DTS-CD Sound cards?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaper has been just happiness and light since upgrading from Protools HD for me. (Circa 2008 for that.) Everything from recording/mixing/mastering to live sound.

Those Behringer/Midas interfaces are class compliant (no driver install).

Out of interest...

What are you intending to record? What has this got to do with DTS-CD's?
I was really just curious if there is any way of making the dts-cd's from old quad recordings any more. I don't imagine myself doing it, but was wondering if it's still possible at this point. I collected a lot of those quad to dts cd's back in the day but there are very few I ever play any more since so much of it has been released in far better quality. Just thinking about whether people could still do it with today's technology.

K

I was really just curious if there is any way of making the dts-cd's from old quad recordings any more. I don't imagine myself doing it, but was wondering if it's still possible at this point.
Yep, it's still possible. But given multi-channel playback technology has moved on quite a lot since 1997 (ie: DTS-CD's launch), after capturing your multi-channel 'lossless' PCM audio streams, it's now possible to author them onto Blu-ray discs. My personal preference would be to create 'audio only' HFPA Blu-ray Audio style discs...

Yep, it's still possible. But given multi-channel playback technology has moved on quite a lot since 1997 (ie: DTS-CD's launch), after capturing your multi-channel 'lossless' PCM audio streams, it's now possible to author them onto Blu-ray discs. My personal preference would be to create 'audio only' HFPA Blu-ray Audio style discs...
Certainly agree with what you said above. I also recognize that most discussion on QQ centers around audio only which Blu-ray audio or MCH FLAC files are just fine. But if you are talking audio + video, DTS is still a good choice.

I have about 2 dozen upmix projects from Laserdisc, & DVD, This is a different cow than just DVD-A with a bit of video. All my sources, even LD, start out as digital un-compressed. After demuxing and stereo to surround up mixing on my PC I use DTS at the full bit rate of 1536kbit/s which is very neutral & transparent to my ears. In DVDLab Pro I put the DTS audio in the main soundtrack, the original stereo in a secondary soundtrack, & output DVD compliant MPEG 2. FLAC does not merge or multiplex well in anything I've tried for video but DTS is very video friendly. I know someone is going to say Make MKV or something will do the trick but I enjoy also making full featured menus & something that meets real standards that can be played on every day equipment.

I haven't done a project like this in several years as I accomplished most all of the titles I wanted. To do another one I would probably use DTS again. But like others my DTS Master Encoding Suite is kaput so I would be back to using good 'ol Surcode.

Back