Sound Format

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surroundophile

Surroundophile
Since 2002/2003
I've never seen this discussed anywhere:

During the DVD era, very few DVDs had a DTS track. This was because DVD was created with DD as the standard, with DTS added later as an afterthought.
But now that we're into the BluRay era, very few BluRays have Dolby TruHD, most being DTS HD Master.
Anybody know why?

That's a good question - I too have wondered what made DTS HD 'take off' on Blu-ray when it's no different sonically than Dolby True HD - plus, DTS HD has a number of drawbacks when compared to True HD in terms of compatible 2-channel surround-encoded downmixing, user adjustable compression, etc... I hate it when DTS HD Blu-ray's are authored in such a way that no compression can be applied for late night listening.

And I'd like to know if any Blu-ray's are taking advantage of True HD's ability to encode their 2-channel downmix into Pro-Logic II. And can DTS HD do the same - or would they downmix to Neural or Neo:6? Apparently, the HD-DVD format could create a Pro-Logic II downmix from Dolby Digital Plus or True HD tracks, but according to Roger Dressler, no players incorporated such a downmixing ability - it was a standard mono-surround downmix only.

Back