Soundstream early digital specs: sampling freq is 50K !

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kap'n krunch

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Found this very interesting tidbit of info on the LP liner notes of this recording which I had bought back in the day on CD (did NOT have this info anywhere)...a great performance and recording, it comes alive on the LP thanks to the RIAA encoding curve which enhances musical harmonics and makes it sound ALMOST like an analog one...
Curious how only 3 Schoeps mics were used to record it and how it was not compressed nor EQ'd ...
it's THIS ONE
https://www.discogs.com/release/162...ra-La-Mer-Prélude-À-LAprès-midi-DUn-Faune-Dan
and here is where it states the 50 K sampling freq
back copy.png

Found this very interesting tidbit of info on the LP liner notes of this recording which I had bought back in the day on CD (did NOT have this info anywhere)...a great performance and recording, it comes alive on the LP thanks to the RIAA encoding curve which enhances musical harmonics and makes it sound ALMOST like an analog one...
Curious how only 3 Schoeps mics were used to record it and how it was not compressed nor EQ'd ...
it's THIS ONE
https://www.discogs.com/release/162...ra-La-Mer-Prélude-À-LAprès-midi-DUn-Faune-Dan
and here is where it states the 50 K sampling freq
View attachment 82711

Yep--all those early Telarcs made with first-generation Soundstream recorders have those specs. I forget when they switched. I remember reading about the 50k sampling frequency in regards to (one of?) the very first digital recording(s) I'm aware of, which used a prototype digital recorder lent by 3M (from the accounts, it sounds like it was held together with duct tape and baler wire): the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra's famous recording of Copland's "Appalachian Spring."

.... I remember reading about the 50k sampling frequency in regards to (one of?) the very first digital recording(s) I'm aware of, which used a prototype digital recorder lent by 3M (from the accounts, it sounds like it was held together with duct tape and baler wire)....
AWESOME, thank you for the laugh!!!

Back