Spectrum - Billy Cobham & Thrust - Herbie Hancock - Audio Fidelity Quad SACD (Feb 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow , very impressive. These are titles that will sell, and jazz guys are always willing to do this type of release. just a different ego and outlook. But as i remember, the list of titles Sony had to ask permission to release, was very few artists. Dylan, Streisand, Floyd, Simon and Gar were the ones i remember. And any quad we wanted were available in the format of the day, hi-8 tape. So they have had the catalog digitized for a while.
One of the best stories i chat about is a fellow who has several hundred titles he mixed from doing radio shows as the sound engineer. Yep about every big artist but stones and beatles. We wanted to do some of them and Brad said let's just do the dead guys to start, less chance they will chase us down! One or 2 made it out as underground reels, but we never got anywhere as Brad got ill soon after, and shop closed up. Now if we can just convince him to let go of these! Just glad someone is doing the sony stuff, plenty of it. Lots of great titles left.

I'm glad I never pulled the trigger on the DVD-A! Was always priced-out. Patience is a virtue (so they say).

Indeed! :upthumb ..the DVD-A has excellent sound quality but a lacklustre surround mix imho.. the unreleased Quad mix is the stuff of legends..!! afaik one track from the Quad escaped the vaults and made it out on a CD-4 demo disc back in the day..? Can't believe it..

... any quad we wanted were available in the format of the day, hi-8 tape. So they have had the catalog digitized for a while.
One of the best stories i chat about is a fellow who has several hundred titles he mixed from doing radio shows as the sound engineer. Yep about every big artist but stones and beatles. We wanted to do some of them and Brad said let's just do the dead guys to start, less chance they will chase us down! One or 2 made it out as underground reels, but we never got anywhere as Brad got ill soon after, and shop closed up. Now if we can just convince him to let go of these! Just glad someone is doing the sony stuff, plenty of it. Lots of great titles left.

If I am understanding this correctly, there are titles to be circulated from your source. If there is anything I can do to assist please PM me.

Jazz freaks rejoice!

AFZ5-234 - Billy Cobham - SPECTRUM (UNRELEASED QUAD MIX!!!!)
AFZ5-223 - Herbie Hancock - THRUST (QUAD MIX)

Marshall has given me the go-ahead to announce these. I bet you will soon see a lot of Jazz fans selling their Spectrum DVD-A's. Especially the surround jazz fans. The SACD is a TOTAL REVELATION!! It's about as good as a jazz surround disc can get. If you have the UK Quad Demo from WEA, you already know how good "Quadrant 4" sounds in quad. The rest of the tracks are just as good.

Can we get a "Woo Hoo?"

Whooooooo Hoooooo! This is excellent news! A great time to be a quaddie!

So, Herbie Hancock is cool, so far. The closest artist I can compare him to is George Benson. Is that fair? Or maybe Tower of Power? Very cool stuff. Me likey.

Oh Herbie Hancock is much jazzier and more experimental imho.. and cooler.. the other two are more "by the numbers" kinda (but I love them all and hope Tower Of Power's Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now Quad gets reissued by AF in Surround too, have a soft spot for that one..) but best of all this bodes well for more Unreleased Warner (and Warner assoc label) Quads that have been rumoured over the years, etc.

Can I say "Woo-hoo"..? You just try and stop me.....!!!!! :D
Incredible news.

Tower of Power, Isley Bros, Dave Mason, Charlie Rich, Mountain, Raiders (lots of never released material), Santana, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Earth Wind & Fire. All CBS sony. Then the Motown guys were always hot to trot, hence Ohio Players and Marvin Gaye folks as i remember approached us. There is lots more worth finding.

I guess Loggins and Messina - "Sittin' In" has been pushed to the back-burner for now.

For those that do not know the unreleased quad mix, it's totally discrete. The guitars are planted in each rear speaker, with the drums and bass in the stereo fronts.

These guitars are clear as a bell and you would think the dude was standing next to you playing the guitars. I went and got my DVD-A to compare and it was no contest (for me). The DVD-A has the drums and guitars in the fronts, with ambient echos mostly in the rears. It's front-centric, IMHO.

The SACD is not. It's pure quad, and if you are a guitar player or guitar fan, you will LOVE listening to these two guys (Tommy Bolin being one of them) playing their guitars. I know I did. And will.
I love it when 1970s quad tapes are in stunningly perfect condition - and that reveal sound in such high quality. It's like they were sleeping beauties just waiting for the time when technology caught up for quad playback - like it was always meant to be.

A lotta nice tapes out there sitting doing nothing AP & MFSL!

Tower of Power, Isley Bros, Dave Mason, Charlie Rich, Mountain, Raiders (lots of never released material), Santana, Johnny and Edgar Winter, Earth Wind & Fire. All CBS sony. Then the Motown guys were always hot to trot, hence Ohio Players and Marvin Gaye folks as i remember approached us. There is lots more worth finding.

If AF can get all the remaining Quads out of the Sony vaults that I'm most fussed about..

The Isleys (x 4 = Go For Your Guns, Heat Is On, Harvest For the World, Live It Up),
The O'Jays (x 4 = Family Reunion, Live In London, Message In The Music, Survival),
Harold Melvin (x 2 = Black And Blue, Wake Up Everybody),
Dave Mason (x 3 = Dave Mason, It's Like You Never Left, Split Coconut),
Billy Paul (x 3 = 360 Degrees Of., Live In Europe, War Of The Gods),
MFSB (x 2 = Love Is The Message, Philadelphia Freedom),
Return To Forever (Musicmagic),
Minnie Riperton (x 2 = Adventures In Paradise, Perfect Angel),
Johnnie Taylor (x 2 = Eargasm, Rated Extraordinaire)
Tower of Power (Ain't Nothin' Stoppin' Us Now),
Ted Nugent (Free For All),
Poco (x 2 = Seven, Cantamos),
REO Speedwagon (x 2 = Lost In A Dream, This Time We Mean It),
Aerosmith (x 3 = Get Your Wings, Rocks, Toys In The Attic),
Billy Joel (x 2 = Piano Man, Turnstiles),
Blood Sweat & Tears (x 3 = G.Hits, Mirror Image, New City),
Blue Oyster Cult (x 2 = Secret Treaties, Tyranny & Mutation),
BT Express - Energy To Burn,
..the Santana's and Santana-related (including the John McLaughlin-Love Devotion Surrender, Buddy Miles Live and Azteca.. and all those Santana Quads worth having in surround.. which is almost all of them, about 12 Quads in total I reckon..!),
..all the Johnny and Edgar Winter's, the Rick Derringer's (All-American Boy, John Dawson Winter III, Saints And Sinners, Shock Treatment, Spring Fever, Still Alive And Well, They Only Come Out At Night, EWG With Rick Derringer... including the unreleased Quads of the Winter's and Derringer's.. there are said to be several live and studio Quads that never made it out involving these guys in some band line up or another, including EW's White Trash w/Jerry LaCroix, Johnny Winter And, Second Winter, Together..)
The Miracles (Love Crazy),
Weather Report (Tale Spinnin'),
Wild Cherry (Electrified Funk),
..and the remaining Earth Wind & Fire's (x 3 = Head To The Sky, Spirit, That's The Way Of The World)..

...I think my head will explode..!! :nuke

Wow , very impressive. These are titles that will sell, and jazz guys are always willing to do this type of release. just a different ego and outlook. But as i remember, the list of titles Sony had to ask permission to release, was very few artists. Dylan, Streisand, Floyd, Simon and Gar were the ones i remember. And any quad we wanted were available in the format of the day, hi-8 tape. So they have had the catalog digitized for a while.
I am under the impression that AF are going back to original analog tapes and not using previous digital transfers for their current line of surround layers on SACDs.

You mean your back burner...or the actual release date has been pushed back...because I don't see any indication of the release date being changed..

Oh, I never saw a official release date to begin with. Just Amazon links and rumors. Perhaps it's just simply forgotten about since there is no 4.0 to be included. Not important on this site's radar.

Oh, I never saw a official release date to begin with. Just Amazon links and rumors. Perhaps it's just simply forgotten about since there is no 4.0 to be included. Not important on this site's radar.

Actually one of the subscribers has already been billed for it...here..so it should be released on time...they haven't put the date yet because the subscribers get them first on their website HERE

wow - well that Herbie Hancock should be a stunner in Quad. I don't know much about Billy Cobham.....

GOS, you've probably heard Billy playing on other albums if not on his own. He's been a session drummer/band member for dozens of other acts, including Miles Davis, Stanley Clarke, Mahavishnu of course... The list goes on and on. The guy is monstrously good.

-- Jim

Back