Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say I'm really thankful for all of this. Been using a PS3 for probably close to 6 years now. But this is such a nice alternative. Best part is I don't need a monitor hooked into it. Just sits on a shelf waiting for me to feed it. But I really think it's scary how the Sony is "off" and yet it's leaking all that data out the network port. Kinda creeps me out when I think about it. But not enough to stop using it. HA! Guess I need to sell the PS3 while I can (and before it dies on me).

Hi,

I've tried to follow the instructions provided. I purchased off eBay a new in the box Sony BDP-S390. It was a little more expensive but I figured that since it was new in the box, it would give me best chance of working. I purchased a USB drive a Sandisk Cruzer. I formatted it FAT32. I put the 3 files on it per the instructions. I set the system config settings per the instructions, notably the quick start option. I feel confident that the unit is seeing my USB drive, it puts a folder on it called "buda".

Now, one issue with the instructions... it says to use the rear USB port. My unit does not have a rear USB port. I have been trying the front USB port because that is all I have.

It gets on the network and says there is newer firmware available, but I have not installed it. At first, I thought keeping the old firmware would be better but maybe I need to try using new firmware.

So, what happens? I have my SACD installed. I turn the unit "off". Which is not really off. I have a Blu Ray logo on my TV for a bit but it goes blank. I then try to run SACDExtractGUI. The application can ping my player. (I have the IP address.) But, the test feature, where it connects to port 2002, fails. If I try to run the rip anyway, it says it cannot connect to port 2002 and aborts.

I'm feeling like the unit isn't reading the files on the flash drive. Again, the unit does seem to see my drive as it puts the buha folder on it.

The only thing I can think of is to try to update the firmware. Anybody else with any ideas? Thanks.

Hi,

I've tried to follow the instructions provided. I purchased off eBay a new in the box Sony BDP-S390. It was a little more expensive but I figured that since it was new in the box, it would give me best chance of working. I purchased a USB drive a Sandisk Cruzer. I formatted it FAT32. I put the 3 files on it per the instructions. I set the system config settings per the instructions, notably the quick start option. I feel confident that the unit is seeing my USB drive, it puts a folder on it called "buda".

Now, one issue with the instructions... it says to use the rear USB port. My unit does not have a rear USB port. I have been trying the front USB port because that is all I have.

It gets on the network and says there is newer firmware available, but I have not installed it. At first, I thought keeping the old firmware would be better but maybe I need to try using new firmware.

So, what happens? I have my SACD installed. I turn the unit "off". Which is not really off. I have a Blu Ray logo on my TV for a bit but it goes blank. I then try to run SACDExtractGUI. The application can ping my player. (I have the IP address.) But, the test feature, where it connects to port 2002, fails. If I try to run the rip anyway, it says it cannot connect to port 2002 and aborts.

I'm feeling like the unit isn't reading the files on the flash drive. Again, the unit does seem to see my drive as it puts the buha folder on it.

The only thing I can think of is to try to update the firmware. Anybody else with any ideas? Thanks.

Hello,

The first course of action is to update the firmware to the latest. We‘ve all been through what you have 😉

When it works, the tray will auto eject after you insert the USB drive.

Hi Rockster and welcome to QQ

We need to go back to the basics, I'm afraid.

First question, are you happy with the USB drive set up?
In that the commands are in their folder.

Buda is automatically added and will not cause a problem
An update shouldnt be required.

The front USB connection will be fine.

Can you post a pic of the Gui IP status?

Cheers
Mike

Dont worry we will get you there.

This is a known issue as well:
The key thing there is that certain browser/OS/settings combinations seem to yield different download results, some will zip the file needlessly (it's tiny), and that needs unzipping, and sometimes for reasons unknown some of those browser/OS/settings combinations will arbitrarily discard the actual AutoScript folder on unzip, leaving only the 3 files that are that folder's contents. You need an enclosing folder called AutoScript at the root level of the flash drive, no exceptions, and you can't name it something different.

Last edited:
Hi Rockster and welcome to QQ

We need to go back to the basics, I'm afraid.

First question, are you happy with the USB drive set up?
In that the commands are in their folder.

Buda is automatically added and will not cause a problem
An update shouldnt be required.

The front USB connection will be fine.

Can you post a pic of the Gui IP status?

Cheers
Mike

Dont worry we will get you there.

This is a known issue as well:
The key thing there is that certain browser/OS/settings combinations seem to yield different download results, some will zip the file needlessly (it's tiny), and that needs unzipping, and sometimes for reasons unknown some of those browser/OS/settings combinations will arbitrarily discard the actual AutoScript folder on unzip, leaving only the 3 files that are that folder's contents. You need an enclosing folder called AutoScript at the root level of the flash drive, no exceptions, and you can't name it something different.

His player creates the buda folder but doesn't do anything else. This is definitely due to an old firmware. I had to update mine for it to work.

At first, I thought keeping the old firmware would be better but maybe I need to try using new firmware.
Tell us which firmware version it is currently running. All firmware versions should work excepting the possible exception of the original firmware version the S390/590 players shipped with.

But let's stop guessing, which firmware is this player currently running?

I know at least one mistake. I have the three files in the root folder of my drive, not in the folder. I will do that. I will get the current firmware version but sounds like I need to update it.

I first tried fixing the USB drive without updating firmware, and it did not work, behaving about the same. I updated firmware and Shazam! It worked! Thanks for this thread and your responses!
Fantastic news.

Very pleased to read you are up and running with your SACD ripping.

Come back soon and share your thoughts, interests on what type of music you enjoy.

Alot of effort an experience is shown in this thread. Without having the time to read all of it, I'm hoping there's a kind soul who is willing to help me. I believe I followed the instructions very carefully, but still can't get it working. The attached picture shows where I get stuck. The SACD just never starts ripping. I ordered a crossover cable with hopes of getting that working, but without detailed instructions, I don't have much hope.

I'm using a Sony S5100

Attachments

• SACD.PNG
    SACD.PNG
    307.2 KB · Views: 68
Alot of effort an experience is shown in this thread. Without having the time to read all of it, I'm hoping there's a kind soul who is willing to help me. I believe I followed the instructions very carefully, but still can't get it working. The attached picture shows where I get stuck. The SACD just never starts ripping. I ordered a crossover cable with hopes of getting that working, but without detailed instructions, I don't have much hope.

I'm using a Sony S5100
Are you going directly into the player from your network card on your PC?

I'm using a Sony S5100
Hi and welcome to QQ,

Can you describe exactly the steps you have taken so far.

The most common problem is that the USB drive hasn't been set up correctly.

But anyway, we will get you up and running soon.

Cheers

Mike

I'm using a Sony S5100
A crossover cable is not likely to work because the Sony player relies on a DHCP server to get an IP address and it won't get one without because your computer is not running one. It could work if you set static addresses on both player and computer, but it's a lot of trouble.

Hi and welcome to QQ,

Can you describe exactly the steps you have taken so far.

The most common problem is that the USB drive hasn't been set up correctly.

But anyway, we will get you up and running soon.

Cheers

Mike
I setup the player according to the steps noted.
I extracted the AutoScript folder with the three files onto the USB 2 drive.
I started the player without a disc, but with the USB drive
When the tray opened, I inserted a disk.
The SACD player started (indication of a problem?)
I started SACD Extract and plugged in the IP address. I pinged and tested the IP, all seemed normal.
I tried to rip and nothing happened.

I started SACD Extract and plugged in the IP address. I pinged and tested the IP, all seemed normal.

What is the operating system and how is the network set up?

If you are using Windows, do you see the Oppo in Windows Explorer?

Windows 10

I did not look for the sony in internet explorer as I didn't think it had a GUI, but I did ping and test the connection.

I have the Sony connected to my router and I'm connected to my router via wifi. I Don't have the option of connecting my PC to the router.

This is why I was interested in using a crossover cable to connect directly to the sony.

Are the three files held within the Autoscript folder via the USB?

This should then happen..
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ayers-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/post-412981

Last edited:
Back