Sony Music SQ Quad Record Releases List

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadtrade

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
This is the list we received from Sony when we started the DTS adventure. I could have consolidated it, but thought the original list is what the archive should be about for posting.
sony list.jpg
sony list 1.jpg
sony list 2.jpg
sony list 3.jpg
sony list 8.jpg
sony list.jpg
sony list 1.jpg
sony list 2.jpg
sony list 3.jpg
sony list 4.jpg
sony list 5.jpg
sony list 6.jpg
sony list 7.jpg
sony list 8.jpg
sony list 9.jpg
sony list 9.jpg
sony list 8.jpg
sony list 6.jpg

That's only half the list, ending with "M's."
Missing N-Z, including Streisand and all the Winters.

Last edited:
great list, thanks for sharing! (y)

just a lil' bit curious, as there's 2 x Isley Brothers Quads omitted from the list..

it may be indicative of nothing, since one of the omissions, "Go For Your Guns" was definitely released on SQ LP & Q8 in 1977..

its just that the other one not on the list, "Heat Is On", if it ever was indeed released on SQ and/or Q8, must've been in extremely (extreeeeeeemelyyyyyy!) limited numbers, as nobody hitherto seems to have come up with evidence of its existence as a Quad at all.. hmm.. 🤔

Johnny Nash

EQ 32158 My Merry-Go-Round

Anyone get ahold of this one?
Another Columbia Post-Hit Hitless Wonder that sold three copies.
I've never seen it.

I've got it. Would've much rather had "I can see Clearly Now". You're right though, it does follow the "Hey, let's not mix to Quad the album with all the hits on it, let's mix the next one that'll totally flop and we can blame the lack of sales on the fact that it's Quad!" way of reasoning.

i wonder what the deal is/was with Mac Davis' Quads being unavailable..!? hmm.. 🤔

Wasn't there a big Davis reissue/remaster campaign going on right around that time? Probably didn't want a third party to distract from their own output.

I've got it. Would've much rather had "I can see Clearly Now". You're right though, it does follow the "Hey, let's not mix to Quad the album with all the hits on it, let's mix the next one that'll totally flop and we can blame the lack of sales on the fact that it's Quad!" way of reasoning.

The Johnny Mathis DTS title was the last title done. I was removing myself from the dance by then. Much later than the earlier titles. I would have never chosen such smaltz. It was chosen by Brads wife, Brad was very ill at the time. It was something she enjoyed as i remember. She still had contact with Sony and must have requested the tape, i never saw it till release.

Wasn't there a big Davis reissue/remaster campaign going on right around that time? Probably didn't want a third party to distract from their own output.

Quaddies.
Miles Davis not Mac. Who would give a flying fuck about Mac Davis. And it was just the rule. There was no reason given. Forbidden 4. Cant touch PF, Babs, Miles Davis, and Dylan.

And you all are puttin too much faith in these dickheads at record companies having their shit all in order. Just because it says something in the list they sent us has no relationship to accuracy. These bumblefucks sent us tapes on HI-8 back then, and Ojays they did side one twice and forgot side 2. Patti Labelle was screwed up. Polygram got us Moodies yet most were unusable because we needed stereo tapes to try and replace a couple seconds here and there,that were overmodulated. That is why we did the 2 we did.

Last edited:
looking thru the list there's another omission (Johnny Mathis'"When Will I See You Again") and a page or two with the rest of the artists from P(o) thru Z seems to be missing?
(so, no Raiders, Redbone, REO Speedwagon, Minnie Riperton, Santana, Paul Simon, Sly Stone, Johnnie Taylor, Wild Cherry, Andy Williams, Edgar & Johnny Winter, etc)..
I hope stuff like the other Poco ("Cantamos") is safely in the vaults, its a fckin' amazing Quad mix that deserves to be heard in all its discrete master tape surround splendour asap (if not sooner!!) ;)

quadtrade posted the list in two parts, the second half is here.

oh yeah, silly me, i saw that (and liked it) back on the 18th.. a fortnights a long time in this game! thanks for the reality check, Dave.

it would appear none of the unreleased Quad mixes that have since emerged as Robin Reels etc (Big Brother & Holding Company, Edgar Winters' White Trash, Laura Nyro, etc) were offered to DTS at the time.. interesting.. 🤔 gives me hope for other interesting unreleased CBS Quads that may exist!

Back