SPOTLIGHT Sony Japan 7" Mini-LP Hybrid SACD Series - Comprehensive List of Multichannel Titles

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems like the 7" isn't available....I'll check on eBay to see if anyone is selling a copy....don't care about the sound quality I know already how bad it is ..... only want the 7" package (y)

Actually if the sound is just so atrocious/appalling, why don't Sony Japan redo it? :confused: :unsure:

They never redo anything. They use what they have in the can. If they had to redo it, they'd never spend the money.

But the later 5.1 was better regarded, right?

I am not sure. I never liked the Q8, the CD-4, or the original Sony SACD. I guess the SACD 5.1 is sonically better, that's for sure. It's still not anywhere near a surround demo. Lots of potential for a great mix (James in the rears?) but that doesn't happen.

I don't think the Tapestry 5.1 mix deserves the bad rap it gets. As @sjcorne observed, it would be better if some of the elements were more fully discrete in the rears, but even as it is, it's still a pretty good listen. The attention to detail in the mix is excellent, the instrument balances are perfect and the tonality is really nice - this mix is leagues above other "not fully discrete" mixes of classic albums, like Richard Chycki's Rush 5.1s, for example.

Also, the 5.1 mix on the Japanese 7" version of Tapestry is the same one as the 1999 Sony US and EU releases, so if you're solely after the 5.1 mix (and not the packaging) you might be able to find it on the second-hand market closer to home for a cheaper price.

Also, the Q8 of Tapestry is 100% not a new quad mix - it's the stereo mix in the front speakers with an echo chamber in the rear speakers. I verified this myself by pulling a track into my DAW and by sliding the waveforms of the rear speakers into time alignment with the front speakers, I was able to get 100% double stereo, which means there's nothing unique in the rear speakers.

BTW, IN STOCK @ ImportCD

https://www.importcds.com/tapestry-hybrid-sacd/4547366319606
Includes two bonus tracks:

bgr_Spacer.jpg
Bonus Tracks
bgr_Spacer.jpg
Out In The Cold
bgr_Spacer.jpg
Smackwater Jack (Live)

Last edited:
I don't think the Tapestry 5.1 mix deserves the bad rap it gets. As @sjcorne observed, it would be better if some of the elements were more fully discrete in the rears, but even as it is, it's still a pretty good listen. The attention to detail in the mix is excellent, the instrument balances are perfect and the tonality is really nice - this mix is leagues above other "not fully discrete" mixes of classic albums, like Richard Chycki's Rush 5.1s, for example.

Also, the 5.1 mix on the Japanese 7" version of Tapestry is the same one as the 1999 Sony US and EU releases, so if you're solely after the 5.1 mix (and not the packaging) you might be able to find it on the second-hand market closer to home for a cheaper price.

After reading this post I went back to my Tapestry SACD rips on my PC to listen again, since I respect so highly the opinions of steelydave. I wanted to see if I was hallucinating or something. So I pulled up "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" and pulled it apart, track by track. I was sure that the lead vocal and all vocals were in all 5 channels. Guess what? I was wrong. The vocals are nicely distributed around the 5 speakers, and James Taylor is indeed "in the back" in the rear left speaker, as he should be. "Get back there James!" :)

I must have been thinking of the quad, which is mud. So, having said that, please no one be dissuaded from grabbing this SACD while you still can. It really does sound very nice. There are stacks of 5.1 mixes of discs that are worse. I may go over to the poll thread and vote, or change my vote, once I listen to the rest of the tracks.

I stand corrected, and thanks Dave. Good post.

After reading this post I went back to my Tapestry SACD rips on my PC to listen again, since I respect so highly the opinions of steelydave. I wanted to see if I was hallucinating or something. So I pulled up "Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow" and pulled it apart, track by track. I was sure that the lead vocal and all vocals were in all 5 channels. Guess what? I was wrong. The vocals are nicely distributed around the 5 speakers, and James Taylor is indeed "in the back" in the rear left speaker, as he should be. "Get back there James!" :)

I must have been thinking of the quad, which is mud. So, having said that, please no one be dissuaded from grabbing this SACD while you still can. It really does sound very nice. There are stacks of 5.1 mixes of discs that are worse. I may go over to the poll thread and vote, or change my vote, once I listen to the rest of the tracks.

I stand corrected, and thanks Dave. Good post.
You mean Carole has her own speaker, backing vocals are spread around? It sounds as your written post that yes her vocals are spread around, but you may be speaking of various parts that are spread around. I'm not 100% sure. But I own the Sony SACD and enjoy about 2/3 of it still. The burnout factor is strong here as my mother bought it in 1970 and everyone played it to death. Home Again (and feelin' right), Smackwater Jack, and Will You Still Love Me are still nice to hear anytime.

You mean Carole has her own speaker, backing vocals are spread around? It sounds as your written post that yes her vocals are spread around, but you may be speaking of various parts that are spread around. I'm not 100% sure. But I own the Sony SACD and enjoy about 2/3 of it still. The burnout factor is strong here as my mother bought it in 1970 and everyone played it to death. Home Again (and feelin' right), Smackwater Jack, and Will You Still Love Me are still nice to hear anytime.

No, she is not 'solo center speaker', and yes, this album (that I love(d)) is a major burn out factor for me so I rarely listen to it, which is why I did not have fond memories of this SACD, even though I saw that I voted a '9' back in the polls.

What I did was take the track "Will You Still Love Me..." and pulled it into RX7 Advanced (which works with 5.1 files) and extracted the vocals only. I wanted to hear just the voices. This resulted in a 5.1 file of only James and Carole on that tune. It was pretty interesting in that it unveiled the different tracks of Carole's vocals and they are indeed spread around the speaker with her main vocal in the full center (she's in all 5 speakers) but her harmonies and layers are positioned in locations that can be heard when revealed by removing the musical layers.

It's pretty interesting when you hear it. And of course, James' vocals are mostly in the rear left channel with a bit of blend around the others.

On the whole it works well. Still, I can't listen to this album much anymore. Just like the Beatles and other albums I've played to death, I just can't take them unless the proper mood hits.

I don't know how I missed this release. I grew up with this album and thought I knew every note. This was the soundtrack to my first... Man, was I mistaken. I heard orchestration I've never heard before. Perhaps not as discrete as some, but it's still totally awesome and appropriate to the source material. If you think you know and appreciate this album like I did, do yourself a favor and get this release. Promise you'll be pleased...like the first time ;)

I would love it if Sony see’s fit to release,
Santana’s Caravanseri
Santana & McLaughlin’s Love Devotion & Surrender
Mahavishnu Orchestra’s Between Nothingness and Eternity
Blue Oyster Cult’s Tyranny & Mutation

Back