Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of my SACDs are packed up right now, so for my test I borrowed my friend's copy of Aerosmith Toys in the Attic. I did a 3dB boost for this disc and it seemed to be fine. The only editing I really needed to do was a very small pop at the very beginning of each track, before the music even started.

Rip as one long file with cue sheet. Split after you convert to pcm.

Where does one get the cue sheets?

It is generated in the ripping software (Sonore) if you check the cue sheet box. Just change the extension to the pcm output format you are using at the time of splitting (AIFF, FLAC, WAV, ect), using notepad or MAC equivalent.

Sonore doesn't seem to work on Big Sur. I use the SACDExtract GUI process for ripping from the SACD disc outlined by SACD Ripper, amongst others.

Sonore doesn't seem to work on Big Sur. I use the SACDExtract GUI process for ripping from the SACD disc outlined by SACD Ripper, amongst others.

I have been using SACD extract gui which is probably not mac compatible either. I would be surprised if there isn't a way to output one long file and a cue with something mac compatible.

Any old windows pc will work because this isn't processor dependent. Maybe use an old pc laptop.

Looking closer, DSD2FLAC seems ancient. Does it even work on 64 bit Java and macOS?
Yes it does, in fact 64-bit Java is a prerequisite, it will only work on 64-bit systems. I can't speak for Big Sur, however there's got to be some way to defeat all of the security nonsense just like there is with previous macOS versions.

So in other words, the Sonore software is old, out of date and probably only 32 bit.

No, I'm not sure what made you think that, but a cursory look at the Sonore page shows this:
  • *Requirements: The dsd2flac file and the dsd2flac_gui.jar file need to be in the same folder, Java needs to be installed, 64 bit OS

Old yes but that doesn't mean it won't work, not my experience at all, though I can't speak to whatever stupid security shit Big Sur is imposing, but I can almost guarantee it isn't insurmountable.

Sonore doesn't seem to work on Big Sur.
I think it will, after all it's worked on various macOS versions for a bunch of years now, why would Big Sur suddenly be the end of the line?
I have it running on Catalina as per my previous post, we can probably help you to get it working on Big Sur but it will take a better description of the exact issue you are facing, what program behavior or error messages you get, we can't just guess as to those.
I think the thing you are missing here is that DSD2FLAC is just a front end GUI, a point and click interface that instructs the actual program so that you don't have to issue commands via a CLI. That front end GUI is Java-based, so long as Big Sur will run 64-bit Java and you provided the correct permissions, then that part is all done.
The GUI is not the actual program doing the heavy lifting, rather, that is the executable called dsf2flac found in the package.
  • Conversion based on DSF2FLAC, open source (GNU -V3)
If you haven't made that a worthy Unix executable, thats probably your problem, but again, we are just guessing if you can't give a detailed description of what you are seeing there.

I have been using SACD extract gui which is probably not mac compatible either.
Of course it is, that too is just a Java-based GUI, a front end interface or Java applet with which to point and click.
It is not the actual ripping program, that application is called sacd_extract. There are versions of sacd_extract available for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
The GUI itself is not OS specific per se, only the Java version is. Once you have 64-bit Java running for your OS, the exact same Java applet GUI is used for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
So the Java version is OS specific, and so is sacd_extract, but the GUI itself is not. You can see that on the developer's GitHub repository, there is only one version of SACDExtractGUI.

@Strilo FWIW, I just got this all set up and running (with big help from the good folks here) on a Mac running Big Sur—but what finally tipped it over was in my ISO2DSD folder, opening iso2dsd_gui.jar by itself first (holding down the Control key to bypass the Mac and my Bitdefernder software from preventing the open), and most critically, doing the same with the sacd_extract file (living in the same folder as iso2dsd_gui.jar, which I also screwed up) until the file icon changed from a blank page to a terminal window icon.

Oh yeah, another BTW if it's helpful to anyone... after I got my BDP-S5100 up and running, and ripping appropriately, after about 24 hours of it being plugged in via ethernet, my internet went down, piece by piece until the whole thing was off. I thought it was a provider issue, so they came and upgraded my router (score!), and got it all back up and running. I started ripping again, and after a while noticed that other devices on that same line started going offline again... long story short, I started troubleshooting, and when things start to go bad, if I simply unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the 5100, everything jumps right back to life.

I have NO IDEA what the deal is with this and didn't know that devices were capable of mucking up everything else on the chain, but I've proven it out—this is not an anomaly. So, now it's just something I'm aware of and when it bogs down I unplug it, start over, and give it a few hours before it bogs again. I can deal, it's just weird and if I can save you some head-scratching, I thought I'd share.

Oh yeah, another BTW if it's helpful to anyone... after I got my BDP-S5100 up and running, and ripping appropriately, after about 24 hours of it being plugged in via ethernet, my internet went down, piece by piece until the whole thing was off. I thought it was a provider issue, so they came and upgraded my router (score!), and got it all back up and running. I started ripping again, and after a while noticed that other devices on that same line started going offline again... long story short, I started troubleshooting, and when things start to go bad, if I simply unplug the ethernet cable from the back of the 5100, everything jumps right back to life.

I have NO IDEA what the deal is with this and didn't know that devices were capable of mucking up everything else on the chain, but I've proven it out—this is not an anomaly. So, now it's just something I'm aware of and when it bogs down I unplug it, start over, and give it a few hours before it bogs again. I can deal, it's just weird and if I can save you some head-scratching, I thought I'd share.

Rusty, after I rip 4 to 5 discs, my BDP-S5100 makes a "burping" sound and won't rip any additional discs. The solution is simply to unplug it, wait 15 seconds and then plug it back in. Then things are find for another 4 to 5 discs. Let's face it, this stuff is just weird.

I got it all to work using SACDExtractGUI and then XLD, so I am happy with this process. I now have shiny new Aerosmith FLAC files.

Are you splitting pcm now like I suggested?

Glad you got it working. I did all mine to FLAC and it is much more convenient since I use a Plex server to play all my multichannel music (and movies). I still saved all my long dsd files and their cue for the heck of it.

Hi all,
Just a big thank you from Geneva, Switzerland, for the procedure described in such detail.
As we speak, I am ripping my very first SACD (I felt it had to be DSOTM…) in both stereo and multi-channel, using an old Sony 5100 from the US purchased dirt cheap.
The whole thing is so seamless! So thank you again!
Happy ripping!
Javier

Hi all,
Just a big thank you from Geneva, Switzerland, for the procedure described in such detail.
As we speak, I am ripping my very first SACD (I felt it had to be DSOTM…) in both stereo and multi-channel, using an old Sony 5100 from the US purchased dirt cheap.
The whole thing is so seamless! So thank you again!
Happy ripping!
Javier
Hi boisdulac and welcome to QQ
Always great to read of other folks success with the SACD ripping and of a great album!!
Hope to hear from you more often, on this friendly site.
Cheers
Mike

Back