Sony X800 / Possibly Others - Do they handle Quad FLAC Correctly?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It didn't work straight away with DSD over network, I'm not sure if that was down to J River or Sony? The trick is to get the AVR to see .dsf files as .dsd files and then it should play over the network... Sony aren't renowned for their software side so I kind of put it down to them but who knows?

I'm not holding out for them to ever issue a fix for gapless, as good as that would be... With the 4.0 files at least there is a way we can do it ourselves...

Sony's track record of "fixing issues" or adding features via a firmware update is a poor one...when they actually want to add features or provide a fix they usually just do it in the next model...

Sony's track record of "fixing issues" or adding features via a firmware update is a poor one...when they actually want to add features or provide a fix they usually just do it in the next model...

Maybe we should collect signatures from users in this forum for them to consider updating the firmware to support this?

Last edited:
That is so weird. You would think Sony would have had to do something for it NOT to play DVD-R's.
Slight Correction. It does not play my DVD-Audio DVD-R's. Seems OK with DVD-Video. How weird is that?

Could someone tell me the problem I having with playing my burnt DVD-A's (using DVD-Rs) on the Sony UBP X800 is unique to me or is it a general problem with this machine. I convert all my quad records and tapes to DVD-R so it's a big thing - though I have a number of other players that do not have any issues at all.

The UBP-X800 does not play burnt DVD-Audio. It does not play burnt SACD either. It's a feature, unfortunately. A sort of copy protection for hi-res audio. But you can rip your discs as multichannel FLAC or DFF files, put the files on an USB drive and it will play them!

The UBP-X800 does not play burnt DVD-Audio. It does not play burnt SACD either. It's a feature, unfortunately. A sort of copy protection for hi-res audio. But you can rip your discs as multichannel FLAC or DFF files, put the files on an USB drive and it will play them!
Crazy - You would not call my converted records and tapes copies - nor audio I create myself and convert to DVD-A. Certainly a big minus to Sony for that one. Except for that it is a great player in all other ways,

After having my 1000ES player not working- HDMI port only let's sound come out for 6 seconds, then cuts out for 1 second. It plays audio out of the optical port fine, but this destroys my faith in Sony products. Sony support (Indian/Mahavishnu) was worthless after an hour on the phone. The trouble with the x800 is not having the analog outputs for the Surround Master.

Is DVD-Audio even a format worth “protecting” these days? It barely exists!

Is DVD-Audio even a format worth “protecting” these days? It barely exists!

I guess it's in the specifications. It checks for the watermark on archived DVD-As, doesn't get it and thus locks you out. Most of my archived titles DVD-V-Portion (which contain the DTS or DD stream) work flawlessly though.

Could someone tell me the problem I having with playing my burnt DVD-A's (using DVD-Rs) on the Sony UBP X800 is unique to me or is it a general problem with this machine. I convert all my quad records and tapes to DVD-R so it's a big thing - though I have a number of other players that do not have any issues at all.

I have two X800's. You could do what I did and rip all of your DVD-A's to FLAC with DVD Audio Extractor (free for 30 days) and load the rips to an external hard drive for playback. It's a good way to archive your music as well. Playback is a snap. I did separate folders for Stereo and M/C files. Naming does require a fair bit of typing, but it is worth it.

Last edited:
I'm almost pulling the trigger on the new Sony UBP-X800M2. I'm looking for a simple and valid solution for my parent's house. They currently have an old and nice Technics CD player, as well as an LG BR player, which doesn't handle SACDs and DVD-Audios (no multichannel). I think this Sony would do the job, even though 4.0 FLAC files will need conversion to 5.0 or 5.1 before being played. That's fine.

My questions are:
1. Can I find anything better than this, even at a higher price point? For myself, I have a Cambridge Audio Azur and it plays everything and have never had a problem with it. I don't know why Cambridge Audio doesn't do BR players anymore...
2. Is this Sony able to rip SACDs? I only have this list as a reference, but I'm sure it's outdated: https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/#post-69000

Thanks

I'm almost pulling the trigger on the new Sony UBP-X800M2. I'm looking for a simple and valid solution for my parent's house. They currently have an old and nice Technics CD player, as well as an LG BR player, which doesn't handle SACDs and DVD-Audios (no multichannel). I think this Sony would do the job, even though 4.0 FLAC files will need conversion to 5.0 or 5.1 before being played. That's fine.

My questions are:
1. Can I find anything better than this, even at a higher price point? For myself, I have a Cambridge Audio Azur and it plays everything and have never had a problem with it. I don't know why Cambridge Audio doesn't do BR players anymore...
2. Is this Sony able to rip SACDs? I only have this list as a reference, but I'm sure it's outdated: https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/#post-69000

Thanks
Sony makes the UBP-1100 as well, or should soon if it's not out already. But the main difference is an upgraded analog (stereo) out.

Sony makes the UBP-1100 as well, or should soon if it's not out already. But the main difference is an upgraded analog (stereo) out.
I've seen a couple of reviews online. Built quality doesn't seem great, it looks identical to the X800. It's a pity that Sony doesn't care about a premium design at this price point. But, well, as long as the sound is good I'm in!

My questions are:

1. I believe the Cambridge Players were based on re-badged Oppo models. With Oppo gone, perhaps they haven't found a suitable replacement.
2. To my knowledge, the players included on that list were the only ones to use the specific chip that provided the security gap that allowed SACD ripping. That chip is no longer in production and is no longer used.

I'm almost pulling the trigger on the new Sony UBP-X800M2.

[snip]

Is this Sony able to rip SACDs? I only have this list as a reference, but I'm sure it's outdated: https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/rip-sacd-with-a-blu-ray-player.3652/#post-69000

Worth perusing @beerking 's thread, too.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-blu-ray-players-used-for-sacd-ripping.26078/
I believe his latest update of the list is in this post from September. Pretty sure newer Sonys--including all versions of the X800--are not included.

Back