Sound quality differences between streaming 5.1 and/or ATMOS and the physical Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I would say any lossless format trumps a lossy one. Considering the Apple Dolby bitrates leave only 128kbps per channel, I would say a lot of people aside from me and my young ears could be able to tell the difference. Again, there's also availability concerns, and mix concerns too, as it seems there's much less effort being put towards the Atmos mixes on streaming. If you really want digital surround, purchase from IAA. If you want physical (SACD, Blu-ray), go for it!

I am convinced streaming Atmos and 5.1 is a ploy by companies to destroy the audiophile market and prevent anyone from ever owning a good copy of music ever again.

I compared Fleetwood Mac's Rumours with:
1. The good old first vinyl pressing...
2. The first EU CD pressing...
3. The Anniversary Remaster CD
4. The DVD audio version..
5. The SACD version...
6. The Dolby Atmos version...
Conclusion: They all sound different.
I don't know what Mick Fleetwood would like the most... I think there bank account....

I compared Fleetwood Mac's Rumours with:
1. The good old first vinyl pressing...
2. The first EU CD pressing...
3. The Anniversary Remaster CD
4. The DVD audio version..
5. The SACD version...
6. The Dolby Atmos version...
Conclusion: They all sound different.
I don't know what Mick Fleetwood would like the most... I think there bank account....
Of course, they'll sound different. Other than the stereo & 5.1 mixes on 4 & 5, they're different masterings and/or different mixes and/or different formats/resolutions.

It's like mp3 vs wav files. Very difficult to describe and not everyone can tell the difference. Sometimes people say "night and day" when they mean they can hear a slight change. Certainly it's different based on the fidelity of the recording and mastering. I personally hear compression most in cymbals.
I think Tidal sounds pretty good, but the BD is superior for dynamics.
If you can hear a difference in mp3 vs wav, you will notice a difference in streaming vs disc.
I personally feel that streaming is more compressed to my ears and recognizable right away. For eg: I listened to the Tears for Fears Atmos through Apple and could tell there was something wrong with whole listening experience, like something muffled or lack of clarity. I ordered the second bluray pressing and it sounds phenominal.

I personally feel that streaming is more compressed to my ears and recognizable right away. For eg: I listened to the Tears for Fears Atmos through Apple and could tell there was something wrong with whole listening experience, like something muffled or lack of clarity. I ordered the second bluray pressing and it sounds phenominal.
It’s compressed digitally - a lossy DD+ source - but dynamically the compression is the same.

Back