Sony SQD-2000

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

701 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
I know the difference between the Sony SQ decoders SQD-2020 and SQD-2010, but what about the SQD-2000? The 2000 was made before the 2020 (correct?), so does it use the same ICs as the 2020? What is the main difference between the 2000 and the 2020/2010's?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I have SQD-2000, 2010 & 2020 - they are all good little units (when correctly calibrated).

The main differences are -

SQD-2000 - total discrete components mounted on 2 A4 size single-sided pcbs (mounted one above the other)

SQD-2010 - custom ICs mounted on 1 A4 single-sided pcb

SQD-2020 - total discrete components mounted on 1 A4 double-sided pcb (riveted to join tracks from one side to the other)

SQD-2010 is in my opinion the best option (provided it is setup - leave the pots alone!!) it must have also been the most expensive to design, using the custom ICs - I have yet to find any information on the ICs. This unit does not normally "pump" like the other discrete units.

I have service manuals for all 3 + about 40 other quad manuals from Sony/JVC/Technics etc

The only things I am still searching for is a copy of service manual for my Sony SQE-2000 (SQ encoder) & ST-5555 (Tuner)

Here is my setup - I also have a very understanding lady also living in the house!!!

System 1 – mix of Sony & JVC & Toshiba & Eversonic

VT-700 (Tuner)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer)
SQD-2000 (Decoder)
4VN-880 (Amp)
KD-10 (Cassette)
HR-40 (4-Channel Headphones)
Eversonic (4 off) 50W 5-way

System 2 – mix of Sony & JVC & Philips

VT-700 (Tuner)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer) - front
SQD-2010 (Decoder)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer) - rear
4VN-880 (Amp)
5911 (4-Channel Remote)
5944 (4-Channel Headphones)
733K (CD)

System 3 – Sony & Technics & Magnat

ST-5150 (Tuner)
TA-1150 (Amp) – front
SQD-2020 (Decoder)
TA-1150 (Amp) – rear
D-5A (CD)
EAH-400 (4-Channel Headphones)
Magnat-6 Speakers (4 off) 160W 3-way

System 4 – PC system, to transfer LPs to CD

PC with sound blaster Live 5.1
Sound Forge software
Sound Laundry software
SL-10 (Turntable)
Terratec Phono Pre-Amp Studio

I also have the following other pieces in my collection.

Cosrad HS 4000 4-Channel Headphones
Hafler 101A Preamp
KD-10 Cassette – used for spare parts
JVC ECA-102 4-Channel Reverb.
Marantz ST-400 Tuner (modified by myself to include AM Stereo PCB)
Pioneer QD-240 CD-4 Demodulator
Quad 405mkII Amp
Sony SQA-100 Decoder (3)
Sony SQA-200 Decoder
Sony SQA-2030 Decoder
Sony SQD-1000 Decoder (2)
Sony SQD-2020 Decoder
Sony SQD-2050 Decoder (2)
Sony SQD-2070 Decoder
Sony SQE-2000 Encoder
Sony ST-80F Tuner (3)
Sony ST-88 Tuner (2)
Sony ST-2950 Tuner
Sony ST-5555 Tuner
Sony TA-88 Amp (3)
Sony TA-1055 Amp (3)
Sony TAH-10 Headphone adapter
Technics SH-400 CD-4 Demodulator
Technics SH-3433 Scope

Plus Service manuals for most of the above.

Plus approx 500 Quad LPs & about 50 Quad cds

Sure looks like a 2020. What do you think... ealier model with just F/B logic?

$300 isn't bad for those lusting after the classic Sony decoder look with four meters.

Edit: oh I see. Good information further up from @surteess
I suspect that it is full logic but an earlier model, I don't have a copy of the manual to be sure. The switching arrangement is different. No push buttons and you can swap channels around! Are those headphone jacks on the front?

https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...eo/70s/HiFi-Stereo-Review-1972-12.pdf#page=42^^^
Any undesirable side effects that arose from the action of the logic circuits of the SQD-2000 were almost always imperceptible to the ear.

Kirk Bayne
So the phone jacks on the front are inputs!

Most equipement in late 1972 was still quite primitive. Just looking at the EVX-44 and Lafayette SQ-L both were almost state of the art at that time! The industry gave up on quad just as the equipment was starting to come into its own! Pity!

I have SQD-2000, 2010 & 2020 - they are all good little units (when correctly calibrated).

The main differences are -

SQD-2000 - total discrete components mounted on 2 A4 size single-sided pcbs (mounted one above the other)

SQD-2010 - custom ICs mounted on 1 A4 single-sided pcb

SQD-2020 - total discrete components mounted on 1 A4 double-sided pcb (riveted to join tracks from one side to the other)

SQD-2010 is in my opinion the best option (provided it is setup - leave the pots alone!!) it must have also been the most expensive to design, using the custom ICs - I have yet to find any information on the ICs. This unit does not normally "pump" like the other discrete units.

I have service manuals for all 3 + about 40 other quad manuals from Sony/JVC/Technics etc

The only things I am still searching for is a copy of service manual for my Sony SQE-2000 (SQ encoder) & ST-5555 (Tuner)

Here is my setup - I also have a very understanding lady also living in the house!!!

System 1 – mix of Sony & JVC & Toshiba & Eversonic

VT-700 (Tuner)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer)
SQD-2000 (Decoder)
4VN-880 (Amp)
KD-10 (Cassette)
HR-40 (4-Channel Headphones)
Eversonic (4 off) 50W 5-way

System 2 – mix of Sony & JVC & Philips

VT-700 (Tuner)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer) - front
SQD-2010 (Decoder)
SEA-V7E (Equalizer) - rear
4VN-880 (Amp)
5911 (4-Channel Remote)
5944 (4-Channel Headphones)
733K (CD)

System 3 – Sony & Technics & Magnat

ST-5150 (Tuner)
TA-1150 (Amp) – front
SQD-2020 (Decoder)
TA-1150 (Amp) – rear
D-5A (CD)
EAH-400 (4-Channel Headphones)
Magnat-6 Speakers (4 off) 160W 3-way

System 4 – PC system, to transfer LPs to CD

PC with sound blaster Live 5.1
Sound Forge software
Sound Laundry software
SL-10 (Turntable)
Terratec Phono Pre-Amp Studio

I also have the following other pieces in my collection.

Cosrad HS 4000 4-Channel Headphones
Hafler 101A Preamp
KD-10 Cassette – used for spare parts
JVC ECA-102 4-Channel Reverb.
Marantz ST-400 Tuner (modified by myself to include AM Stereo PCB)
Pioneer QD-240 CD-4 Demodulator
Quad 405mkII Amp
Sony SQA-100 Decoder (3)
Sony SQA-200 Decoder
Sony SQA-2030 Decoder
Sony SQD-1000 Decoder (2)
Sony SQD-2020 Decoder
Sony SQD-2050 Decoder (2)
Sony SQD-2070 Decoder
Sony SQE-2000 Encoder
Sony ST-80F Tuner (3)
Sony ST-88 Tuner (2)
Sony ST-2950 Tuner
Sony ST-5555 Tuner
Sony TA-88 Amp (3)
Sony TA-1055 Amp (3)
Sony TAH-10 Headphone adapter
Technics SH-400 CD-4 Demodulator
Technics SH-3433 Scope

Plus Service manuals for most of the above.

Plus approx 500 Quad LPs & about 50 Quad cds
Great set of Decoders s is there any other Sony decoders that you would like to get?
Ron

IIRC, in the mid-2000s, Sound & Vision mag refurbished a Sony full logic SQ decoder and tried it with several (declicked) SQ records - the reviewer noted that the higher noise level of vinyl meant that the Sony SQ decoder audibly shifted the noise around the room as it continually searched for the channel with the most encoded content to highlight.

(I'll try to find the article and scan and post it in the Media section of QQ)

edit: article scan:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-sony-sqd-2020-evaluation.32927/#post-649489

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
IIRC, in the mid-2000s, Sound & Vision mag refurbished a Sony full logic SQ decoder and tried it with several (declicked) SQ records - the reviewer noted that the higher noise level of vinyl meant that the Sony SQ decoder audibly shifted the noise around the room as it continually searched for the channel with the most encoded content to highlight.

(I'll try to find the article and scan and post it in the Media section of QQ)

edit: article scan:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...g-sony-sqd-2020-evaluation.32927/#post-649489

Kirk Bayne
The Front-Back logic made the ambience in a classical recording come and go.

I guess gain riding logic could have worked for the long term if CBS had standardized on it, then the quad mixers could have monitored thru this standard gain riding SQ decoder and minimized the audibility of logic action.

Kirk Bayne

I guess gain riding logic could have worked for the long term if CBS had standardized on it, then the quad mixers could have monitored thru this standard gain riding SQ decoder and minimized the audibility of logic action.

Kirk Bayne
Recordings were monitored via a full logic decoder. I'm not sure what you mean by standardise, that would imply that you settle for the system as is without making any future improvements?

Logic worked well but there were much better ways to do it. Tate, Paramatrix, Shadow Vector.

I can't locate the link at the moment, but, IIRC, Dolby Labs strongly recommended doing Dolby Surround mixes by listening only to the DPL decoded output, so as to configure the mix to try to hide the variable matrix logic action artifacts.

A standardized decoder (such as original Dolby Pro-Logic) makes hiding the artifacts easier.

(on a historical note, I don't recall reading that Peter Schreiber tried variable matrix decoding of his matrix system, he used gain riding only channel separation enhancement)

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
Yes Kirk but do you mean that future new releases shouldn't be monitored via an improved decoder. You mean that for surround mixing they should settle for the use of an outdated decoder and mix solely for that?

Good decoder design is relatively free of noticeable artifacts. The purpose of monitoring is to check the mix. I believe that it is also common practice to also check the stereo presentation and mono as well to ensure full compatibility.

I would have made the Sony SQD-1000 SQ decoder implementation w/front+back variable matrix [no gain riding] logic (but enhance CF separation only, no circuit for CB separation enhancement) and 10/40 blend as the baseline standard SQ decoder.

All SQ decoders would offer this baseline decoder (and mixes intended for SQ release would be monitored thru it), but other more sophisticated SQ decoding schemes could also be offered (Tate - SM etc.) as a switchable option.

AFAIK, the only improvement in the Sansui Variomatrix QS decoding system was the 3 frequency band decoder, the Variomatix functionality was always the same.

Kirk Bayne

AFAIK, the SQD-1000 doesn't use blend, separation is specified at a full 30dB left to right for both front and rear. That is part of the reason that I like it's sound. CBS would have monitored the sound using the latest decode equipment available. By the time decoding had been fully perfected the whole quad thing was dead, killed off by an impatient and greedy industry.

I guess that we can all muse about what if!

Back