Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I extracted the AutoScript folder with the three files onto the USB 2 drive.
Assuming that is in fact the Pioneer-Sony version of the AutoScript folder, that should be all set so long as the drive is formatted FAT32 or NTFS.

I started the player without a disc, but with the USB drive
When the tray opened, I inserted a disk.
The SACD player started (indication of a problem?)
But did you close the disc tray with the Power OFF button? If so, and you had already properly enabled the player's Quick Start mode in Settings, then the disc won't play, it will rip.

Please see the contents of the I Drive (thumb drive) I just made and tried. Again, the screen didn't go blank. Instead it went to the SACD player of the sony,

Attachments

• I Drive.PNG
    I Drive.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 76
  • I Drive AS.PNG
    I Drive AS.PNG
    9.5 KB · Views: 66
Assuming that is in fact the Pioneer-Sony version of the AutoScript folder, that should be all set so long as the drive is formatted FAT32 or NTFS.

But did you close the disc tray with the Power OFF button? If so, and you had already properly enabled the player's Quick Start mode in Settings, then the disc won't play, it will rip.

It is FAT32.

One thing you said that I may have missed in the instructions: Are we to close the tray not with the eject button, but with the power button? When I try this, the unit turns off and I can't ping or test it using the GUI.

Last edited:
It is FAT32.

One thing you said that I may have missed in the instructions: Are we to close the tray not with the eject button, but with the power button? When I try this, the unit turns off and I can't ping or test it using the GUI.
Yes it's the power off button.

Have you got the Blu ray player and the PC connected separately to your router?

My comments on future questions etc will not be made until later this morning due to the time difference across the pond.

Don't worry, we will get there.

Yes that is exactly right. The player appears to be off. Weird, I know. Power it off and try and rip the disc

Yes that is exactly right. The player appears to be off. Weird, I know. Power it off and try and rip the disc
I'd add that after the Power OFF the disc tray will close, but you still need to wait for the player's front panel LED display to cease flashing OFF, only when that display has gone completely dark can you run the rip.
The above will only work if with Quick Start enabled.

Good news! I was able to get a rip done. It was the off part that I was missing. When I tried the off button to close the deck the first time, I didn't give it enough time before pinging the device. So the player and computer are setup correctly. Now the question is how to use the crossover cable, as I cannot connect my PC to the router with anything but wifi...

Good news! I was able to get a rip done. It was the off part that I was missing. When I tried the off button to close the deck the first time, I didn't give it enough time before pinging the device. So the player and computer are setup correctly. Now the question is how to use the crossover cable, as I cannot connect my PC to the router with anything but wifi...
Fantastic news!!

I have attached a link for the crossover cable

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ayers-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/post-414751
Hope that helps.

Here's an odd one. My goto SACD ripping device (Pioneer BDP-160) died recently, so had to get a replacement. I managed to pick up a Sony BDP-S390 for $10. So far so good. Once it was hooked up I obtained the relevant ripping files (both direct to USB and network methods) and set about ensuring that it all worked. It did, or so I thought.

Tests with several discs showed good rips (to iso) which could be read, played and converted to flac using Foobar. One disc however has an issue - The Carpenters Singles 1969-1981. The file sizes for the USB method vs network method (using SACDExtractGUI) are different.

USB rip size: 4,194,304 KB
Network rip size: 4,596,994 KB

It turns out that the direct to USB rip has truncated the final track on the USB - Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day). The file size is 31,615 KB vs 398,799 KB when converted from the 'good' rip. The latter also plays correctly and completely using VLC whereas the truncated mix breaks up into garbage after 35 seconds.

I have done both rips multiple times with identical results (obviously using the exact same disc) and the disc itself is blemish free.

Any ideas on what might be going on?

Here's an odd one. My goto SACD ripping device (Pioneer BDP-160) died recently, so had to get a replacement. I managed to pick up a Sony BDP-S390 for $10. So far so good. Once it was hooked up I obtained the relevant ripping files (both direct to USB and network methods) and set about ensuring that it all worked. It did, or so I thought.

Tests with several discs showed good rips (to iso) which could be read, played and converted to flac using Foobar. One disc however has an issue - The Carpenters Singles 1969-1981. The file sizes for the USB method vs network method (using SACDExtractGUI) are different.

It turns out that the direct to USB rip has truncated the final track on the USB - Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft (The Recognized Anthem Of World Contact Day). The file size is 31,615 KB vs 398,799 KB when converted from the 'good' rip. The latter also plays correctly and completely using VLC whereas the truncated mix breaks up into garbage after 35 seconds.

I have done both rips multiple times with identical results (obviously using the exact same disc) and the disc itself is blemish free.

Have you tried a different USB drive? Those things get hot and flaky sometimes.

Is the USB drive formatted FAT32? You are awful close to the file size limit. Try individual files instead of a single iso.

I bet your AutoRip USB flash drive has simply run out of available storage space, so that rip was truncated.
If that flash drive does still have available storage space, then you might have hit a FAT32 folder size limit of 4GB, however I think that is actually an individual file size limit and not a folder size limit, so you should be ok there, but thats for DSF tracks in a folder, as @marpow said above, one single ISO file can't exceed 4GB on FAT32 formatted flash drives.
If that is the issue, then reformat the drive NTFS and you'll lose that limitation.

Well the winner is Marplot with his suggestion of a 4GB limitation. I initially tried a different USB but it had the same problem, so reformatted the original as NTFS (which the Sony seems to support) and it worked. Took 90 minutes instead of the usual 25 minutes to rip however. I think I'll stick to using a network rip for longer playing time SACDs. Thanks all for your help, and may GOS's hot and flaky dreams come true.

If you pick up a larger usb stick I bet the ntfs performance is better. I have some smaller usb drives that are dogs when going from fat32 to ntfs.
USB 3 is really the key if your usb port supports it.
I know, fat32 for multiple small files and ntfs for big fat ones but not all usb drives work to spec in the real world.

Back