DVD/DTS Poll Soord, Bruce - ALL THIS WILL BE YOURS [DTS DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DTS DVD of Bruce Soord - ALL THIS WILL BE YOURS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2019 release from Pineapple Thief member Bruce Soord entitled "All This Will Be Yours".
The DVD contains the album, acoustic album, and bonus tracks all in 5.1 surround.
88.2-khz/24-bit lossless 5.1 FLAC files can be purchased at Immersive Audio Album.

KSCOPE555-MOCK-UP.jpg

Not a huge PT fan, but I like this work by Soord. Sound is good, content is I have no idea but it all flows well. I don't think I paid any attention at all to the lyrics until a dozen listens. I give it the max because for whatever reasons it speaks to me.

I can't believe this release hasn't gotten any action here. For anyone who looks down on DTS, give this a listen to see how good this can sound. Bruce Soord obviously knows his way around a recording studio. I don't know if it's the types of mics he uses or the mic placement or whatever, but this record just has such a natural sound to it. From the sound of the pick on the guitar strings to the drum sound, there is no perceivable evidence of any electronic enhancement to the audio (at least to my non-professional ears). It sounds like you're listening to an unamplified drummer in your listening room. And the content here is very good. I'm a casual fan of the Pineapple Thief, but I think this solo release surpasses any of their stuff. I gave a listen to my Dissolution Blu-ray for comparison, and I think this one has better material. Of course there's no Gavin Harrison on this, but Soord does an admirable job of playing everything here. And based on this surround mix, I'd have to say Bruce Soord is starting to sniff that rarified space occupied by Scheiner, Wilson, Clearmountain, etc. I'll have to revisit some of his other mixes to see if I've been missing something or if this is a bit of an outlier. But he nailed it on this one. I'm giving this a very high 9, only because theoretically it could be better if it was lossless. But to my ears, not by much.

I can't believe this release hasn't gotten any action here. For anyone who looks down on DTS, give this a listen to see how good this can sound. Bruce Soord obviously knows his way around a recording studio. I don't know if it's the types of mics he uses or the mic placement or whatever, but this record just has such a natural sound to it. From the sound of the pick on the guitar strings to the drum sound, there is no perceivable evidence of any electronic enhancement to the audio (at least to my non-professional ears). It sounds like you're listening to an unamplified drummer in your listening room. And the content here is very good. I'm a casual fan of the Pineapple Thief, but I think this solo release surpasses any of their stuff. I gave a listen to my Dissolution Blu-ray for comparison, and I think this one has better material. Of course there's no Gavin Harrison on this, but Soord does an admirable job of playing everything here. And based on this surround mix, I'd have to say Bruce Soord is starting to sniff that rarified space occupied by Scheiner, Wilson, Clearmountain, etc. I'll have to revisit some of his other mixes to see if I've been missing something or if this is a bit of an outlier. But he nailed it on this one. I'm giving this a very high 9, only because theoretically it could be better if it was lossless. But to my ears, not by much.
For me, IIRC, it was the price, let's say perceived value, as compared to some of The Pineapple Thief offerings. I'd definitely have gone for a reasonably priced blu-ray. The expense of the set to get DTS just didn't allure me.

For me, IIRC, it was the price, let's say perceived value, as compared to some of The Pineapple Thief offerings. I'd definitely have gone for a reasonably priced blu-ray. The expense of the set to get DTS just didn't allure me.

I felt the same as you for a long time, but I've been really loving this album in stereo, so I decided to purchase the deluxe set recently. I still haven't received it though. Even though it is expensive, I feel good about supporting Bruce's efforts. The fidelity is really good in stereo, so I am sure it will sound even better in surround despite being DTS (hey, at least it isn't DD).

knifeman, thanks for the review. I am really looking forward to receiving it now!

Exactly. I got the surround mix for the first Soord solo album as a free download after ordering the CD. I liked it, but not enough to splurge $40 on a box I don't want. I'm still waiting for the stand alone bluray. The fact that it is DTS doesn't bother me that much.

This is a beautiful and deeply personal cd from a artist who will hopefully carry surround music forward into the future
This mix is well done and uses the surround efficiently and is discrete. I just let this surround wash over me with it hauntingly personal lyrics and simple but lush sound. To me this is one of the better surrounds I've heard in quite awhile. I was not much of a fan but All this will be yours definitely turned me into one

I have to tell you what you wrote mirrors my feelings exactly this is an amazing surround recording and am baffled as well that people are missing out on something very special. Again thanks

I voted a “9”. Yeah, it's a bit disappointing to have this surround disc confined to a moderately-expensive bookset while the Pineapple Thief albums are on single Blu-Rays for under $20--but $40 still feels pretty fair for both the main album and ‘acoustic reworkings’ in 5.1 & 96/24 stereo. Throwing in the self-titled album’s 5.1 mix would’ve made it an even better value though.

This album does not rock hard. It’s a collection of somber, ominous, mostly-acoustic songs in the vein of Pineapple Thief tracks like “No Man’s Land”, “Not Naming Any Names”, or “Stop Making Sense”. It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but I really enjoy this style. As has been stated before, the lyrics are very personal and often quite moving. My favorite tracks include “The Solitary Path Of A Convicted Man”, “All This Will Be Yours”, and “One Misstep”.

From a panning standpoint, this is an excellent 5.1 mix. Bruce Soord really ‘gets’ surround music--the effect of being stuck between his trademark high/low vocal harmonies is absolutely mesmerizing. Most songs have acoustic guitars, backing vocals, and some percussive elements isolated in the rear channels. The drum kit is effectively spread over the entire surround field with the toms and/or cymbals frequently popping up in the rears, most notably in “One Misstep”. Towards the end of the title track, there’s a particularly cool '70s quad-esque soundstage with the rhythm section upfront, lead guitar in the left rear speaker, and hi-hat in the right rear speaker.

Sonically, this sounds great--the clarity of the acoustic guitars and vocals is startling at times--but it seems to be mastered a bit louder than the Pineapple Thief 5.1’s, and it’s too aggressive on the low-end for my tastes. On my 5.0 system, both the ‘full-range’ and ‘bass-managed’ 5.1 options for the main album sound slightly muddy. The kick drum in “Solitary Path” immediately comes off as overpowering and has me reaching for the tone controls.

On the other hand, the ‘full-range’ 5.1 option for the ‘acoustic reworkings’ sounds just about perfect to me. These may end up being my preferred way to experience the album going forward: they're even more poignant, haunting, and intimate. Special shoutout to the acoustic rendition of "Solitary Path"--I love those additional backing vocals not present in the main album version.

I'm still keeping this in rotation, and I can echo many of the sentiments sjcorne has elucidated. Really haunting, in a way, but each track segues into the next (and my psyche!) quite well.
Bravo again to Soord for his minimalist/uncluttered expression of care for his craft. Well done.

Wow and what a beauty this is! Versions of the truth ( Pineapple Thief) made me buy this second solo album by Bruce Soord (Earbook) with 5.1 dvd from Burning Shed. Magic and great value!! I havent figured out the main differences yet between the two 5.1 mixes. Both work well on my system. This is so relaxing and well mixed. Bruce is an incredible studio craftsman!!

Back