Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when I wired up the Sony the first time it wasn’t giving me an IP address
You probably didn't do the wired network setup in the player's Settings, both a wired or a wireless connection require that setup step.

I’ll do a fresh run making sure there’s no BUDA folder
As posted above, do not be concerned with the BUDA folder at all, it does not interfere with ripping SACD in any way, just ignore it entirely, it is not the source of any problem.

but the Execute button still isn't doing anything, it just presses and nothing.
Your USB drive probably lacks the AutoScript enclosing folder.

Last edited:
Um, excuse my French, but... HOLY SHITBALLS. It's working. THANK YOU to all who helped out with this! Turns out that I'm a doofus (no surprise). I clicked through the HiFi Haven thread to go through with a fine toothed comb and see what I was missing.... and yeah, I didn't have the sacd_extract terminal program unzipped and present in the same folder as the iso2dsd_gui.jar. And also, as stated by @SACD_ripper (who was a huge help), I didn't set up the wired connection properly on the Sony and once I did, it all came together. I need a shower. :LOL:

of course after two successful rips I reached right for Agents of Fortune to check, and it's grinding through it right now! WHOOP!

Okay so I am finally getting around to ripping music from SACDs using the Sony 7200 I picked up. I am using the SACDExtractGUI on my Mac and I am wondering, which processing do I choose? I want to rip the multichannel audio so I can convert it to a multichannel FLAC file to play on my system. Do I choose DSF? ISO? And then what app am I using to use my Mac to convert the SACDExtract outputted file to FLAC?

Okay so I am finally getting around to ripping music from SACDs using the Sony 7200 I picked up. I am using the SACDExtractGUI on my Mac and I am wondering, which processing do I choose? I want to rip the multichannel audio so I can convert it to a multichannel FLAC file to play on my system. Do I choose DSF? ISO? And then what app am I using to use my Mac to convert the SACDExtract outputted file to FLAC?
If you choose ISO you can easily convert to FLAC with Foobar.

Okay so what's the best way for me to get a multichannel FLAC file on my Mac from this SACDExtractGUI setup?

I don't know how you would do it on a Mac.
However, you can extract the DSFs (multi and/or stereo) using SACDExtractGUI.
Getting to FLACs depends on what you have available to you.

I am going to see if my Sony blu ray player will recognize the DSF files directly.

Okay so what's the best way for me to get a multichannel FLAC file on my Mac from this SACDExtractGUI setup?

Try X Lossless Decoder (XLD):

https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/
It worked for me on my Mac. But it's been so long since I did anything with the program that I can't remember the exact processes. The one thing I do remember is not to arbitrarily juice up the volume by 6 dB when converting from dsf to flac. You might end up with poor results.

Sonore DSD2FLAC is being very strange. The file section where you browse to where your files are located isn't showing any folders or files past a certain point. My ripped DSF files are in a folder on my Desktop and when I browse to Desktop for my user, it doesn't show anything, not the folder nor any files. Even if I choose All Files, it shows nothing.

EDIT: Looking closer, DSD2FLAC seems ancient. Does it even work on 64 bit Java and macOS?

Last edited:
And XLD won't open, because macOS says it cannot check the file for malware and to contact the developer.

Sonore DSD2FLAC is being very strange. The file section where you browse to where your files are located isn't showing any folders or files past a certain point. My ripped DSF files are in a folder on my Desktop and when I browse to Desktop for my user, it doesn't show anything, not the folder nor any files. Even if I choose All Files, it shows nothing.

EDIT: Looking closer, DSD2FLAC seems ancient. Does it even work on 64 bit Java and macOS?
And XLD won't open, because macOS says it cannot check the file for malware and to contact the developer.
I could not get DSD2FLAC to work, but that was on an older machine with macOS 10.11. Mikey Fresh told me that the program worked on his machine with macOS 10.13.

With XLD, you need to override the security for software that is not beholden to the App Store. (Google how to do this.)

Sonore DSD2FLAC for macOS, or the aforementioned XLD if it indeed handles multichannel files.
I did get XLD to work on that older Mac. XLD does handle multi-channel.

Reactions: mkt
So in other words, the Sonore software is old, out of date and probably only 32 bit.

Okay, well I am usually not comfortable bypassing gatekeeper completely, but I went ahead and did it for XLD. It appears to be working great. I successfully converted some DSF files to AIFF and edited them in Audacity before converting to FLAC. I am stoked now, as once I move I can start backing up and converting all my SACD content!

Last edited:
Okay, well I am usually not comfortable bypassing gatekeeper comnpletely, but I went ahead and did it for XLD. It appears to be working great. I successfully converted some DSF files to AIFF and edited them in Audacity before converting to FLAC. I am stoked now, as once I move I can start backing up and converting all my SACD content!
Good Strilo. That's also a good move to first convert to AIFF or WAV before editing in Audacity. And I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but you might want to avoid arbitrarily boosting the output by 6dB when converting from DSF or you may induce clipping. Some DSF files are already very loud.

All of my SACDs are packed up right now, so for my test I borrowed my friend's copy of Aerosmith Toys in the Attic. I did a 3dB boost for this disc and it seemed to be fine. The only editing I really needed to do was a very small pop at the very beginning of each track, before the music even started.

Back