check.

However, my main problem was that I had extracted auto update files directly into the root folder. I.e. NOT within a folder called "Autoscript" as they should be. This was a result of me being over cautious. Rather than extracting to a local folder and then copying across I extracted directly into the USB drive and in that process the parent folder got missed out.

For the first rip, I had the blu-ray attached to my TV and had to connect to my router wirelessly via a secondary access point. Once I got it working, I connected to the router by wire but with no TV screen. (My PC and router sit next to each other, in a different room from the TV.) If I can't ping the blu-ray, I check the router's admin info to see if the IP address of the blu ray has changed. In short, you don't need a TV screen, you can look up the IP address by seeing what's connected to your router.

As it happens, I am using Windows 10 64bit and the BDP s4100 so exactly the same as Beerking. Two things: 1: The front USB also works. 2: I updated to the latest firmware, which is later than that mentioned by Beerking, and it works fine.

@beerking Just ripped my first SACD today! Thank you so much for putting these details together!

I thought I'd share a few of the things I learned. Beerking's instructions are very good but I still made a few mistakes on the way. These are all pretty basic errors and may seem obvious but I thought if I mention them here it might help somebody else if they have a similar problem.

When I first tried the USB in the blu-ray it didn't work. This might have been because once connected to the internet it did its own software update check and was asking me if I wanted to install the latest updates. So it might be worth turning off the auto update check.

However, my main problem was that I had extracted auto update files directly into the root folder. I.e. NOT within a folder called "Autoscript" as they should be. This was a result of me being over cautious. Rather than extracting to a local folder and then copying across I extracted directly into the USB drive and in that process the parent folder got missed out.

For the first rip, I had the blu-ray attached to my TV and had to connect to my router wirelessly via a secondary access point. Once I got it working, I connected to the router by wire but with no TV screen. (My PC and router sit next to each other, in a different room from the TV.) If I can't ping the blu-ray, I check the router's admin info to see if the IP address of the blu ray has changed. In short, you don't need a TV screen, you can look up the IP address by seeing what's connected to your router.

As it happens, I am using Windows 10 64bit and the BDP s4100 so exactly the same as Beerking. Two things: 1: The front USB also works. 2: I updated to the latest firmware, which is later than that mentioned by Beerking, and it works fine.
Thank you for those kind words.
To think that was over 2 years now, that I managed to get something together to help our fellow QQ SACD rippers.
How time flies....:unsure:
Huge thanks for your tips and observations on how you were successful in getting your first SACD ripped!!
It can seem a very daunting task until you actually get into it and even then you think wow, I've done it!!
The Autoscript folder on the USB is a problem which many folk overlooked at first, me included!!
Hope you have many more SACD ripping success stories to share.
Cheers
Mike....aka Beerking.:)

Having a cheat sheet tucked under my Sony (the only thing I utilize my S5100 for, is ripping SACDs- & in my own words & sequence for understanding) is a must for me; as long periods of time go by until I build up a new stack of titles to rip and do it in a long session- much forgetting with this one 😄

Having a cheat sheet tucked under my Sony (the only thing I utilize my S5100 for, is ripping SACDs- & in my own words & sequence for understanding) is a must for me; as long periods of time go by until I build up a new stack of titles to rip and do it in a long session- much forgetting with this one 😄
I can assure you Pups , you are not alone!! :D

Back