HiRez Poll Spears, Britney - IN THE ZONE [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Britney Spears - IN THE ZONE

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Post your thoughts and comments on this title. (y) (n)

REVISED: Sine this poll was posted this disc was reissued as a DualDisc with a different 5.1 mix. It makes no sense why they would do this, especially since it's a well know fact that the newer 5.1 mix on the DualDisc is far inferior to the original mix on the DVD-Audio release.

Unfortunately, some of the votes in the DVD-A poll results reflect the poorer mix on the DualDisc. This occurred because 1) People did not realize there were 2 mixes, and originally there were not separate polls for each. Consequently, if anyone wished to change their vote to reflect this change, please do.

Below is a scan of the actual DVD-Audio. For reference purposed, the DualDisc is also shown, but that now has its own poll.

THIS POLE IS FOR THE DVD-AUDIO ONLY (As shown below)

TO VOTE ON THE DUALDISC SHOWN BELOW, PLEASE CLICK HERE
THIS POLL IS NOT FOR THIS VERSION

Last edited:
Once you get past the whole Britney thing (the breathy, processed vocals etc.) I think this disc is a lot of fun. It sounds great on my system and has a nice aggressive mix. Toxic, Showdown and Outrageous are standout tracks. I would give this one a definite 8. It's a decent pop album with a great mix.

Reactions: GOS
I agree with Bob. We've gone over this before and I really hate to admit that I actually like this disc. Ugh. I feel all creepy admitting I like a Britney disc. However, an awesome surround mix is an awesome surround mix, regardless of how repulsive the genre might be. But ya know, for mindless bubblegum tripe you could do a whole lot worse... I can't quite go 8, though... let it be a strong 7!

You guys are going to FORCE me to get this disc. :D

Maybe I can impress my neices with it!

Don't have it, never heard it, but it's funny that a disc like this has an awesome mix and some rock/pop surround discs have horrid mixes. Good for whoever did it.

I do not own this disc. I will not own this disc. I've heard it this afternoon though. Unmitigated drivel that lacks any semblence of musical content, which is why I gave it a two. I had to listen to my favourise Discipline Global Mobile compilation CD ('Sometimes God Hides', if you're interested) through PLII to get over the mental distress when I came home.

However, I cannot in all fairness fault the production or the mix, which is why I didn't give it a 1. They've done an excellent job considering the worthless junk they had to work on. In fact, it's an astonishing mix; very agressive (well, it needs to be to take your mind off the content ;) ) and some imaginative use of diagonal panning.
I suppose it could even be classed as 'fun', if you like that sort of thing, and if you like her looks the visual content might be worth looking at. While I'm not a fan of girls who look like Barbie-dolls, I think, no, I can see the appeal. And objectively it's better than Kylie. That's not saying much though is it?

Last edited:
(y)
Man oh Man, I am so glad to see similar reactions to this DVD-A that I had. My 15 year old son even laughed at me for liking it. My old 56 inch rear projection screen vibrates from the bass on this and it makes the static images that display during the song look like they are moving to the beat. :banana:

Thanks again for letting me know I was not alone regarding this DVD-A.

I too bought this one for two reasons - it was cheap, and I wanted to hear what could be done with a 5.1 mix of pure pop stuff. And yes, the mix is sensationally good; it was done, amazingly, by the team at 5.1 Entertainment with absolutely no involvement from the artist or the various producers who worked on the tracks. Apparently the brief given to the mix engineer was to "make it sound like the CD, only in surround". He's managed to pull it off flawlessly.

Terrific punchy sound throughout, some very aggressive use of the surrounds, and best of all, the two-channel original mix can be played digitally into your amp at its full 88.2KHz/24bit resolution. It's the only non-crippled DVD-A I own.

Well I picked it up based only on the posts here and I have to admit it is a fun album. It makes tracks that would normally be boring or average and makes them interesting. The surround mix is one of the best I have heard and the sound quality is very good as well. Pretty good stuff for bubble gum pop.

I got this thing yesterday @ BB, and the girl at the register looked at the disc, and asked: What is this? ( the disc was bottom side up) then turned it around and said: Man, this is Britney Spears! NOBODY buys this thing anymore!! and looked at me funny.

I just told her: You can't say that anymore.:sun

Just bought this today at Best Buy for $13.50. Had a coupon. One of the 10 or so dvd-audio discs that were left. The only reason there are any dvd-audio discs in that Best Buy is because they have them stashed under the music video dvds rather than having them in the same spot where the SACDs used to be. The store has no SACDs that I could find.

There's some good music on here. I'd guess this was her good album.

Be aware of dualdisc version of this album - it contains completely different surround mix, which is terrible by all means.

Be aware of dualdisc version of this album - it contains completely different surround mix, which is terrible by all means.

I just picked that up used at FYE for under $6. So what would the difference be? I haven't played it yet. It does have a "megamix" on the dvd side which I don't remember being on the dvd-audio version, but I'll have to check.

Well, I guess this is a pretty old thread. Not much chance I'll hear back.

I don't really like the style of the songs. It's definitely not as good as the "... Baby One More Time" album. Probably one of the worst Britney albums, even for Britney. "Toxic" is definitely the best track. And "Toxic" is even better in surround.

But, the production of the album is top notch. Too bad the content isn't quite there.

I don't really like the style of the songs. It's definitely not as good as the "... Baby One More Time" album. Probably one of the worst Britney albums, even for Britney. "Toxic" is definitely the best track. And "Toxic" is even better in surround.

But, the production of the album is top notch. Too bad the content isn't quite there.

Outrageous is better than Toxic, for me anyway.

The 3 music videos on the dualdisc are in PCM 16/48khz, rather than dolby digital that is used for the 2 videos on the dvd-audio disk. The only video in common is Toxic. The dualdisc is missing the Me Against The Music video, and the dvd-audio disk is missing Everytime and MegaMix (consists of Baby One More Time, and several other songs including Toxic).

One more thing: the dualdisc has region coding! Can't play it on my laptop computer, which is Region 2.

Last edited:
It's amazing that they would go through all of that disc re-creation for the DualDisc. I wonder which they made less quantities of

This has to be one of my favorites to date I would change my vote from 9 to 10 if I could. I also really like Amanda Marshall SACD as well but there is no poll for it.

This is also my new favourite. The lead vocals, the strong background vocals, and the constant electronic beat all combine to make an excellent surround experience. This is another stellar example of how high-res 5.1 will turn otherwise meaningless and forgetable music into something you just love hearing again and again.

Back