Sony Music Quad Titles You'd Recommend for Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I didn't figure is that if a CD was recently reissued that there would be a quad block. So it's not only about recent SACDs being licensed/reissues.

That's correct. If an album was recently reissued on CD, it's unlikely to be reissued on SACD by Audio Fidelity or the other reissue labels.
Guess that would be a reissue block... :)

I just ordered mine today along with Loggins & Messina. One of my issues with this album is that wacky vocal placement on 2-3 of the songs. The other being the absent organ on "I wanna take you Higher". Still, I'm looking forward to it both for the Quad and the mono hit mixes. This will be the first one of these discs I actually listen to the non-multichannel portion!

My fingers are also crossed for Small Talk, High on You, and the supposedly-mixed-but-left-unreleased There's a Riot Goin' On and Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back albums. Curiously, I've never found any evidence that Fresh was ever mixed to Quad.

I just ordered mine today along with Loggins & Messina. One of my issues with this album is that wacky vocal placement on 2-3 of the songs. The other being the absent organ on "I wanna take you Higher". Still, I'm looking forward to it both for the Quad and the mono hit mixes. This will be the first one of these discs I actually listen to the non-multichannel portion!

My fingers are also crossed for Small Talk, High on You, and the supposedly-mixed-but-left-unreleased There's a Riot Goin' On and Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back albums. Curiously, I've never found any evidence that Fresh was ever mixed to Quad.
I would not hold my breath waiting for any of those other titles other than maybe "Riot" if it really did get a quad mix. At least not from AF. I guess it's possible another company will come along and start putting out all of the quad masters by any and all of the artists of note.
It is interesting that "Fresh" did not get mixed to quad, being from 1973 and all, so odd.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...7-quot-Sampler-from-the-CBS-Technology-Center

It is announced as Coming Soon in a Columbia advertisement as seen above along with an untitled Laura Nyro album. Might have been Eli and the 13th Confession which we know DOES exist. So, I would not put off the possibility that it does exist.

The others are decent albums with solid mixes and one or two hits. I can't see why AF wouldn't put them out if possible. They put out Labelle which was (let's face it) a one-hit wonder. Why not some Sly titles?

What were the hits included on Small Talk, High on You, and Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back?

These are not really commercial enough albums to consider when there are Chicago's Greatest, Gord's Gold, or Edgar Winter's platinum album.

Don't get me wrong, I love R&B and made it a point to get High on You, and even a few hitless Curtis Mayfield albums in the collection. But AF needs sure fire slam-dunks with hits and crossover appeal for this 4.0 series.

Speaking of Curtis Mayfield - wasn't the "Roots" album on a horridly duplicated Q8 and Q4? I wonder what that mix actually sounds like?

Well, Small Talk is probably the least popular of those mentioned as it only had two Top-40 Hits with "Time for Livin' " and "Loose Booty".
But some of the other songs on the album have aged well.

High On You's titular track got as high (pun!) as #3 on the charts. (and is a great tune!)

Heard Ya Missed Me I don't believe even charted, but is a good album with some upbeat tunes that smack of the good ol' days with Sly & The Family. Not so much that it's a life changing album, but if there is an unreleased Quad, it would be kind of nice if it made the scene. Ya dig?

What were the hits included on Small Talk, High on You, and Heard Ya Missed Me, Well I'm Back?

These are not really commercial enough albums to consider when there are Chicago's Greatest, Gord's Gold, or Edgar Winter's platinum album.

Don't get me wrong, I love R&B and made it a point to get High on You, and even a few hitless Curtis Mayfield albums in the collection. But AF needs sure fire slam-dunks with hits and crossover appeal for this 4.0 series.

Exactly. :)

Small Talk was issued in the '70s in Quad, the others were not.

There's a Riot Goin' On is available currently on Hybrid Stereo SACD from ORG Music.
But that will be for a limited time longer as this one is in the Clearance section at Music Direct.

Sly Close Out SACD.jpg

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-108673-sly-and-the-family-stone-theres-a-riot-goin-on-hybrid-sacd.aspx ($19.99)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...tone-Theres_a_Riot_Goin_On-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Sly-The-...n-On-Hybrid-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/OMSA1079/
http://www.amazon.com/Theres-Riot-Goin-Family-Stone/dp/B00DP4I5FA

There's a Riot Goin' On is available currently on Hybrid Stereo SACD from ORG Music.
But that will be for a limited time longer as this one is in the Clearance section at Music Direct.

Interesting that Discogs lists that title as a Multichannel one.

View attachment 22413

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-108673-sly-and-the-family-stone-theres-a-riot-goin-on-hybrid-sacd.aspx ($19.99)
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/9...tone-Theres_a_Riot_Goin_On-Hybrid_Stereo_SACD
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Sly-The-...n-On-Hybrid-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/OMSA1079/
http://www.amazon.com/Theres-Riot-Goin-Family-Stone/dp/B00DP4I5FA

"High On You" was issued as an SQ LP and a Q8 afaik..

Well, Small Talk is probably the least popular of those mentioned as it only had two Top-40 Hits with "Time for Livin' " and "Loose Booty".
But some of the other songs on the album have aged well.

High On You's titular track got as high (pun!) as #3 on the charts. (and is a great tune!)

Heard Ya Missed Me I don't believe even charted, but is a good album with some upbeat tunes that smack of the good ol' days with Sly & The Family. Not so much that it's a life changing album, but if there is an unreleased Quad, it would be kind of nice if it made the scene. Ya dig?

I see the Small Talk SQ quite a lot averaging around the 15-20 mark.. I'm biding my time till I can find one in good shape for a tenner :eek:

I would not hold my breath waiting for any of those other titles other than maybe "Riot" if it really did get a quad mix. At least not from AF. I guess it's possible another company will come along and start putting out all of the quad masters by any and all of the artists of note.
It is interesting that "Fresh" did not get mixed to quad, being from 1973 and all, so odd.

There's quite a few like that... Andy Williams' Solitaire is one that oddly didn't get a Quad release yet was a v.popular album and among his very best of the 70's, right at the height of Quad and smack bang in between his numerous other Quad albums.. I'll bet there's an abandoned Quad mix of it in Sony's vaults, maybe they feared the SQ decoders couldn't cope with all the reverb in the original production or something so they shelved it..?

There's quite a few like that... Andy Williams' Solitaire is one that oddly didn't get a Quad release yet was a v.popular album and among his very best of the 70's, right at the height of Quad and smack bang in between his numerous other Quad albums.. I'll bet there's an abandoned Quad mix of it in Sony's vaults, maybe they feared the SQ decoders couldn't cope with all the reverb in the original production or something so they shelved it..?

At that very moment in time, there was a change going on in music, Andy, Perry, Vicki, etc. were fading in the rear view mirror, while Ziggy (in high healed glitter pumps), Alice, Lou, and Marc were ushering in the new way that kids were listening to music (and concerts). I can see CBS deciding to hold tight with Andy in quad release while they consider the way the winds were blowing.

Typically, the people who key in those things and do customer cervix at these places don't know a damned thing about this stuff.

I have Riot on SACD. It is 2ch.

The 45rpm set mastered from original stereo tapes is breathtaking and brings dynamics to this album previously only hinted at in other pressings. Does this SACD seem to you to do the same? Was it a revelation?

I didn't realize that there was a SACD issued along with the 2LP 45rpm edition. So there's another good one with quad potential that is out so far as AF is concerned.

At that very moment in time, there was a change going on in music, Andy, Perry, Vicki, etc. were fading in the rear view mirror, while Ziggy (in high healed glitter pumps), Alice, Lou, and Marc were ushering in the new way that kids were listening to music (and concerts). I can see CBS deciding to hold tight with Andy in quad release while they consider the way the winds were blowing.

I can see that and while I appreciate I wasn't around at the time, with respect I don't see it quite that way since there were not one but two further Andy Williams Quads after "Solitaire".. ("You Lay So Easy On My Mind" in 1975 and "Andy" in 1976) that's what I don't understand about "Solitaire" being overlooked..??

I can see that and while I appreciate I wasn't around at the time, with respect I don't see it quite that way since there were not one but two further Andy Williams Quads after "Solitaire".. ("You Lay So Easy On My Mind" in 1975 and "Andy" in 1976) that's what I don't understand about "Solitaire" being overlooked..??

Oh, I see. I wonder what kind of numbers Andy Williams was doing back then? Was he going gold in the US without any real hit singles? This is sometimes possible with artists with long time fan bases.

Oh, I see. I wonder what kind of numbers Andy Williams was doing back then? Was he going gold in the US without any real hit singles? This is sometimes possible with artists with long time fan bases.

Probably not that great, I think his career was on a bit of a downward slide at that point.. and by the end of the decade he was no longer with Columbia/CBS.. Really have to say the SQ LP his 1976 "Andy" album has lovely sound quality and is a delightful Quad mix. I accept there's no chance anyone will reissue it now so if you have the opportunity to check it out sometime, do..! :)

Back