Sony TC-277-4, help

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can tell you that we sometimes have problems rated in the number of beers it takes to solve it! This may be a two or three beer problem ;-).

Here [pointing to the top of the beer bottle] are just some minor ideas. There [pointing to the bottom of the bottle] are laying the good solutions!

PROST! <burp!>

-Kristian

Does anyone have an extra Sony 7" metal take-up reel laying around? Like the Sony R-7mb ?

R7MB.jpg

Last edited:
Is there a common Sony branded metal reel?

The R-7MB just looks so cool, and looks like it makes threading the tape a lot faster and easier than most.

TC-399, with both reels as R7-mb:
sony_tc-399.jpg

TC-630, NOT the model I recalled. Yet, I too lusted over this one before Quad. My Grandparents had an upstairs flat. They invited their tenant to a party they were having, and he brought this deck down with him:
Sony_TC_630.jpg
eb3c2c2480b4e6c8.jpg

The deck we had on display, TC-640, with those sexy reels, just as we displayed it:
1c16_1_big.jpg
A LOVELY photo from www.vatera.hu

I had a TC-399 for awhile. They look better than they sound. And, there's no internal adjustments so you can't change anything.

Hey guess what! I was digging through those reels that came with the deck and I found a beautiful copy of

Akai Surround Stereo 4 Track 4 Channel Demonstration Tape ATD-74

I found a picture of one of these tapes online. It's not mine, mine is in a lot better shape than this one, it's like new. ;D But it seems this may be a rare beast

AKAI REEL.JPG

:banana:

They are not so rare. There is usually at least one on eBay at any given time. There's 3 on eBay now. Search "Akai Demo". There are 2 versions of the ATD-74. The early version doesn't have the red "Quad" symbol on the box with 4 songs: "Windmills Of Your Mind", "Speak Softly Love", "Love Story" and "The Big Country." The later more common version with the red symbol has songs: "Shall We Dance", "Let It Be", "The Mill In The Forest" and "Over The Rainbow." All of the songs are orchestral covers; AKA "elevator music."

I hope they at least mixed the quad in an interesting way. It's my only Q4 tape at the moment.

To get back on topic. I called that one repair shop. Got a receptionist not a tech. Got the typical unsatisfying answers. Bring it in, pay a $45 deposit to have it checked out and the tech will give you an estimate. Turnaround time is typically 15 to 21 business days. I may bite the bullet and take it in but I am still exploring options.

Oh yeah, it is a very good example of discrete quad. And the recording is high quality as well. Virtually no tape noise. Who needs Dolby-B?

Dolby-B was a dumb idea for the reel to reel format in the first place. Could be one reason it died out.

Well, I dropped this off at the shop yesterday. We'll see what happens...

When I dropped it off the tech was out sick so I didn't get an estimate. Still have not been called with an estimate as I told I would be. I will have to call the place tomorrow. I'm sure there are great electronics places out there, but it always seems when ever I deal with one I get the runaround.

One problem with every repair shop I worked at was the balance of manpower vs. work. If it is well-manned for busy times, there will be too many techs paid for nothing in slow times. So they under-staff, promise a three day estimate to be competitive , then get more work than expected and run behind. It's a fine line to walk. I could go on for hours about this stuff. I once had someone approve an estimate "but only if it is done this week". So I didn't look at any new stuff for a day and a half , got his TV done (it was a tough one, multiple problems), called the next day and he refused to pick it up saying "it can't be worth what you're charging if that's all the time it took".

So I guess I'm suggesting to hope for the best, they don't get paid and need to find a new job if they don't actually do the repairs, so it is in their best interest to actually do their jobs. It just might not seem like it on the outside.

So I guess I'm suggesting to hope for the best, they don't get paid and need to find a new job if they don't actually do the repairs, so it is in their best interest to actually do their jobs. It just might not seem like it on the outside.

Well, the only thing I would say to that is that they have my $45 no matter what now. Theoretically one may be able to stay in business charging everyone the $45 deposit and selling abandoned equipment on ebay. They have a giant ebay logo in the window, lol. I'm not trying to be overly negative and I certainly hope it all turns out well. I also am not going to be one of those pushy customers that calls and asks if its done yet every day. I work in the customer service industry so I know how annoying that is.

Well, the only thing I would say to that is that they have my $45 no matter what now. Theoretically one may be able to stay in business charging everyone the $45 deposit and selling abandoned equipment on ebay. They have a giant ebay logo in the window, lol. I'm not trying to be overly negative and I certainly hope it all turns out well. I also am not going to be one of those pushy customers that calls and asks if its done yet every day. I work in the customer service industry so I know how annoying that is.

Well there are bad actors everywhere, I hope that's not the case here. Keep the deck if they can't handle it!

I talked to the tach yesterday. He sounded pretty competant. The only thing that worried me,, is when we talked about how those parts will need the grease stripped off he was like. "Heah, that's the part that could get expensive depending how it looks, it may cost 200"

I guess what he meant was that it could be time consuming. That would suck.

Are you sure it's grease and not disintegrated rubber? Once he cleans it all up it may run at the wrong speed if it runs at all. So be sure to test it before paying. Maybe you will end up letting him keep it.

Back