Soundproofing Everything: From a Room to Building a Recording Studio

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Quad Guy

Quadraphonic Preservation
Staff member
Does anyone have any soundproofing experiences / info they would like to share?

Soundproofing is an important question for us music fans for which there can be many answers to. It depends what ones needs are. Whether you’re building a brand new “state of the art” recording studio or need to soundproof a room so you won’t disturb the neighbors and other people living in one’s house or apartment, soundproofing information can help us create and enjoy our music in peace. Also, one can crank up the music and play “All By Myself” by Eric Carmen in Quad without fear of people looking at you funny. :D

In my situation I’m trying to soundproof the traditional California garage that does not have any insulation or sheetrock on the walls (outside stucco) for Band rehearsals/recording. I’m trying to do it proper without it costing an arm or leg; however more expensive materials or ideas could be used and added to the info.

For instance, should anything else be thrown in between the wall prior to putting in the insulation/sheetrock? Or should such materials be put outside the finished walls?

There is another thing one should consider if a homeowner, keeping it code cool and perhaps building it in such a way that eventually the space could be converted into another room or living spaces.

The idea so far is standard roll insulation and sheet rock for the walls in one corner of the garage and building 2 walls inside, to build (more or less) a 12x12 room, leaving the rest of the garage “as is” for storage and tools. It might be a good idea to get an electrician to add extra wall sockets for the walls before adding the insulation/sheet rock. All of which adds more cost when there might be a simpler way to insulate the garage than building the 2 walls. Perhaps one wall 10 feet from the garage door, leaving space there for tools/storage might work as well with fewer building hassles. Careful thought in the planning stages will save many headaches from happening later on. I’m sure there are many approaches and ways to do this.

Obviously building a brand new “state of the art” recording studio is a completely different animal than the needs of someone who just needs simple damping down of sound in a living room. The needs of a broke garage band is a different problem as well. Perhaps one would like info to “fine tune” a room for listening enjoyment? So we hope to get as much information as possible for different soundproofing needs and perhaps distil the info into a PDF. Thanks.

Soundproofing – Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundproofing

First of all, there are two kinds of soundproofing, and each kind must be considered separately.

The first kind is the kind intended to keep your sound from getting out (to bother the neighbors) and other sounds from getting in (lawnmowers, trucks, and subwoofer-equipped boomcars).

The following materials and techniques work best for keeping sound from passing through the walls:
- Concrete (solid or block)
- Cellulose loose fill
- Double shell wall (the inside surface studs are isolated from the outside surface studs except at the sole and top plates. Use 2X6 for the plates, and stagger 2X4 studs so they do not come in contact.
- Two double-pane windows, one on each shell, where a window is needed.
- Airlock between two doors, with a right angle turn between them.
- Line ducts with foam insulation. Place a 2-3 foot cube box in the duct line, with the input and output ducts staggered.
- Use large registers to remove moving air noises.

The second kind of soundproofing is intended to prevent reflections and resonances inside the studio.

The following work well:
- Room dimensions must be different. If any two dimensions are the same (length, depth, and height), the room will have resonance problems, favoring certain frequencies. Room dimensions must also not be small integer multiples of the same number.
- No long flat walls. Break then up with discontinuities, objects, and shelves full of things. But make sure those things do not rattle.
- A shelf full of random sized books is an excellent reflection diffuser.
- A flat solid concrete floor is the worst surface. Get carpet.
- A hard surface near a singer and a mic produces unwanted reflections, causing a comb-filter effect.
- Some studios have one end reflective and the other end absorbing.
- Use movable curtains to control acoustics.
- Build thick cotton batts (or use mattresses) to separate performers.
- To isolate a guitar amp, place two chairs back to back with the amp and a mic in between. Then hang a thick blanket over the whole thing.

Another thing: Plan and install any cabling you want in the walls before putting the insulation and wall coverings in place.

Heresy! They are my cables, and I shall trip over them if I want to. ;)

:D:D:D

I run the snake across the floor, because I never know where the other end goes. But I put the surround sound monitor speaker sets on the wall with special outlets and hangers.

Get QuietRock for soundproofing! It’s an easy and effective way to cut out unnecessary noise from the outside, and have heard it’s great for studios too!

Hello OQG.

Send me an email to <[email protected]> and I'll send you some info that may be useful to your project.

Mediaroom spreadsheet

E-mail sent, thanks. The "Mediaroom spreadsheet" link did not work for some reason, perhaps you could check it again.

Thanks everyone for your input. I know I've sort of put up a "shotgun approach" to try to cover everything when in reality people will need specific things, for specific Soundproofing needs. But I thought by putting the info here we could sort it out rather than try to cross reference a bunch of threads that might repeat the same info. I will try to take all the info eventually and put them as PDF instructions for different sound needs.

In my situation at this point, I'm trying gather info and figure out what will work with our zoning laws, etc. Thanks.

Back