Sony Music Quad Titles You'd Recommend for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Andy Williams? Hmm, that seems unlikely for Audio Fidelity since we know that Marshall Blonstein is a Rock fan and Andy, well....

Andy Williams? Hmm, that seems unlikely for Audio Fidelity since we know that Marshall Blonstein is a Rock fan and Andy, well....

I understand and appreciate that he is not AF's thing.. or probably many people's thing now..

..still, it is a shame as the 1976 "Andy" album is an old Quad that will seemingly forever now be consigned to history and never be heard in its discrete 4-channel form because even on SQ LP it really is rather special..

..sound quality and mix are gorgeous, there's some wonderful musicianship involved (Larry Carlton, Jay Graydon, Leland Sklar, Jim Keltner, Hal Blaine..) and stylistically it was an attempt for him to try something different and in production feel and overall sound it's unlike his earlier Quads.. ah well, I'll always have the SQ which the Surround Master does a great job with, I love it even if nobody else does! :eek:

I was just reminded from reading the 'what is your latest matrix quad LP' thread that Arista records did quad LP's, and as far as I know Arista was a subsidiary of RCA and they're all now owned by Sony.

Arista didn't do very many quads, but one of them is one of my favourite jazz/funk albums, 'Back To Back' by The Brecker Brothers. It's an absolute powerhouse of an album and aside from the Breckers, features a who's who of New York studio musicians including Steve Gadd, Will Lee, Don Grolnick, David Sanborn and even a pre-solo fame Luther Vandross on vocals, who must have done this album just after he did Bowie's 'Young Americans'. I would kill to get this on AF SACD for both the stereo and quad mixes - the last time this came out on CD and didn't have the dynamic range squashed was 1996! The 2007 and 2012 remasters (which were both only released in Europe) were both single digit dynamic range abominations.

(Arista also did quad mixes of Eric Carmen's first solo album (the one with 'All By Myself' on it), 3 Barry Manilow albums, 2 Melissa Manchester albums, and The Outlaws 'Lady In Waiting' but I don't know any of these albums well enough to vouch for them.)

Sincerely, the only guy in the world that owns an original Brecker Brothers 'Back To Back' promo poster:

4.jpg

Back