Spatial audio using Cider for Apple Music on Windows?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimumtumbleweed

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Does anyone have any experience using Cider (GitHub - ciderapp/Cider: A new cross-platform Apple Music experience based on Electron and Vue.js written from scratch with performance in mind. 🚀) for Apple Music on Windows? I am curious as to whether it is able to stream in Atmos through Windows. They advertise spatial audio as being available, but I cannot find any user feedback apart from one Chinese site that states: "About spatial audio: Cider's spatial audio is not Apple's official spatial audio, but more like a module with reverberation added." Not entirely sure what that means.

I don't currently have an Apple Music subscription, and I won't be getting one if this does not work as I do not own any Apple devices. Has anyone here tried it out?

Does anyone have any experience using Cider (GitHub - ciderapp/Cider: A new cross-platform Apple Music experience based on Electron and Vue.js written from scratch with performance in mind. 🚀) for Apple Music on Windows? I am curious as to whether it is able to stream in Atmos through Windows. They advertise spatial audio as being available, but I cannot find any user feedback apart from one Chinese site that states: "About spatial audio: Cider's spatial audio is not Apple's official spatial audio, but more like a module with reverberation added." Not entirely sure what that means.

I don't currently have an Apple Music subscription, and I won't be getting one if this does not work as I do not own any Apple devices. Has anyone here tried it out?

I'm skeptical, but like Mulder, I Want to Believe.

Windows 10 and 11 can process Atmos natively and, with the right media player (Kodi, VLC, Windows Movies & TV) and the right settings, pass it through to your AVR via HDMI. But "Spatial Audio" is Apple's proprietary container for Atmos (and other multichannel audio). So I'd be surprised to learn that Cider has figured out how to, uh, break the skin of--never mind pulp and ferment--the Apple...

I am skeptical. The “spatial audio” sounds like some sort of upmixing / matrixing process.

Looking at the GitHub project the only mention of Atmos playback was someone asking for Atmos playback with a response saying I can’t be added.

Looking at the GitHub project the only mention of Atmos playback was someone asking for Atmos playback with a response saying I can’t be added.
Darn... It's a real shame; Apple has a reasonable subscription fee and a lot of content, just unfortunate that they force you into their ecosystem. Perhaps it's the only way they can manage to charge half of what Tidal costs.

Back