Sony Blu-Ray Players used for SACD ripping

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A year ago, I ripped all my SACDs (all four of them) without issue with my Sony BDP-S6200. I recently came upon Elton John's Madman Across The Water SACD for 17$CAD. Today I was trying to rip it following the guide and it was not working. I went back to the Hifihaven forum to read and see what was going on. Then I found that the procedure for my model was different than the others, so I copied it to my computer and I'm going to share it here in case anyone has that same issue.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/post-105564

I have been using a Sony S4100 model and have updated the software to the latest available which is M15-R-0255
These updates have not shown any adverse effects to the process.

More to follow:

Once you have the Sony Player it needs to have an initial set up:

1. Setup -> Audio Settings -> DSD Output Mode (Off)

2. Setup -> BD/DVD Viewing Settings -> BD Internet Connection (Do not allow)

3. Setup -> Music Settings -> Super Audio CD Playback Layer (SACD)

4. Setup -> System Settings -> Quick Start Mode (On)

5 Also make a note of the IP address as this will be required in the SACDExtractGUI ripping process.
Tried to rip a couple of titles yesterday; and it started the process but immediately stopped stating it was done, but it hadn't ripped anything. I had a quick power outage the other day, so I'm thinking I might need to re-setup the player :unsure:

Tried to rip a couple of titles yesterday; and it started the process but immediately stopped stating it was done, but it hadn't ripped anything. I had a quick power outage the other day, so I'm thinking I might need to re-setup the player :unsure:
Certainly worth exploring that first pups.
How long since you last ripped, successfully?

Looked ok otherwise, I won’t get to it till maybe later today, but I’ll keep you updated. You ever remember seeing that situation?
Can't say I have pups and we've had a few power cuts here, over the years.
Which didn't result in any changes to the Blu ray player set up, or the ripping process.
Mind you, my player is kept boxed up until its needed.

Then it sounds like a gremlin has entered the process , somewhere, pups....grrr
Are you happy with the PC side of commands etc?
OK Mike, I went through the Setup on the Sony, and it looks to me like everything checks out. But still no JOY / no worky!

I also just tried a fresh JAVA install (I figured I'd give that a shot) with no difference.

Here're some screen shots of my files - first the Flash Drive AutoScript folder=

FLASH DRIVE AUTOSCRIPT FOLDER CONTENTS.jpg

Next here's a the top and bottom of the .jar app =

SACDExtractGUI screen 1.jpg

SACDExtractGUI screen 2.jpg

OK Mike, I went through the Setup on the Sony, and it looks to me like everything checks out. But still no JOY / no worky!

I also just tried a fresh JAVA install (I figured I'd give that a shot) with no difference.

Here're some screen shots of my files - first the Flash Drive AutoScript folder=

View attachment 81681

Next here's a the top and bottom of the .jar app =

View attachment 81682
View attachment 81683
Hmm
This is all very strange, pups

How about trying to rip an SACD you've already had success with?

It's sleepy time for me pups....

Will catch up with you tomorrow

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what happened between yesterday and today, but I fired it up, and with several tries got it working on one I'd done recently. Then exchanged the SACD with the new one (that didn't want to rip yesterday) and it kicked in OK. The only thing different I noticed today was, at first it didn't want to rip due to connection IP issues. It had for some reason replaced the 72 number in the IP address with 100 (although yesterday I know it was correct -as you can see from my screen pics, it was a different issue then.) Once I put it back to 72 it started ripping - just some dogged 🐶 persistence wore it out I guess :ROFLMAO:

:LB

Well, I don't know what happened between yesterday and today, but I fired it up, and with several tries got it working on one I'd done recently. Then exchanged the SACD with the new one (that didn't want to rip yesterday) and it kicked in OK. The only thing different I noticed today was, at first it didn't want to rip due to connection IP issues. It had for some reason replaced the 72 number in the IP address with 100 (although yesterday I know it was correct -as you can see from my screen pics, it was a different issue then.) Once I put it back to 72 it started ripping - just some dogged 🐶 persistence wore it out I guess :ROFLMAO:

:LB
Great news Pups 🐶 :QQlove

Where there's a will there's a way, eh.

I must admit it had me stumped as everything looked to be OK.

Sometimes these Sony Blu ray players have a tendency to play up....

Perhaps it's Sonys way of saying how dare you bypass our foolproof SACD ripping patent.... :D

Great news Pups 🐶 :QQlove

Where there's a will there's a way, eh.

I must admit it had me stumped as everything looked to be OK.

Sometimes these Sony Blu ray players have a tendency to play up....

Perhaps it's Sonys way of saying how dare you bypass our foolproof SACD ripping patent.... :D
Running into that same problem today with this title, it ripped another SACD just fine, but didn't with this 2L-

https://www.discogs.com/release/24152711-Ståle-Kleiberg-Do-You-Believe-in-Heather
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the special character in the artist's first name for the folder it creates :unsure:

Ståle Kleiberg

Running into that same problem today with this title, it ripped another SACD just fine, but didn't with this 2L-

https://www.discogs.com/release/24152711-Ståle-Kleiberg-Do-You-Believe-in-Heather
I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the special character in the artist's first name for the folder it creates :unsure:

Ståle Kleiberg

Yep, afraid so Pups. The special character will prevent succesful ripping of that release.

I've not tried SACD rippers suggestion in using Euflo's enhanced version.

Have you Pups and, if so, how did it go?

Don't know anything about this, & didn't see any link for documentation.

Would you be willing to provide some screen shots of the program?

Thanks.
It's just an updated version of the sacd_extract.exe file found in your GUI's folder, you would simply delete the version of that file you already have and replace it in that very same folder location with this updated/enhanced version.
If you use SACDExtractGUI, you don't even necessarily need to immediately delete the executable you have, just download the new one and then point the GUI at it wherever it resides, you could leave it in your downloads folder, drag it onto your desktop, whatever you like, then just point the GUI's Program field at it's location, and try to rip that problem disc.
EuFlo has been developing the latest versions of the executable since 2020, Setmind hasn't updated his original v3.9 since spring 2019, so the torch has effectively been passed.
All of the documentation is on that GitHub page for every version since June 2020, just go to the bottom of the page and click on Assets, then download the latest version for Windows and use as described above.

Last edited:
Back