Soundgarden Superunknown box set coming with 5.1 mix on Blu-ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WTF??? I can't imagine ever a situation where THIS much compression is warranted. Is this a joke JPG???

John Lennon said:

"Give Peace A Chance"

Now, Good Sir Keenly has given us more wisdom to live by:

" just let the natural dynamics flow"

Even very intense music needs to have dynamics. This is really amazing......wow.

Hey, did you miss the fade out at the end? :)

WTF??? I can't imagine ever a situation where THIS much compression is warranted. Is this a joke JPG???

John Lennon said:

"Give Peace A Chance"

Now, Good Sir Keenly has given us more wisdom to live by:

" just let the natural dynamics flow"

Even very intense music needs to have dynamics. This is really amazing......wow.

Indeed. I bet some thought I was being harsh or too picky. Unfortunately not. In fact I didn't slate the 5.1 mixes, they are tame, I do not mind. This level of compression though; NEVER EVER needed, NEVER EVER sounds good.

Crazy.

Indeed. I bet some thought I was being harsh or too picky.

Exactly. And in addition... some people think I make silly posts! :mad:@: Can you believe that? :cool:

Point is, ignore the haters. Its not your fault this release was compressed more than a piece of carbon turning into a diamond.

Some people think the record producer or band are Gods and are never to be questioned. We must just take what the Gods provide and never complain. People like you with your "test sets" were sent here from Hades to detroy us all.
OK - perhaps a bit over the top.

But, just becasue one uses his brain a little bit and applies a spot of technology to see what is going on, doesn't mean that we don't enjoy the music just as much as those "true faithful" who fear to question the great Gods.

Wih extreme compression like you have illustrated, there can be no upside, no matter how much one chooses to stick their head in the sand.

Next thing you know, some idiot here will be bashing 80's music, geesh!

Hey hey, why you are so frustrated about compression on this one.
Don't forget it is a slamming rock album!
It has to be more compressed than other styles of music.

So how did bands like Kiss, King Crimson, Alice Cooper, Nazareth, Rush, The Police, ZZ Top, The Clash, Van Halen, Deep Purple, AC/DC, etc. manage to release perfectly fine "slamming rock" albums that were DR12 or better? That is why I am frustrated about the compression. It is completely unnecessary. We had plenty of loud hard rock back in the 80's with more than double the dynamic range and no one was complaining.

So how did bands like Kiss, King Crimson, Alice Cooper, Nazareth, Rush, The Police, ZZ Top, The Clash, Van Halen, Deep Purple, AC/DC, etc. manage to release perfectly fine "slamming rock" albums that were DR12 or better? That is why I am frustrated about the compression. It is completely unnecessary. We had plenty of loud hard rock back in the 80's with more than double the dynamic range and no one was complaining.

@Cheezmo:

iMachine is German. They drink lots of strong bier which gets served to them by pretty plump women with real big, "you know whats" and they stand up on the table and dance around. They will listen to any type of music or sound while they do this. :smokin And they will be quite happy(y)

P.S. I love the reference of KC, Alice Cooper, RUSH, Van Halen & Deep Purple. There is some power in that mix. :phones :smokin :cool:

You compare old style rock with modern rock.
I am not a friend of loudness war, but in modern rock, I have no problem with heavier compression.

@Mr.Moore: You should drink more german beer.
Then you will use the whole range from 1 to 10 in your votings and you better remember which your top ten are. :).
Cheers!

I hope everybody's listening to the 5.1 in DTS HD MA and not the Dolby True HD.. the latter stream flags up +4 dB worth of Dialog Normalization.. :mad:@:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 172
I hope everybody's listening to the 5.1 in DTS HD MA and not the Dolby True HD.. the latter stream flags up +4 dB worth of Dialog Normalization.. :mad:@:

What is wrong with that? From what I've read, DTS is by it's nature 4dB louder than Dolby Digital, so it would seem that the +4db DialNorm on the Dolby would be intended to keep them the same on playback. Is that wrong?

What is wrong with that? From what I've read, DTS is by it's nature 4dB louder than Dolby Digital, so it would seem that the +4db DialNorm on the Dolby would be intended to keep them the same on playback. Is that wrong?

I've mentioned it here before, many HFPA Blu-ray's from Universal suffer from this anomaly.

The Dolby True HD on every Blu-ray Audio I've ever heard that has Dial. Norm sounds louder than the equivalent DTS HD MA and/or PCM - and that applies to both 2.0 and 5.1 streams.

Why you'd want or need or use Dialog Normalization on a 2-channel source without a centre channel nobody has been able to explain the apparent logic to me to this day (and I've asked the question several times here and @SHF.tv and @sa-cd.net).

Grab an HFPA or BD-A from Universal, check out the Dolby True and then the DTS HD of the same repertoire and see if you can hear any difference in volume levels. Chances are you can.

What's wrong with it here in particular, is that the Superunknown Dolby True HD 5.1 sounds significantly louder than the DTS HD MA 5.1.. and I don't see how that can be a good thing, especially with an already DR compressed mastering.

But it is purely a volume shift, there is no compression involved. I think it is silly and redundant to have multiple 5.1 versions in the first place, but I don't think DialNorm does anything harmful that adjusting the volume control doesn't correct.

I've mentioned it here before, many HFPA Blu-ray's from Universal suffer from this anomaly.

The Dolby True HD on every Blu-ray Audio I've ever heard that has Dial. Norm sounds louder than the equivalent DTS HD MA and/or PCM - and that applies to both 2.0 and 5.1 streams.

Why you'd want or need or use Dialog Normalization on a 2-channel source without a centre channel nobody has been able to explain the apparent logic to me to this day (and I've asked the question several times here and @SHF.tv and @sa-cd.net).

Grab an HFPA or BD-A from Universal, check out the Dolby True and then the DTS HD of the same repertoire and see if you can hear any difference in volume levels. Chances are you can.

What's wrong with it here in particular, is that the Superunknown Dolby True HD 5.1 sounds significantly louder than the DTS HD MA 5.1.. and I don't see how that can be a good thing, especially with an already DR compressed mastering.

But it is purely a volume shift, there is no compression involved. I think it is silly and redundant to have multiple 5.1 versions in the first place, but I don't think DialNorm does anything harmful that adjusting the volume control doesn't correct.

The DialNorm sounds detrimental to me on my gear and just lowering master volume doesn't seem to fix things.. but I don't expect anyone to just take my word for it, so you could maybe try it out for yourself on some HFPA/BD-A's sometime and see what you think? :)

Just got the box...:banana:

Yes - I prefer the DTS HDMA over the Dolby TrueHD...(y)

Good to hear Mike, thanks for the reassurance (I'm glad I'm not going crazy!) (y)

you know I'm not the most technically-minded around here but my ears are pretty reliable and to me there is a distinct difference on this one between the DTS HD MA and the Dolby True HD 5.1 streams..

..now, could a techno-boffin like yourself come up with some explanation as to what's going on with all this DialNorm for music jazzapalooza and whether its a factor., and/or why there's such an audible difference.? :p

Dialog Normalization is not like a simple overall (all channels) volume compensation.
It's not intended for music ever.

From QQ deep space

ah, I just saw you added "It's not intended for music ever" :eek:

that's all my DialNorm questions licked! :p

So its DTS HD MA all the way on these BD-A's then! :banana:

Back