Spectrum - Billy Cobham & Thrust - Herbie Hancock - Audio Fidelity Quad SACD (Feb 2016)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some are already spoiled because of Mobile Fidelity's stereo-only SACD program. "Brothers and Sisters" is definitely one of those, and I'm sure there are others also in that situation. Plus, I think you can throw out "Excitable Boy" for now, simply because Audio Fidelity released it as a stereo SACD a few years ago.
Finally, Universal's lack of participation thus far says a lot about the possibility of Multichannel SACDs from their library, including "Pretzel Logic"… :(

Voice of reason as usual.. :eek:

It just hurts to think of all that wonderful music we'll never get to hear in surround.. :(

Packshot for "Spectrum"

51sf9OCmx2L.jpg
They really should include something about this being the "Unreleased quad mix". Just an extra selling point methinks

They really should include something about this being the "Unreleased quad mix". Just an extra selling point methinks

Or at least mention that it is an original 1974 mix, so that the general buyer might be clued in that it is not the previously released DVD-A mix. This might be mentioned inside of booklet.

Well they may already be pressing this disc, but if they aren't, Jon and Brian should tell AF to add that to the front slipcase! Adding that on there certainly wouldn't hurt sales methinks… ;)

Well they may already be pressing this disc, but if they aren't, Jon and Brian should tell AF to add that to the front slipcase! Adding that on there certainly wouldn't hurt sales methinks… ;)

I don't know about on the front slipcase of Spectrum, but Marshall and I did chat about that earlier this week.

It sounds like Audio Fidelity may indeed highlight in their marketing that Spectrum's Multichannel SACD tracks will be a world premiere of the 1970's era Surround Sound mix that hasn't seen the light of day - until now (Feb 2016).
Could even happen in the Official Announcement of the two February Multichannel SACDs from AF.

We will see.

Are both of these titles totally instrumental music or are there vocals on some of the songs?

Were these "instrumental discs" ever previously released as DVD~As or SACDs or are they unique to physical disc?

Spectrum was mixed to 4 Channel Quad in the 1970s - but never released in Surround Sound. It was later released in 2001 on 5.1 DVD Audio with a different mix.
Thrust was available in the 1970s on Columbia Records SQ Matrix Vinyl LP and Discrete Quad 8-Track Tape.

Also worth mentioning:
"Some versions of Thrust come with a stereo cover, quad label and a letter
from CBS. It appears that CBS Marketing, trying to boost Quad awareness,
slipped SQ LP's into the regular Stereo jackets and enclosed the
accompanying letter"

Spectrum was mixed to 4 Channel Quad in 1970 - but never released in Surround Sound. It was later released in 2001 on 5.1 DVD Audio with a different mix.
Thrust was available in the 1970s on Columbia Records SQ Matrix Vinyl LP and Discrete Quad 8-Track Tape.

Also worth mentioning:
"Some versions of Thrust come with a stereo cover, quad label and a letter
from CBS. It appears that CBS Marketing, trying to boost Quad awareness,
slipped SQ LP's into the regular Stereo jackets and enclosed the
accompanying letter"

Brian, I thought Bob Romano was alluding to two NEWER AF QUAD SACDs other than Spectrum or Thrust. The February 2016 release date should've clued me in as to what he meant.

I'm keeping my Spectrum DVD-A, Some may not like the mix I've never had a problem with it, the only thing I don't like is that the 5.1 is one one side of the disc and the Stereo on the other side. Roll on the delivery of this most welcome SACD.

I'm keeping my Spectrum DVD-A, Some may not like the mix I've never had a problem with it, the only thing I don't like is that the 5.1 is one one side of the disc and the Stereo on the other side. Roll on the delivery of this most welcome SACD.

That could be an advantage over some dvd-audios, if it automatically starts playing.

hear hear Jon Urban. I agree with your sentiments completely. I remember somebody saying Marshall said when they first came out with these sacds, that we shouldn't buy them just because . to help the program or make sacd quads marketable, etc, etc. I believe Marshall said something to the effect buy what you like and don't worry about it.

I have not ordered the Herbie Hancock or the other jazz sacd coming out. they are not my cup of tea.I have pre ordered America, I'll buy the Dylan. I bought the Doors, Guess Who, BST, Sly etc etc, I will continue to buy both what my wallet allows and my heart desires.

hear hear Jon Urban. I agree with your sentiments completely. I remember somebody saying Marshall said when they first came out with these sacds, that we shouldn't buy them just because . to help the program or make sacd quads marketable, etc, etc. I believe Marshall said something to the effect buy what you like and don't worry about it.

I have not ordered the Herbie Hancock or the other jazz sacd coming out. they are not my cup of tea.I have pre ordered America, I'll buy the Dylan. I bought the Doors, Guess Who, BST, Sly etc etc, I will continue to buy both what my wallet allows and my heart desires.

If you are a quad fan, and a rock fan, but don't feel like you're a jazz fan, I think you would find your money well spent on the forthcoming SACD of "Spectrum". I know it's considered Jazz, and there is no vocal, but it's really good guitar and keyboard, from people who did a lot of rock. It's hard to describe how good the quad is on that one. I think you would be happier spending the money on Spectrum as opposed to the Dylan if you are not a big Dylan or live recording fan.

Spectrum, to me, is more towards rock than say the Herbie Hancock's or the Mahavishnu disc.

Jon - Is the Spectrum SACD similar to the Rhino DVDA version from 2005? I am assuming the DVD 5.1 was a new mix and the SACD will be the original quad mix.

Last edited:
Jon - Is the Spectrum SACD similar to the Rhino DVDA version from 2005? I am assuming the DVD 5.1 was a new mix and the SACD will be the original quad mix.

that's correct. Unreleased 70s Quad Mix on the upcoming SACD, while the DVDA contains a new 5.1 mix. The Quad will apparently be superior to the 5.1 mix based on what previewers like Jon Urban and Brian Moura have said. Really looking forward to it! :)

It's the unreleased 4.0 mix from 1973/4, as rtbluray has stated above (y)

Back