Sony SQD-2020

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rear panel of the SQD-2020 is marked "front preamp" "from rec out" and "to tape in." On the opposite side is "output" "to back amp" "high" and "low."

sony_sqd_2020-5.jpg

Right. Like most decoders/signal processors, the 2020 is made to be put into the tape record/playback loop and so you feed into the front preamp "from rec out" from the receiver/amplifier tape record outputs and feed back out of the 2020 "to tape in" back into the receiver/amplifier tape inputs. Then, to use the decoder, you just push the "tape monitor" button on the receiver/amplifier and the signals go through the decoder. The back outputs, of course, are then just fed to the back amplifiers and thus, to the back speakers.

The front outputs from the 2020 don't HAVE to go back into the tape inputs. They can go to any line level input. It's just more convenient to use the tape inputs since you don't have to switch inputs. My particular setup is a "little" more complex and so I am using the "AUX" inputs on my amps.

What is the difference between the high and low outputs for the back amps.?

I am mainly asking about this because it seems odd that Mr. Silverman has to have the 2020 turned all the way up. Normally with a device like this, close to center of the controls gets you where you need to be.

Doug

He is using an h/k 800+ Quad receiver, so the fronts and rears are within the same unit. High and low outputs are there for a variety of reasons. One of which is that Sony was promoting the use of this piece at the time with either a 120 W/ch matching power amp, styled identically and just as wide, or a 1/2 wide 60 W/ch power amp.

The front and back amplifiers being in the same package doesn't really matter because, once the four signals are created, they have to be fed into their respective amplifier inputs.

I guess, to me, it seems they would have had high or low outputs from the 2020 to accomodate both feeding the signals into an integrated amplifier with a preamp (using the low outputs from the 2020) or to a plain power amp without a preamp (using the high outputs from the 2020).

Doug

Hey Doug and Linda. Just saw all your replies.

So I think I do have it hooked in right. Again, I'm going INTO the 2020 through the "front preamp input" via the 800+ tape out 1 lines (leff and right channel only, obviously).

Then from the 2020, I'm using the "front preamp output" for l/r to go into the 800+ through the tape mon 1 inputs for the fronts. For the back, I'm going out of the 2020 "low level" back outputs into the back l/r tape mon 1 inuts again on the HK (just to be super clear).

To listen to a record using the 2020, I select "phono" on the H/K and press the "Tape Mon 1" button on the front panel and oilla.

I won't be at my apartment to mess around with it some more until Thursday but I think I have it set up right. I haven't experimented with the low level back outputs vs. the high level outputs that much, but the high level seemed to match the fonts more equally.

Yeah... Thanksgiving is me and a friend blasting quad and smoking questionable substances. That's what you get when you volunteer to stay in Los Angeles to house sit for your girlfriend's 2 dogs and 2 cats for 10 days rather then fly home to CHicago to be with family. Medicinal substances, quadraphonic records, and pizza hut.

(and just to throw a monkey wrench into things, any opinions on using higher quality RCA cables to make all these machnications vs. the cheap radio shack cables I dug out of my huge box of wires and such?)

I usually find cheap RCA cables are fine unless you have some sort of interferance problem.

Sounds like a party! Maybe I should fly in, lol

Yup, all connected good so if it sounds good - Party!

You mean you are going to smoke dried banana peels? :D

As Q8 said, I wouldn't worry too much about different RCA cables unless you have interference or hum or intermittancy problems. You can eventually upgrade them for reliability.

Doug

Way back when in college a suitemate had a ronco food dehydrator. He put some banana peels on there to smoke. The results? Not a damn thing, but we were probably high at the time so maybe we screwed it up.

Yup, all connected good so if it sounds good - Party!

You mean you are going to smoke dried banana peels? :D

As Q8 said, I wouldn't worry too much about different RCA cables unless you have interference or hum or intermittancy problems. You can eventually upgrade them for reliability.

Doug

Anyone have any advice on soldering those little pin dealies? One of my channels cuts out intermittently. A common problem, I know. Due to my own physical limitations (don't EVER develop cubital tunnel syndrom - it sucks big time), I need to conscript a friend to do the soldering. What's the job worth? A six pack? Bottle of cheap whiskey? Bottle of midrange whiskey?

And how hard is it to do this? Neither of us know a hell of a lot about electronics, but we can work a solder gun between the two of us.

Be sure to get the soldering gun/iron thoroughly warm. Use rosin core solder and push it against the tip of the gun/iron. Make sure the solder is thoroughly liquified, or you will create a cold soldered connection, which may result in a short. I prefer a soldering iron with a removable tip, preferably chisel shaped.

When I was younger, I soldered several times a week and reveled in it. Same for hooking up and repairing gear. Today, it all seems like a pain in the ass. I'd rather sit and enjoy the software than fiddle with the gear.

Thanks, Linda. I'll pass on to Chris, my substitute left hand. I can't grip very well in my left hand so things like soldering is really hard. Talking to a surgeon in a few weeks. It's time to give up on the alternate therapies and look at the knife.

Be sure to locate all of the pins...about 50 or so, they are all over the board, and look like a drop of solder on the board with MAYBE the pin's end just visible in the center. Some are kind of 'hidden' between or even under some other components. Just TOUCH the solder iron to the existing solder and add a SMALL amount of new solder. DO NOT TOUCH ANY OTHER COMPONENTS. Remove the gun AS SOON AS YOU CAN SEE THAT ALL THE SOLDER HAS BEEN LIQUIFIED. Make sure that IF the pin is visible, that there is solder OVER the top of the pin.

Took me much less than an hour to do it. I use a basic hobbyist type solder station with a small, pointy tip.

Here's an electronics question for everyone--

When using SQD-2020, I have to turn the volume up higher on my H/K receiver than normal. I could up the gain on each speaker on the SQD, but then the needles go into the red all the time. And yes, I have the volume knob on the back of the SQD all the way up.

So to really blast music when using the decoder, I have to have the volume dial on the HK higher than I'd ever use without the decoder. The question is.... do I risk frying some internally in the H/K? I don't think the H/K dial would ever go past the 12 o clock position - without the decoder on, that position would be really, really loud.

That does sound very very risky. Not only are you cranking the wattage way high for a long period of time (which is generally not advised), but if something goes slightly wrong (like an RCA cable becomig disconected, or something becoming un-grounded, anything that would cause feedback or hum or a short) would be ten fold more likely to damage the receiver.

I would also add that the H/K knob when using the decoder is usually about 2 positions higher on the "clock" than without. If I up the gain on each channel on the SQD, then the needle hits the red quite a bit. I wonder which is worse -- the needle in the red or the higher volume on the H/K.

Needle in the red is not necissarily bad onless it is completely topping out all the time. This may damage the meter (but usually nothing else). Just in the red: okay Topping out: not okay. How far up do you have to turn up the channel levels on the 2020 for it to sound normal at 12 o clock on the HK? I would go with that if it is not causing the meters to constantly completely top out. If you have anything else with VU meters, compare it. I find that its normal for VU meters to go into the red. It's when they are staying in the red is when you have a problem.

Something else I don't know if you thought of: Turn the treble and bass knobs up an equal distance. Maybe 1-3 o-clock? The original owner of my 2020 put pen marks on the face on both those knobs at about 2 o-clock.

To match the volumes between the SQD and the HK, the dials have to be just past 12 o'clock on the SQD. In moderatley loud passages, the needle is mostly in the red and topping out fairly frequently - playing Handel's Messiah in fake quad right now and monkeying with the do-dads.

Hmm, constantly topping out not good. Try the bass treble knobs up higher (are they at least at 12 o-clock currently?), and the balance knobs lower. This may get it. Also if all that doesn't acheive something acceptable, maybe try turning down the gain on the back, then turning up the knobs on the front.

And what about the master volume on the front of the 2020? Where is that? The knobs that will controll your level are the gain on the back, the 4 level knobs on the front, the master volume on the front, and the bass and treble knobs on the front. I would think some combination of these would achieve sensible volume. Also you may change the high low switch, then play with everything again, maybe you need to be on the high end of low setting instead of the high end of high.

Back