Sony SQD-2020 - R-MTX function.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockaMarka88

Hi, everyone.

I have a question regarding my Sony SQD-2020 SQ decoder.

I use it for decoding my SQ LPs, but it also has an R-MTX (Regular Matrix) button. Does this function decode QS records?

Some sources say Regular Matrix and QS are interchangeable terms, while others say that RM only decodes QS at a very rudimentary level.

Can anyone clue me up on this?

Many thanks,

Mark

There are several surround systems that fall into the Regular Matrix (as opp[osed to Phase Matrix) such as QS, original Electro-Voice, Dynaquad, original Dolby matrix surround. Many SQ decoders & SQ recievers had the RM option just so they could say it decodes QS as well. I guess the short answer is that what you have will decode QS at the basic, non- Variomatrix level.

Last edited:
I don't have a 2020 but I do have a 2050 and, reading the service manual, it seems the only difference between the SQ and RM modes is phase shifters are at work in SQ mode but not in RM mode but the same decoder circuitry is used which does appear to be the case. There are two identical decoder "packages" on the board and in SQ mode, the signals are routed through some phase shift components first and then to one of the decoder packages. In RM mode, the signals go straight to the other decoder package.

Doug

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

I ordered a couple of QS records last week...

R-10746806-1503576369-3050.jpeg.jpg R-7670900-1446389689-9691.jpeg.jpg

I hit the R-MTX button on my SQ decoder, and they sounded amazing, especially the Westcoasters LP.

I was very pleasantly surprised, playing the Popular Science SQ test record through my SQD-2050, at how well it placed the tones from the record in the correct locations. Of course, I couldn't test the same for QS but I do have Carole King's "Music" LP and, in R-MTX mode, it does a good job placing the instruments as indicated on the inner sleeve.

It presents a very satisfying sound field.

Doug

Back