Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The AVR is pretty new to me but it plays ripped SACD which is 24/88.2 PCM. Ill have to try something beyond 96kHz. Maybe it only goes to 96kHz.

Does anyone know what PCM bitrate the BDP-S5100 resamples DSD to?
I have no idea but, typically, it is 24/88.2 or 24/176.4.
Some AVRs or prepros will not do DSD at all.

I have no idea but, typically, it is 24/88.2 or 24/176.4.
Some AVRs or prepros will not do DSD at all.
I do understand that. But the Sony is supposed to be transcoding the DSD to PCM and sending it over HDMI. I know the AVR will process 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/48 FLAC (PCM). It may not do 24/176.4 PCM. and if that is what the Sony player transcodes to.... well therein lies the problem.

So, what is your AVR? Do you have the specs?
LOL yes. But its way to lo-fi for you Kal. It was actually purchased to provide local talk radio in my garage. Total cost was $35. I promoted it to my bedroom system to play around with and decided I like it there. I plug a Kodi enabled Amazon Fire 4K into it and it wirelessly accesses everything on my NAS. It would actually do it in 5.1, but I only do stereo in the bedroom. Music on the cheap... about $60 total not including the pair of Pioneer bookshelves I run with it. A wonderful bedroom system for an audio cheapskate like me.

Insignia NSR 5101HD I've looked at the manual. There is no specified bitrate. It's based on an Onkyo design from 10 years ago, I hear. I never even actually have to play SACD disks through it. They are all ripped and on the NAS, from which they play fine through Kodi. But why that PCM stream works but the Sony's PCM output dosent, i'm baffled.

Last edited:
FWIW, it says:
Digital Audio
Sampling Frequency 32, 44.1, 48, 96kHz.
I am guess that neither 88.2 nor 176.4 would work.

Last edited:
FWIW, it says:
Digital Audio
Sampling Frequency 32, 44.1, 48, 96kHz.
I am guess that neither 88.2 nor 176.4 would work.
Yeah, that's what I figured too. But then it doesn't explain how it plays 88.2 kHz through a Kodi equipped firestick.... unless Kodi is transcribing the stream on its own. Ill have to look into that.

LOL yes. But its way to lo-fi for you Kal. It was actually purchased to provide local talk radio in my garage. Total cost was $35. I promoted it to my bedroom system to play around with and decided I like it there. I plug a Kodi enabled Amazon Fire 4K into it and it wirelessly accesses everything on my NAS. It would actually do it in 5.1, but I only do stereo in the bedroom. Music on the cheap... about $60 total not including the pair of Pioneer bookshelves I run with it. A wonderful bedroom system for an audio cheapskate like me.

Insignia NSR 5101HD I've looked at the manual. There is no specified bitrate. It's based on an Onkyo design from 10 years ago, I hear. I never even actually have to play SACD disks through it. They are all ripped and on the NAS, from which they play fine through Kodi. But why that PCM stream works but the Sony's PCM output dosent, i'm baffled.
I don’t know what the problem might be, LuvMyQuad. However, from my experience with the Insignia TV in our kitchen, I swear I will never buy that brand ever again. It loses digital channels, loses favorites...it’s unreliable as far as maintaining what I’ve programmed into it.

I don’t know what the problem might be, LuvMyQuad. However, from my experience with the Insignia TV in our kitchen, I swear I will never buy that brand ever again. It loses digital channels, loses favorites...it’s unreliable as far as maintaining what I’ve programmed into it.
Yeah, I hear ya, but like I said, I was looking for something to use for AM radio (sports talk) in the garage. For $35 bucks on ebay, this worked. I was never expecting high end. Being that it had HDMI ins/outs and was 5.1, it seemed like a great deal. I think it still is. If I can get it to receive WiFi in the garage and run Kodi without a video monitor (with a smartphone remote), its a major step up for me in the garage. It hasn't acted unreliably at all for me. Its just limited in what it can and cant do.

I don't want to clutter this thread any more talking about this issue. Back to the Sony Ripping discussions....

Just to conclude the discussion on this, I did finally get the PCM output when playing SACD to work. I'm not sure why. My guess is it was a case of changing settings and then re-starting equipment. But the Sony player does convert SACD to PCM and the Insignia AVR does convert the resulting PCM stream to analog. Case closed.

i feel like I'm SO close... but how do you do a ping test on this latest version of ISO2DSD? I followed all of the steps, made sure the files were exactly as shown on my USB, everything worked as described with the SONY BDP-S5100, and when I hit "Execute", nothing happens... just dead in the water. No error messages, no nothing. I can't find this answered so my apologies if this is a repeat... anyone see anything wrong here? I could go wired too but I put my iMac and the BDP-S5100 on the same wireless, strong signal strength... just not sure what to try next?

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 2.07.19 PM.png
IMG_9296.JPG

And the power on the BDP-S5100 is OFF when you hit Execute, and that should wake up the machine?

Last edited:
i feel like I'm SO close... but how do you do a ping test on this latest version of ISO2DSD? I followed all of the steps, made sure the files were exactly as shown on my USB, everything worked as described with the SONY BDP-S5100, and when I hit "Execute", nothing happens... just dead in the water. No error messages, no nothing. I can't find this answered so my apologies if this is a repeat... anyone see anything wrong here? I could go wired too but I put my iMac and the BDP-S5100 on the same wireless, strong signal strength... just not sure what to try next?

View attachment 67471View attachment 67472
And the power on the BDP-S5100 is OFF when you hit Execute, and that should wake up the machine?

just type 'ping 192.168.7.125'

if that works then test that the port is open: 'telnet 192.168.7.125 2002'

OK yeah, when I ping it I get ongoing strings that say "64 bytes from 10.0.0.166: icmp_seq=45 ttl+64 time=4.152", (different IP than above because I changed wifi signals, the other one was coming out of an Eero signal booster with content restrictions so I wasn't sure if that might be the problem) so I'm assuming that means I can ping it... but the Execute button still isn't doing anything, it just presses and nothing.

OK yeah, when I ping it I get ongoing strings that say "64 bytes from 10.0.0.166: icmp_seq=45 ttl+64 time=4.152", (different IP than above because I changed wifi signals, the other one was coming out of an Eero signal booster with content restrictions so I wasn't sure if that might be the problem) so I'm assuming that means I can ping it... but the Execute button still isn't doing anything, it just presses and nothing.

OK it seems to me on the surface your local network setup is a little more complicated with signal boosters etc. The bottom line is, I think there's a hardware or software firewall somewhere that's blocking port 2002. This is why you can ping it but not connect to it. This would be my guess. For now if you don't have high volumes of discs to rip, use AutoRip temporarily :)

You know what, I think my version of iso2dsd is jacked up, because I can't navigate to .iso files either, when I try to, I can see folders but no files within... and when I click the "help" button, that also just opens a blank window. Something weird is going on with my iso2dsd itself I think.

But that makes no sense because I downloaded it right from Sonore.

For now if you don't have high volumes of discs to rip, use AutoRip temporarily :)

Ha… high volumes is the order of the day. But if I can get anything to reliably work, I’ll take it… I’m not in a big rush.

But I’ll keep playing around if anyone else has suggestions based on the shenanigans I’m experiencing. And if I have a breakthrough, I’ll post it.

Ha… high volumes is the order of the day. But if I can get anything to reliably work, I’ll take it… I’m not in a big rush.

But I’ll keep playing around if anyone else has suggestions based on the shenanigans I’m experiencing. And if I have a breakthrough, I’ll post it.
To start, let’s see what’s on your AutoScript stick. Give us a screen shot of what folders are on there and another of the files in the AutoScript folder.

Last edited:
Too start, let’s see what’s on your AutoScript stick. Give us a screen shot of what folders are on there and another of the files in the AutoScript folder.
This is usually the root cause of many folks problems, in ripping SACD's. Myself being a prime example in not getting it right on the USB stick, at the first attempt. Usually the best way to learn is to cock it up and then you don't tend to make the same mistake twice.

This is usually the root cause of many folks problems, in ripping SACD's. Myself being a prime example in not getting it right on the USB stick, at the first attempt. Usually the best way to learn is to cock it up and then you don't tend to make the same mistake twice.

Yeah, good points - I had to pop out, but am thinking when I get home again I’ll do a fresh run making sure there’s no BUDA folder, and maybe try to do the whole thing with the Sony and the iMac wired instead of on WiFi (but when I wired up the Sony the first time it wasn’t giving me an IP address so I’ll give it another shot since there are two places in the settings you can see an IP address). Seems like in this instance is really IS about trying all kinds of little tweaks and adjustments before “poof”, it works! I’m super frustrated but will persevere. Need some time away from it as was suggested earlier in the thread too.

Thanks all! Onward!

Yeah, good points - I had to pop out, but am thinking when I get home again I’ll do a fresh run making sure there’s no BUDA folder, and maybe try to do the whole thing with the Sony and the iMac wired instead of on WiFi (but when I wired up the Sony the first time it wasn’t giving me an IP address so I’ll give it another shot since there are two places in the settings you can see an IP address). Seems like in this instance is really IS about trying all kinds of little tweaks and adjustments before “poof”, it works! I’m super frustrated but will persevere. Need some time away from it as was suggested earlier in the thread too.

Thanks all! Onward!
Buda doesn't affect anything. I'll get you the instructions to convert .iso to DSD shortly.

Back