Sony UBP - X800M2 4.0 SACD issues

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fthesoundguy

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a Sony UBP-X800M2 to be able to play SACD’s and DVD-A’s. While everything is working greatly on the DVD-A side of things, I’m having problems getting the multichannel layer on a SACD to play properly.

I’m trying to play my Santana quad albums and only the fronts will play no matter what I do in the options. When I go back and forth from 2 Ch and Multi, you can definitely tell that it is playing the multichannel version, so I don’t really know what’s going on. It is converting from DSD to PCM, which might be an issue,but I cannot get it to play DSD over HDMI. I was reading up on this issue and there’s some people who couldn’t play the WYWH Quad mix. I popped that in but it plays perfectly, so I really don’t know why the SACDs are coming up with issues. I don’t have a 5.1 SACD to see if its a 4.0 problem or if it’s just an SACD one.

My receiver is an Yamaha RX-V2600, which has DSD capabilities, but I cannot get it to play that properly.

Is there at hope for me or an I SOL and I have to now find a way to rip this damn thing? The stereo layer sounds really nice, but I want to hear that quad mix…

Thanks!

I ran into the same problem with the 700 series, but haven’t had the same problem with the 800. I think the music settings should be.

37A83BA2-DED1-41A6-ACB3-3AB23E1E5AAE.jpeg

I ran into the same problem with the 700 series, but haven’t had the same problem with the 800. I think the music settings should be.

View attachment 60032
That is definitely what mine looks like. I guess it might just be my receiver that is being weird? I got it second hand without a remote, so I can't really go heavily into the options. It's weird that you had this issue with a different series though...

And does anyone have issues with their x800 playing 5.1 flac files? Says it's corrupted or not the right kind. Why does my 10 year old blu-ray player play them just fine and this is having issues? I might bring this thing back honestly.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help. It was a while ago that I fixed the problem on the 700. All I really remember is the solution was counterintuitive. A setting you would think should be yes was no and I had SACD surround.

The 800 has worked fine with FLAC for me other than gapless playback. It’s the only player I halve used for backed up discs.

Sorry I couldn’t be more help. It was a while ago that I fixed the problem on the 700. All I really remember is the solution was counterintuitive. A setting you would think should be yes was no and I had SACD surround.

The 800 has worked fine with FLAC for me other than gapless playback. It’s the only player I halve used for backed up discs.
No problem, thanks for trying to help out! Kind of looks like I have a dud on my hands, so back to the store it goes.

I figured out the FLAC issue, it lists the "hidden" files before the actual audio ones. Which is still really dumb and i'm wondering why my 10 year old player doesn't list them but this one does... Still stumped on the SACD issue but I should have a remote coming before the end of the year. Hopefully there's something stupid marked in my menu...

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a Sony UBP-X800M2 to be able to play SACD’s and DVD-A’s. While everything is working greatly on the DVD-A side of things, I’m having problems getting the multichannel layer on a SACD to play properly.

I’m trying to play my Santana quad albums and only the fronts will play no matter what I do in the options. When I go back and forth from 2 Ch and Multi, you can definitely tell that it is playing the multichannel version, so I don’t really know what’s going on. It is converting from DSD to PCM, which might be an issue,but I cannot get it to play DSD over HDMI. I was reading up on this issue and there’s some people who couldn’t play the WYWH Quad mix. I popped that in but it plays perfectly, so I really don’t know why the SACDs are coming up with issues. I don’t have a 5.1 SACD to see if its a 4.0 problem or if it’s just an SACD one.

My receiver is an Yamaha RX-V2600, which has DSD capabilities, but I cannot get it to play that properly.

Is there at hope for me or an I SOL and I have to now find a way to rip this damn thing? The stereo layer sounds really nice, but I want to hear that quad mix…

Thanks!
This sounds like it could be related to a known issue with recent AVRs. See this thread: Receivers that decode 4.0 PCM/MLP recordings over HDMI

I don't have any 4.0 SACDs, but I can't play 4.0 Blu-rays or FLACs with my X800m2 due to this bug in my Pioneer AVR, such as "Wish You Were Here." My fix is to rip the tracks and add a phantom center, but that is a trickier proposition for SACDs.

My 5.1 SACDs, DSD files, and FLACs play fine with my X800m2.

This sounds like it could be related to a known issue with recent AVRs. See this thread: Receivers that decode 4.0 PCM/MLP recordings over HDMI

I don't have any 4.0 SACDs, but I can't play 4.0 Blu-rays or FLACs with my X800m2 due to this bug in my Pioneer AVR, such as "Wish You Were Here." My fix is to rip the tracks and add a phantom center, but that is a trickier proposition for SACDs.

The Santana is actually 5.0 for this reason specifically. There is not information in the center speaker but it was authored this way for receivers that can’t decode 4.0

I looked into that thread and tried my PF quad mixes and my WYWH and DSOM quad BD-A's work perfectly with my 15 year old receiver. All the Quadio mixes work great as well. Just SACDs which are giving me some issues...

The Santana is actually 5.0 for this reason specifically. There is not information in the center speaker but it was authored this way for receivers that can’t decode 4.0
Ugh. Well hopefully there is something in my receiver that is locking it into stereo for some reason. My remote will be here within a week. I went and ordered Brothers In Arms and that will be here tomorrow, but that more than likely wont work since I assumed the Santana ones were authored 4.0.

I've got the same player but REGION FREE so it plays EVERYTHING and never have had any issues whatsoever. I just LOVE IT!! Even though I don't have an OPPO to compare it to....it ROCKS!!! :love: :love: :love:

Fthesoundguy- I have thought on this...

Were you EVER able to play SACD Multi's through the 2600...even with your old player?

My reason for asking- is because I didn't believe the RX-V2600 has the capability to do SACD-Multi over HDMI due to the HDMI version the receiver had. I thought the 2600 receiver is either HDMI 1.1 or 1.2. DVD-A capability(stereo and Multi) were able to be played back in HDMI 1.2. I understand that SACD Stereo could also be played back over HDMI 1.2. However- SACD Multi I don't believe was able to be played back through HDMI until ver 1.3. SACD Multi's could only be played back using the 5.1 Analog inputs(RCA's).

I went through this specifically when I wanted to upgrade receivers a few years ago. I thought the 1st Yamaha receivers to have HDMI 1.3 was either the RX-V3000, the 3800 and the 3900. I actually bought an RX-A1030.

You might want to research that to verify.
I just did a search on HDMI version and found this. Understanding the Different HDMI Versions (1.0 to 2.0)
The way they wrote this- it seems if you convert sacd to PCM, that HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 can handle it. If you want native DSD multi over HDMI, you need 1.2a.

Good Luck-
Chris

Hey Everyone,

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have an X800. I only paid around $150 CDA for it a few years ago and I am happy with the way that it plays 4K movies in M2TS format from a hard drive and 4K discs. That's what I use it for. No music. It seems to have an issue once you create more than one partition on the hard drive. It only sees and plays the first partition. As far as music and regular Blu-Ray goes, the Oppo 103 is in a whole different universe of flexibility when compared to the X800.

I got it to play Multichannel SACDs! It happened by a fluke and tried something I have not done before. I started playback of the SACD on my X800 and then booted up my receiver and it locked the SACD into 5.1 (the last disc I played last night was a 5.1 BD). When I have booted up an SACD, it shows on my receiver that full multichannel is available. However, when I have started to play the disc, it resets or does something and then shows just stereo. If I turn off my 2600 at the start (after the receiver recognizes multichannel), play my SACD and then boot the 2600 back up, it locks into 5.1 (or 5.0 in this case) and I can listen to the album! If I go back to the home screen or insert a different SACD, I have to start this process all over. There must be something glitchy happening in my 2600 or it's just too old to be doing SACD over HDMI. I can create a small video if anyone would want to see it. This will probably kill the relay switch a hell of a lot more quickly, but oh well. That's probably an easy repair.

@reidc Thank you for bringing the different HDMI versions to my attention! I had not realized how different it was back in the mid 2000s. The RX-V2600 is version 1.1, so it cannot do DSD over HDMI. It can however do PCM if the DSD is converted. It was only after doing a couple hours of looking around that I went to make sure my audio settings were correct (I had the DSD setting at auto and I turned it off, when it booted up correctly I thought that was the answer!) and started playing the SACD before turning on my 2600. Never would have tried that if it wasn't for you. And to answer your first question, this is my first SACD capable player. I only had a Sony BDP-S3200 before which can't play them.

And if anyone is curious, DVD-A came into the realm at HDMI 1.1, which is why I have not had problems with that.

Fthesoundguy- I have thought on this...

Were you EVER able to play SACD Multi's through the 2600...even with your old player?

My reason for asking- is because I didn't believe the RX-V2600 has the capability to do SACD-Multi over HDMI due to the HDMI version the receiver had. I thought the 2600 receiver is either HDMI 1.1 or 1.2.
The way they wrote this- it seems if you convert sacd to PCM, that HDMI 1.1 or 1.2 can handle it. If you want native DSD multi over HDMI, you need 1.2a.

Good Luck-
Chris
I have a RX-V2600 (currently mothballed since getting the Marantz SR 8012). It does not do DSD over HDMI. I used my oppo to convert DSD to PCM and send that signal to the amp.

I have a RX-V2600 (currently mothballed since getting the Marantz SR 8012). It does not do DSD over HDMI. I used my oppo to convert DSD to PCM and send that signal to the amp.
Did you ever have to do the workaround that I posted about above? Maybe the Oppo and X800 behave a little differently and you didn't have to do that.

Side note: Do you like your SR 8012? I've been looking at those for a bit (wont have the money for a purchase like that for awhile though...)

Did you ever have to do the workaround that I posted about above? Maybe the Oppo and X800 behave a little differently and you didn't have to do that.

Side note: Do you like your SR 8012? I've been looking at those for a bit (wont have the money for a purchase like that for awhile though...)
I had no problems with any SACDs, but the quad ones may have been encoded in 5 channels.

I love the SR 8012. Well worth the purchase (plus I got a great deal at the time). The RX-V2600 sounds great, but the SR 8012 is even better - plus it has lots of features.

My only complaint about the RX-V2600 was that HDMI was limited to 5.1 channels - for 7.1 I had to use multi-channel in....and then I bought the Surround Master....

Back