Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DTS-CDs are "just" Redbook CDs. You can rip them like regular CDs using a computer optical drive. However, to play them back, you will need a DTS decoder. Otherwise, all you will hear is (very loud) noise. I'm sure that there is a software decoder that will do this offline, so that you can save the files as decoded multichannel WAV or FLAC. Note that this won't recover the data lost during the lossy DTS encoding process, so while the resulting decoded files are "lossless" by type, they are not truly lossless. There may also be software that will convert the DTS-encoded Redbook 16-bit/44.1kHz stereo audio to native 20- or 16-bit/44.1kHz DTS files (".dts" file extension). The player foobar2000 was mentioned above; I'm not sure if it (via plugins) will do either, or simply decode the DTS on playback.

The only discs these Blu-ray players will rip are SACDs. For everything else, you need a compatible computer optical drive.
Foobar will convert DTS CD's to wav or flac just click on convert. You need the DTS decoder installed foo_input_dts.

DTS CD's are 20 bit so if you leave the the bit depth setting at auto if will produce a 16 bit file (bit depth of a regular CD is 16 bit). You can change it to 24 bit (there is no 20 bit setting) if you want to capture the full resolution possible from the disc.

Foobar will convert DTS CD's to wav or flac just click on convert. You need the DTS decoder installed foo_input_dts.

DTS CD's are 20 bit so if you leave the the bit depth setting at auto if will produce a 16 bit file (bit depth of a regular CD is 16 bit). You can change it to 24 bit (there is no 20 bit setting) if you want to capture the full resolution possible from the disc.
Thanks. I will give it a shot!

Okay, thanks for the confirmation.

Going to be a few more questions now.

Did you record the IP Address? Yes and they were matched and the 'ping' and 'test' both worked.

What are the numbers showing in the Gui software. For the IP? 192.168.1.66 - which is what the player is connected to.

Can you take a picture to confirm?

How is the Blu ray player connected to your PC? It is connected to the router via ethernet.

Are both machines hard wired to your modem/ router? No - only the player.

Have you set up the Blu ray player as per the initial setup instructions? Yes.

Sorry, but tricky to diagnose unless we know how and what you have achieved, so far.

On your various points - see my replies in the quote!

I had the same issues when I first got set up. The final and only fix for me was buying a new USB thumb drive that came from Amazon (they come with FAT 32 already formatted). It was some odd glitch from using an older, previously used USB thumb drive - even though it was properly formatted. Worth a try, if it comes to that.

I have already done that and purpose-bought a USB-thumb drive for this very experiment!

On your various points - see my replies in the quote!

I have already done that and purpose-bought a USB-thumb drive for this very experiment!
Right....it looks like you are following all the instructions, perfectly. :)

What type of PC are you using for the ripping process?

Is it a laptop, etc?

I wonder if the Blu ray player is missing part of the operating sequence, when the USB is inserted.

Will be back on this tomorrow, as I can hear my bed calling me.

Keep the faith Shug

Cheers

Mike

Thanks. I will give it a shot!

Rip to regular 5.1 flac and not dts within a 2.0 flac, for compatibility.
File size is larger but when you add them in with other non-dts songs, it will be less glitchy. No loss in sound quality.

Rip to regular 5.1 flac and not dts within a 2.0 flac, for compatibility.
File size is larger but when you add them in with other non-dts songs, it will be less glitchy. No loss in sound quality.
Foobar will rip to 5.1flac, (DTS is converted to PCM) with foo_input_dts installed, you just click on convert.

To make a 2.0 flac from the undecoded DTS bitstream would make little sense, and quite possibly would be glitchy (as you say) if it even works.

Foobar will rip to 5.1flac, (DTS is converted to PCM) with foo_input_dts installed, you just click on convert.

To make a 2.0 flac from the undecoded DTS bitstream would make little sense, and quite possibly would be glitchy (as you say) if it even works.

It definitely works with Audiomuxer. There is a specific setting for it.

The glitch happens when transitioning between a PCM file and a DTS file in the same playlist. Making everything PCM solves the issue as well as being compatible with more devices.

Homer's Music Media Helper will take the 2.0 FLACS that are DTS, and convert them to standard 5.1 PCM FLACS. That's what I used to convert all mine that were originally made using Audiomuxer.

I have ripped all of sacds and listened to them through my oppo 203 that I have owned for 4 years. I wish I had done this earlier now that I know it is so easy! This has inspired me to rip all my multi channel disks and movies. It looks like that is pretty easy except I am unsure about how to do the dts 5.1 cds from the 90s. Any advice from you wonderful, helpful folks? Thanks again.
I use "DVD Audio Extractor" @ DVD Audio Extractor -- Full featured DVD audio ripper for your easy use I think they have a free trial. With that, you can extract DVD-A multi channel (or stereo) into a DTS stream (which you can then burn to a regular blank CD) You can rip any DTS encoded disc with ANY CD ripper. The resulting file will retain the track info encoding that came with the disc, the ripper (and players) cannot detect the difference between a regular CD and a DTS encoded CD. If the digital output of the player is not connected to a DTS ready device (say, in the car?) you will hear fax machine noise on each track. The DTS system can sense the data stream and 'kick in' when needed.

My apologies in advance....without having to scour through this entire thread, is the list of Sony BDPs on the first page to be considered a definitive list or are there other players, Sony or other brands that will work for SACDs.

For DVD-A disks, I too use DVD Audio Extractor. It can also be used in conjunction with MakeMKV for protected Blu-ray Audio (or concert) disks, using the backup function.

I have a copy of Open Your Eyes, by Yes with M/C audio using a technology called SAIL. I will try DVD Audio extractor to see if I can RIP the M/C audio

Cheers

My apologies in advance....without having to scour through this entire thread, is the list of Sony BDPs on the first page to be considered a definitive list or are there other players
Yes, definitive.

Sony or other brands that will work for SACDs.
I think there were one or two Panies cant find the link now.
Look here for a full list,
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/post-69000Also some older PS gamers
It's not worth the time to fool around. The Sony's are plentiful and cheap on ebay and work without issues.

Last edited:
I use "DVD Audio Extractor" @ DVD Audio Extractor -- Full featured DVD audio ripper for your easy use I think they have a free trial. With that, you can extract DVD-A multi channel (or stereo) into a DTS stream (which you can then burn to a regular blank CD) You can rip any DTS encoded disc with ANY CD ripper. The resulting file will retain the track info encoding that came with the disc, the ripper (and players) cannot detect the difference between a regular CD and a DTS encoded CD. If the digital output of the player is not connected to a DTS ready device (say, in the car?) you will hear fax machine noise on each track. The DTS system can sense the data stream and 'kick in' when needed.
Just for clarity, DVDAE will not recognize a DTS CD

Yes, definitive.

I think there were one or two Panies cant find the link now.
Look here for a full list,
https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/post-69000Also some older PS gamers
It's not worth the time to fool around. The Sony's are plentiful and cheap on ebay and work without issues.

Thanks, I do have a couple of PS3s but their firmware is the most current and does not avail itself to Rip[ping SACDs any more. Which makes me ask. any firmware versions on the definitive Sony BDP list that renders them unusable?

As some noted I just ripped the dts cds as normal cds into flac files. The files play back perfectly in surround thru my oppo 203! I hate that I have owned the oppo for 4 years and have not done this earlier. Now on to dvd-a, dvd-v, blu ray and ultra 4k!

As some noted I just ripped the dts cds as normal cds into flac files. The files play back perfectly in surround thru my oppo 203! I hate that I have owned the oppo for 4 years and have not done this earlier. Now on to dvd-a, dvd-v, blu ray and ultra 4k!
I didn't know that was possible. I knew it worked with WAV files, but didn't think it would with FLAC.

I chose 24/88.2. I let Saracon do all the work including the FLAC encoding. I keep the origional images and also the ripped dsd (multichannel only). I also make sure all the FLACs are 5.1 rather than 5.0 for Plex server compatibility. Nice having everything organized and served up from Plex. I also ripped all my multichannel DVD DTS and DD stuff to 24/16 48/96 FLAC, depending on the bit depth and sample rate of the DVD.
I think I am having a similar problem as you with my Oppo... I am unable to play any 5.0 SACD ISOs... They are sent to my receiver as 2.0. all 5.1 SACDs and various other multi-channel formats work correctly.

What software are you using to add the .1 to your 5.0 for compatibility with Plex.

I've been using ISO2DSD and DSD2FLAC... But didn't see that option.

Thanks for the help.

Back