SpecScript 1.8 - 5.1 AND 7.1 upmix scripts and utilities (now 1.9)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^Thanks. I'll let you know how it works for me, if it does at all. I'll probably try sometime next week.

EDIT: I've just copied the SpecScript 1.8 Release folder to the Desktop of my Windows 11 23H2 Parallels virtual machine running on a non-AVX-compliant Mac Pro 5,1 running macOS Monterey 12.7.2. When I opened said folder in Windows Explorer, I saw three .bat files. I simply ran Install_SpecWeb. Much to my surprise, it ran without any apparent issues and installed version 2.4a6. After prepending %windir%\System32\conhost.exe and a space to the link Target, I dragged a stereo wav file to the relevant desktop SpecWeb icon and that generated a 5.1 version without any issues. I interpret that your coding of the SpecWeb executable is smart enough to use AVX/AVX2 on modern processors and just ignore AVX/AVX2 absence on older computers, which is truly awesome!

Now, I guess I should simply run the other two .bat files to have the full SpecScript up and running, correct?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have SpecWeb basic operations covered. Good to know that people can do that with Parallels.

You'll need to make a shortcut for SpecScript. You can use the instructions in the other thread.

The other two SpecWeb shortcuts are for live playback via SpecWeb and for unseeing the web interface to SpecWeb remotely. The idea is for those that don't have a computer near their listening position, so would site at this listening position with a tablet to make adjustments until happy and then "record" the output.

Reactions: EMR
I've created fine-tuned desktop shortcuts for SpecScript and Measure-Levels. Both work just fine. Many thanks for your fantastic surround tool. Truly astounding!

Here is the second public release of the next generation of my Spectral Upmix tools.

https://surroundbyus.com/sbu/download/SpecScript 1.8 Release.zip
First (circa 2006) there was "Spec" in Plogue Bidule, Then "SpecWeb" standalone in windows, and now in 2022 a set of opensource windows batch scripts and utilities for upmixing stereo to 5.1 and 7.1 surround.

Just Drag and Drop one or more stereo files the SpecScript.bat file and choose an upmix methos. I suggest you start with “5.1 feeling lucky upmix”, as it will automatically choose the "best" option for your input from the 6 other 5.1 methods, the two 7.1 methods, and the latest SpecWeb 5.1 method.

The output will be a multichannel flac file (6 or 8 channels as appropriate) with all tags and artwork copied from the stereo source.

SpecScript, by default, automatically measure the dynamics of the Stereo and Upmixed files, and set the parameters of a mastering limiter VST, such that the final upmix output loudness and peak levels should match that of the original Stereo to within 0.5dB (an in-audible difference).

The output files will be in the same directory as the input files. Output files are named such that you can tell which script/method was used.

Installation

If you have previously installed any version of SpecWeb, and use any Dot Net programs, there is likely nothing to install. Just unzip the distribution and you are ready to go.

If not, double click on "Install_SpecWeb.bat", and follow the instructions to install any needed libraries.
Parts of SpecScript (CenterCut) also need dot net 3.5. Windows should prompt you if you need it.

Please see the SpecScript 1.8.pdf file for more information.

Thanks to the QQ and SurroundByUs users that helped in getting SpecScript to this point. Over 1200 stereo tracks upmixed and tested to date.
Very cool, thanks.

If you are on the latest windows 11, you probably want this:

https://surroundbyus.com/sbu/download/SpecScript 1.9 Release.zip

Post at top of thread updated to reflect version 1.9. The change is just around the different cmd/terminals available in windows 11. SpecWeb needs the older version, which is no longer the default. Version 1.9 creates desktop shortcuts that use that older version, so you don't have to change your default, if you don't want to.

Last edited:

Post at top of thread updated to reflect version 1.9. The change is just around the different cmd/terminals available in windows 11. SpecWeb needs the older version, which is no longer the default. Version 1.9 creates desktop shortcuts that use that older version, so you don't have to change your default, if you don't want to.
I used to check from time to time, if there was any update in the app, thank you very much. It didn't work for me until recently in Windows 11, yes.

1712577150891.png

https://www.studio-22.com/pioneer-vsx-933

Hello, I am trying to play the audio on a pioneer vsx 933 Av receiver, it supposedly supports the audio but it does not play. Is there any standard for it?

If you mean that you are trying to play the output of SpecScript (5.1 flac 44.1KHz), directly on the Pioneer then maybe that the Pioneer doesn't like 5.1 flac files. I'd say to verify make sure a stereo 5.1 flac works first.

If that is the case, you may need to encode the output of SpecScript to some format that the Pioneer is expecting 5.1 on. Dolby would probably bee your best bet for that.

If you need help encoding to dolby (ffmpeg, included with SpecScript can do it) let me know and I will post a command line and maybe a script you can drag and drop on.

If you mean that you are trying to play the output of SpecScript (5.1 flac 44.1KHz), directly on the Pioneer then maybe that the Pioneer doesn't like 5.1 flac files. I'd say to verify make sure a stereo 5.1 flac works first.

If that is the case, you may need to encode the output of SpecScript to some format that the Pioneer is expecting 5.1 on. Dolby would probably bee your best bet for that.

If you need help encoding to dolby (ffmpeg, included with SpecScript can do it) let me know and I will post a command line and maybe a script you can drag and drop on.
I would be very grateful for that command line in Dolby please!!!

And if it would be possible in the next version or a script, to be able to maintain the temporary work files, for example, the mono wav files generated from 5.1 or 7.1. Thanks

Last edited:
ffmpeg can do Dolby in three flavors:

Dolby Digital: ac3
Dolby Digital Plus: eac3
TrueHD 0xFBA: truehd

for all of those, we need to convert the sample rate from 44.1Khz (most music, comes from CD sample rate) to 48Khz (most movies, comes from DVD/BluRay sample rates.

I prefer the sample rate converter in SOX, to that in ffmpeg so:

sox.exe -G -S input.flac -b24 output.wav rate -v -L -s 48000

You can find sox in "SpecScript 1.9 Release\bin\sox.exe"

Then to encode Dolby TrueHD in ffmpeg (from microsoft copilot):

To encode audio in Dolby TrueHD format using FFmpeg, you can use the truehd codec. However, please note that this codec requires the -strict -2 option. Here’s a basic example:​
ffmpeg -i input.wav -c:a truehd -strict -2 output.mkv

This command will take an input file input.wav and encode it into Dolby TrueHD format, saving the output as output.mkv.​
Please replace input.wav and output.mkv with your actual input and output file names. Also, ensure that your version of FFmpeg supports the truehd codec1.​
ffmpeg -i someFile.webm -c:a copy -c:v libx264 outFile.mkv

Please note that these are general guidelines and the exact command may vary depending on your specific requirements and the specifics of the files you are working with. Always refer to the FFmpeg documentation or consult with an expert if you’re unsure.​

For eac (dolby digital plus):

ffmpeg -i input.wav -c:a eac3 output.mkv

For ac3 (Dolby Digital):

ffmpeg -i input.wav -c:a ac3 output.mkv

You can find ffmpeg in

"SpecScript 1.9 Release\bin\ffmpeg.exe"

Oh, and it just occurred to me that Music Media Helper 7 may do all of this, but I'm not sure.

ffmpeg can do Dolby in three flavors:

Dolby Digital: ac3
Dolby Digital Plus: eac3
TrueHD 0xFBA: truehd

for all of those, we need to convert the sample rate from 44.1Khz (most music, comes from CD sample rate) to 48Khz (most movies, comes from DVD/BluRay sample rates.

I prefer the sample rate converter in SOX, to that in ffmpeg so:

sox.exe -G -S input.flac -b24 output.wav rate -v -L -s 48000

You can find sox in "SpecScript 1.9 Release\bin\sox.exe"

Then to encode Dolby TrueHD in ffmpeg (from microsoft copilot):

To encode audio in Dolby TrueHD format using FFmpeg, you can use the truehd codec. However, please note that this codec requires the -strict -2 option. Here’s a basic example:​

ffmpeg -i input.wav -c:a truehd -strict -2 output.mkv​
This command will take an input file input.wav and encode it into Dolby TrueHD format, saving the output as output.mkv.​
Please replace input.wav and output.mkv with your actual input and output file names. Also, ensure that your version of FFmpeg supports the truehd codec1.​

ffmpeg -i someFile.webm -c:a copy -c:v libx264 outFile.mkv​
Please note that these are general guidelines and the exact command may vary depending on your specific requirements and the specifics of the files you are working with. Always refer to the FFmpeg documentation or consult with an expert if you’re unsure.​

For eac (dolby digital plus):

ffmpeg -i input.wav -c:a eac3 output.mkv

For ac3 (Dolby Digital):

ffmpeg -i input.wav -c:a ac3 output.mkv

You can find ffmpeg in

"SpecScript 1.9 Release\bin\ffmpeg.exe"

Oh, and it just occurred to me that Music Media Helper 7 may do all of this, but I'm not sure.
I try.... thks

Well you can do your own research on more recent versions of ffmpeg, but it looks like it can't do 7.1 Dolby encodes.

You can try other formats, to see what the Pioneer will play in 7.1. Hopefully there is an intersection between a lossless 7.1 format, that the pioneer can play, and what you can encode (without spending big bucks on a professional encoder).

Good luck!

I understand that if we are positioned as in the red circle, the experience of the 7.1 rear first mix is more immersive?, and the rear first mode is perhaps better?

1712854776858.png

Last edited:
The two modes are only to address that there are multiple (or no) standards for channel orders beyond 5.1.

The idea is that one of them will be “correct” for the way you play back.

For instance my system is “sides first”, but if I want to encode with Dolby I need “rears first”.

The two modes are only to address that there are multiple (or no) standards for channel orders beyond 5.1.

The idea is that one of them will be “correct” for the way you play back.

For instance my system is “sides first”, but if I want to encode with Dolby I need “rears first”.
So if you choose the first sides for Dolby, I will do that sensei! ha ha ha

zeerround in SpecScript.bat Hello, could you add and modify the file SpecScript.bat so that by default it makes a 48hz 24-bit downsample and .wav output, it would save a lot of time and space, and life in NVME writes. Also music media helper needs .wav to encode Thanks​

Back