Soundgarden Superunknown box set coming with 5.1 mix on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sloppy authoring and no QA, they were not experienced with this type of production and not knowing what to check.

Amateur Hour ~ Sparks

From QQ deep space

Sloppy authoring and no QA, they were not experienced with this type of production and not knowing what to check.

Amateur Hour ~ Sparks

From QQ deep space

You da maaaaan..!! :worthy

fwiw, there are quite a few BD-A's with DialNorm embedded in their Dolby True HD streams, both Stereo & 5.1.. :mad:@:

You da maaaaan..!! :worthy

fwiw, there are quite a few BD-A's with DialNorm embedded in their Dolby True HD streams, both Stereo & 5.1.. :mad:@:

IIRC There's a DialNorm option on DTS HDMA also...

If I had a choice - give me LPCM ...

Turn dialogue norm off in your player, there should be zero difference between the two which is what I've found.

If there's an option to defeat DialNorm on any piece of equipment I've ever owned I've never found it.

afaik it's a mandatory thing that's embedded in the codec and can't be defeated but if you have a way please do show me as it's the near-ruination of some of these music discs for me.

We are talking about Dynamic Range Control arent we? Or is that something else alltogether?

Could be.. from what I can see in online discussions, DialNorm is something even some Pro's can struggle with.

Personally, I don't know what it is or what it does, I don't care, I just know it has a negative impact on the sound (more than just loudness) and if someone out there has some way of shutting it off I'd be a very happy bunny because its a total pain in the arse.

Mercifully the HFPA's that have both Dolby and DTS only have this "feature" on the Dolby streams, so I just choose the DTS instead.

well there is some stuff here on Dailoge Normalisation of you want to get into it.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=121087

I expect Neil Wilkes would be best placed amongst members to explain why it should not be used, but for Music discs I don't see any reason to use it The albums are mixed for best results you don't need some muppet then rejigging it with a variable value not originally intended

Dialog Normalization is not like a simple overall (all channels) volume compensation.
It's not intended for music ever.

From QQ deep space

Do you have a reference for that? Everything technical I've read suggests that it is just that. While the intent is to make "dialog" for all programming normalized, it is done with a simple volume shift of the entire program...

This from Dolby's official document on Dolby Digital metadata http://www.dolby.com/uploadedFiles/Assets/US/Doc/Professional/17_.AllMetadata.pdf

Dialogue level in a properly implemented Dolby Digital decoder can not be defeated. Dialogue level does not assert any compression or expansion on the program material, but simply lowers the volume of the audio to a standardized level.

They further refer to music only programming...

That is not to say that dialogue is required to set the dialogue level parameter. In music- only broadcasts, the dialnorm parameter can be best described as the average volume level of the program.

good to know DialNorm actually cannot be defeated after all.. I've tried over the years on various bits of equipment, believe me and I could never shut it off!

what I don't get is, if DialNorm was intended (in Dolby's own words) to lower volume, why the flipping heck does the Dolby True HD on Superunknown sound so much more horrendously loud, bright and horribly in your face than the DTS HD MA..?!? :mad:@:

Because..... Through a combination of EQ and volume selectively applied makes dialog appear to be louder as compared with the rest of the soundtrack. To not confirm this is disabled is not understanding the options and the desired audio outcome for these projects as opposed to movie soundtrack optimization.

From QQ deep space

Please show me a reference to a technical document that says that DialNorm adjusts EQ or selectively identifies and changes the volume of dialog. It just doesn't do that. It adjusts the volume, period. The intent was that after a soundtrack was finished one would be able to standardize the volume (this is basically ReplayGain).

I am in no way saying that the Dolby TrueHD choice is better or worse than the DTS one, but the existence of DialNorm shouldn't be a cause of any difference other than a volume shift. I would stick with PCM personally if available, why let some encoder/decoder specification get in the way. Otherwise, listen to each, see which you like better and go with that.

Because..... Through a combination of EQ and volume selectively applied makes dialog appear to be louder as compared with the rest of the soundtrack. To not confirm this is disabled is not understanding the options and the desired audio outcome for these projects as opposed to movie soundtrack optimization.

From QQ deep space

For all we know they fed different masterings into the DTS and Dolby encoders. There is simply no way to know. You could convert both tp PCM and compare the waveforms, that would be interesting to see if indeed there is any significant difference and what it is.

good to know DialNorm actually cannot be defeated after all.. I've tried over the years on various bits of equipment, believe me and I could never shut it off!

what I don't get is, if DialNorm was intended (in Dolby's own words) to lower volume, why the flipping heck does the Dolby True HD on Superunknown sound so much more horrendously loud, bright and horribly in your face than the DTS HD MA..?!? :mad:@:

I read the dial norm definition and I stand corrected. It has no application with music.

It certainly does, it simply attenuates the volume of the overall program.

The reason Sony stopped using it on their Blu-ray Discs is because they surveyed forum members at Blu-ray.com who overwhelmingly stated they'd prefer their discs without it.

Seems silly to include TrueHD anyway if you've got dts-ma, just do 5.1 PCM and dts-ma and you've covered 99.9999% of set-ups. Those with systems that can only decode Dolby over optical/Toslink shouldn't be listening to 5.1 music anyway because their system sounds like gash. lol

EDIT

Ok so does anyone know or have any idea that this may soon be either remixed or rereleased because the SDE is now pretty much available at a may I say a kind of decent price of just under $100 US including shipping from the UK? Or maybe being released as a STAND ALONE in the near future? Considering what some are asking for the Steven Wilson YES BR mixes, seems like a good deal to me

Maybe @edisonbaggins this is the AMERICAN BAND that Steven Wilson is doing a SDE remix of?!šŸ˜ā¤

Also just wondering when this came out they were boasting about this special HEADPHONE MIX that supposedly equaled an 11 Channel system, curious if this had in fact had a detrimental effect on the way the 5.1BR mix sounded.

Iā€™ve only heard the streaming stereo version of this SDE and love the EXTRA CONTENT, am wondering if it is worth picking up at this price or if anyone on QQ who HATES this wants to dump it cheaply to me.

Your quick responses would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year to all my QQ Family!!!

Last edited:
I finally found what should be the right contact email address.
http://www.ilovethatsong.com/soundgarden/releases/detail?id=15229

At the bottom of the above page you will find: "Have a question about an artist, album, song, concert tour, new release or catalog offering? Email us here at [email protected]."
I asked the following questions but you might want to send your own inquiry.

1. Who mixed the 5.1 mix ā€“ the actual person
  2. Who mastered the 5.1 mix ā€“ the actual person
  3. Where (which studio) was it mixed and mastered
  4. Content: what are the different mixes on the disc (5.1, stereo)
  5. Content: what are the different formats of each mix (DTS HD Master Audio, LPCM)
  6. Content: what are the bit/sampling rates (24/96kHz, 24/48kHz)
Wondering if this info is still good

EDIT

Ok so does anyone know or have any idea that this may soon be either remixed or rereleased because the SDE is now pretty much available at a may I say a kind of decent price of just under $100 US including shipping from the UK? Or maybe being released as a STAND ALONE in the near future? Considering what some are asking for the Steven Wilson YES BR mixes, seems like a good deal to me

Maybe @edisonbaggins this is the AMERICAN BAND that Steven Wilson is doing a SDE remix of?!šŸ˜ā¤

Also just wondering when this came out they were boasting about this special HEADPHONE MIX that supposedly equaled an 11 Channel system, curious if this had in fact had a detrimental effect on the way the 5.1BR mix sounded.

Iā€™ve only heard the streaming stereo version of this SDE and love the EXTRA CONTENT, am wondering if it is worth picking up at this price or if anyone on QQ who HATES this wants to dump it cheaply to me.

Your quick responses would be much appreciated.

Happy New Year to all my QQ Family!!!

Although WISHFUL THINKING on your part, MM, doubtful UMG would order a REMIX .... thereby 'ticking' off previous owners of this set who would probably demand a replacement disc. Just my 2 cents!

Back